“Nice, but a bit of a walk to the Metro”

Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Springfield
Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in Springfield
A TripAdvisor Member
“Nice, but a bit of a walk to the Metro”
Reviewed October 30, 2005

We spent 6 days touring all the sites in Washington DC. We were looking for a hotel that was nice, but affordable, nothing fancy, but we wanted a kitchenette so we wouldn't have to eat all our meals out. We also wanted one close to a Metro station since we didn't have a car. I agree with one of the other reviewers, this hotel is somewhat close to the last Blue line station but it isn't right next door. If you take the walking trail (an asphalt walkway that parallels the freeway) it is about a 10 minute walk, not something I would recommend if you have a lot of luggage, but we easily made the walk each morning when we were going into the city to sightsee. At night, I would not recommend taking this path as it is out of sight of the road and seems a little sketchy in the dark. Instead we had to walk by the Springfield Mall which added another 10 minutes or so.

The hotel was perfectly nice, but nothing fancy. The staff was very friendly and helpful, they helped us call for a taxi to a grocery store (there is not one in walking distance) so we could stock up on food when we arrived. The only other time we used a taxi was to get from the hotel to the Metro stop when we were going back to the airport (Reagan National is on the Blue line also) to save us walking with our luggage in the rain.

Metro is awesome, we had week long passes and we wore them out. It is so convenient, but still be prepared to do a lot of walking between tourist attractions!

• Stayed October 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Warner Robins, Georgia
Reviewed September 26, 2005

According to the previous review the metro is steps away...NOT SO. I stayed at this hotel based on the one review and luckily I had a car. The metro is not right next door. It's more like 1/2 to 1 mile away. You have to cut through apartments to get there. I asked the hotel which way to go to the metro...since I didn't see it next door...and he said walk out the back, go behind the dumpsters and you'll see a path that will take you there. I followed directions and saw that it went behind the apartments. I immediately turned around. I went back into the hotel and asked someone else. The answer I then received was...well, the SAFEST way is to go up to the main highway, cross the street and head down by the mall. Walking that way would have been well over 1 mile.

As far as the safety factor...don't be fooled. This is the DC area and there is crime everywhere. The apartments next door do not have a good safety record...criminal activity. The mall also attracts suspicious characters.

As far as the hotel goes...it was fair. Nothing special.

• Stayed June 2005, traveled on business
1 Thank deborah2582
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 17, 2005

If you are seeing the sights in DC and the area or on buisness, this is the place to stay. It may cost a little more each night, but you will save the money with out having to eat out for every meal with the kitchen included. It is near the metro and every thing else. We will be staying with them again!

• Stayed April 2005
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
U.S.A
Reviewed February 12, 2005

While I haven't actually stayed at this hotel, I have lived in the Springfield, VA area right across the street from this hotel for quite sometime. I am surprised to see that there are no posts about this hotel. My husband and I said as soon as we saw it being built that there would be no better location to explore Downtown D.C. than from this vantage point. I couldn't believe how inexpensive it was either. I have stayed in various Extended Stay properties and all have been simple, yet clean and spacious. This hotel is within walking distance to Springfield Mall (which has 3 food courts), plus a shopping center that includes an Old Navy store and a TGIFridays. The metro is literally next door to the hotel. This is the closest hotel to metro in all of Springfield and would be an easy walking distance to it. The Blue Line is the only line train that runs into this station (The Franconia/Springfield Station) so it is virtually "dummy proof". ALL Trains from this station lead into the city, so you can't get on the wrong one. Get on the train here and stay on the Blue Line all the way to the Smithsonian Museum stop! Yes, there are much closer hotels to D.C. but the closer you get to D.C. the more money you are going to spend! Why break your budget and also risk staying in a hotel in a BAD part of town in D.C.? If you don't know the area, you can wind up in a bad part of town quite easily by just randomly picking a hotel off the internet. If you don't mind riding the Metro, just stay here. It is a safe bet for sure! This is a nice area, with many working professionals living nearby.

4 Thank AlwaysOnVacation