“Good quality, affordable prices”
Review of Osaka Restaurant

Osaka Restaurant
Ranked #58 of 201 Restaurants in Springfield
Cuisines: Sushi
Reviewed October 13, 2013

I like this Japanese place due to good quality food at affordable prices, especially the fact that lunch boxes ($8.95) are available on weekends -- both Saturday and Sunday until 2:30pm. After meal, the waitress also will bring you a small plate of fruit, which is complimentary. Many other Japanese restaurants charges $15+ for weekend lunch. We visit this restaurant since 2002 and are always happy with it.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

I've been going to Osaka for over 20 years now, and have seen the place go through several management changes over the years. In other words, the quality and service have varied since my first visit, but I never had a bad meal. I shall only discuss the new Osaka, and this review spans only the last few years (not 20).

I'm a huge sushi fan; I eat sushi several times a week, and make it at home too. I've had sushi on six continents around the world, including the Tokyo fish market in Japan, so I consider myself somewhat of a sushi connoisseur.

That said, I consider Osaka to be an excellent Sushi restaurant (top 10% on my list, and I've been to hundreds of sushi restaurants around the world). Now I specify 'sushi' because I don't think I ever ate non-sushi items there, so my review only applies to their sushi/sashimi.

Here's a breakdown of what I like and dislike about Osaka:

The good:
Rice - so often overlooked with Sushi. Rice here is perfect; room temperature, right texture and seasoning.

Fish - outstanding!!! Always super fresh and tasty. I always get the salmon, fatty tuna, sea scallop, eel, Uni (sea urchin), Ikura (salmon roe), and other other items.

Rolls - they have an extensive selection of sushi rolls; something to please anyone. I.e., two types of California rolls, two types of rainbow rolls....

Portions - generous! Their nigiri sushi has thick cuts of fish that cover entire rice area. When you put that salmon nigiri in your mouth the buttery texture of the fish melts in your mouth, and you feel like you're having really good fish with rice, and not rice with a hint of fish.

Presentation - excellent. They don't just slap food on the plate.

Ordering - you can order sushi on the menu by the piece, and it's always cheaper than other Japanese restaurants (sometimes, as much as 50% cheaper). You can order 1 Uni, 5 Salmon, and 3 yellow tail; no longer stuck with ordering in multiples of two. Given that the food is excellent, it's a win win deal.

Tips/recommendations: Try the sweet shrimp with the head (head is deep fried, and you eat it). Also, if you get Ikura, order the quail egg on top. Get fatty salmon if they have it. They usually have great daily specials on items; sometimes ~30% off.

Sashimi - as good as sushi.

Service - good and responsive.

The bad:
Not sure if it's really a bad thing, but Osaka is in an odd location. It's sits in the parking lot of the now defunct Springfield Mall, next to a car service center, and across the street from Bed Bath and Beyond. In other words, unless you know it's there (not visible from surrounding streets), you'll likely drive by. And if you do see it, you would likely question the quality of restaurant based on its location, and just drive by. That would be a mistake.

Salad you get before your meal needs to be upgraded a little. Dressing is good, but the lettuce is plain old iceberg, and even though it's always fresh...it's a bit like buying a nice expensive luxury car and getting cheap floor mats.

Osaka gets my highest recommendation!

Reviewed March 4, 2013

It was a Monday night and this place across from the Hilton has a Special on Monday nights with lower priced Sushi items. Food was fresh, served at the right temperature and service was great.