“Family Fun in DC”

Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Springfield
Cleveland, Tennessee
“Family Fun in DC”
Reviewed July 1, 2014

Upon our arrival we were met by Harold, a very friendly and knowledgeable front desk man. He started our stay off great. The two bedroom suite we stayed in was nice for our family of four. We we able to easily access DC and the metro station is close by if needed. My kids enjoyed the pool though the hours were difficult for us to take full advantage since we were touring all day. The breakfast did not offer as many options as other hotels I have stayed at but it was ok. My family and I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Shanda J, Manager at TownePlace Suites Springfield, responded to this review, February 3, 2016
We strive to provide a friendly and welcoming atmosphere for all and I'm happy to read you felt comfortable and enjoyed our services during your time with us. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Denver, Colorado, United States
Reviewed June 28, 2014

Stayed here with a lot of family for my grandson's HS graduation. For an extended stay motel, this was in pretty good shape. Front desk staff was very helpful and answered any questions we had. Rooms were in very good shape in general. In our room, the refrigerator door did not close tightly but that was minor. Only issue for us was how late it took to get the rooms refreshed...usually after 4:00pm! Hard to give an above average rating, but for an extended stay venue, it was really pretty good. I have stayed in a lot of extended stay venues and this was actually one of the better ones. Breakfast was also pretty decent for this type of accommodation.

Room Tip: No really bad rooms as you are off of the freeway. I like the upper floor so you do not get the noi...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Shanda J, Manager at TownePlace Suites Springfield, responded to this review, June 29, 2014
Hello Daniel S
Congratulations to you and your grandson! We are truly happy that you have chosen our hotel to be a part of such a special time for you and your family.
I am delighted you found our hotel clean, comfortable, and our hotel staff to be helpful. I am even happier reading that our hotel met your expectations. I am sorry about the issues you had with your refrigerator. We have found that some of our crispers were left askew after being cleaned which prevents the doors from closing properly. I apologize that you did not receive your refresh as early as you would have liked. Guest satisfaction is important to us, so rest assure that we take your comments very seriously. Thank you for your review and we look forward to serving you in the future.
Central Florida
Reviewed June 28, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is beautiful with a friendly and knowledgable staff. Beautiful rooms and property.

However, we had driven 14 hours and were so excited to arrive to sleep. I booked online and made notes of specific requirements. I then called the reservations number (not local, was unaware) to verify that we would have extra bedding, towels, and pillows in our room for our children. She verified that the notes were there. I called the actual hotel number to double check. She too verified we would have our requests waiting in the room. We arrived around 11:30pm exhausted. Not only was I not greeted or treated as a rewards member, but our extra requests were not in our room. I called the front desk where she asked if I could please hold before I even could ask. I waited for five minutes on hold before giving up in my fatigue. The kids shared a small blanket found in the closet with our pillows while my husband and I used the hard decor sofa pillows.
It was so disappointing and has created our continuing 8 hour drive less prepped. I work management for this company down south and take pride in knowing that each of our guests needs are met promptly and accurately. Please pay attention to notes, it might just make the next guests stay/trip a little more easy.

• Stayed June 2014
San
Reviewed June 25, 2014

Staff is nice and helpful. Other than that, not a nice place. Little investment in rooms, furniture and appliances are old and beat-up. Don't bother with breakfast. Graffiti in the parking lot tells some of the story when you drive in. It's quiet and linens were clean. They have a good location here, so was looking forward to the marriott typical experience but disappointed.

• Stayed June 2014
Shanda J, Manager at TownePlace Suites Springfield, responded to this review, June 28, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel - feedback from our guests both good and bad is always welcomed as it only helps us to improve our operations. I would like to inquire further as to your concerns during your stay so that we may fine tune our operations. I do want to be very transparent in saying that the claims in your review regarding the graffiti are misleading. Our hotel is located right off of the interstate ramp. There is a minimal amount of graffiti on the ramp which is city property not our parking lot. Our hotel sits back in a lovely housing development in Springfield VA. Our hotel share a parking lot with a large corporate office building that includes government and private corporate offices.

We understand that the TownePlace Suites as a brand is not for everyone; our amenities are adequate to our targeted TPS guest, or what we like to call “Just What You Need”. Our breakfast or Morning Break consist of an array of Bagels, Muffins and Danishes cereals both hot and cold. We also offer Boiled eggs and Belgium waffles. By offering “Just What You Need” allows us to be more competitive with our rates.
Again your feedback is very important to us and we would like to get some clarity regarding your comments. You can contact me at your leisure at 703-569-8060. Thank you again and I look forward to hearing from you.

Shanda J.
Provo
Reviewed June 19, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here recently while on business and had a great stay. I checked in late at night and the hotel staff already had my room key ready to go so check in was fast and convenient. They had a good breakfast selection. Overall, it was a nice stay and I would gladly take my family back.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Mea37

We strive to provide a friendly and welcoming atmosphere for all and I'm happy to read you felt comfortable and enjoyed the services our team provided during your time with us. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Reviewed June 3, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here with our family of seven for a week's vacation in May/June 2014. Was a little confusing to figure out how to get to the hotel, but once we found it, it was very easy to get to/from the freeway.

Pros:
- Friendly staff. From the moment we walked in the front door, we were made to feel welcome. Even though our suite wasn't ready yet, we were invited to leave our luggage with the front desk and go grab lunch and explore the area.
- Cost and availability. We were having trouble finding a hotel in the area with a two-bedroom suite at a reasonable price until we found this property.
- Having a kitchen with a stove, cookware, and utensils is nice - although we had to go and buy plasticware and paper cups since they only provide enough cutlery and plates for four people.
- Location. As I mentioned before, it's very easy to get to the freeway. Also, the Franconia-Springfield metro station is a short drive away, as are a grocery store, pharmacy, restaurants, and a Baskin Robbins.
- Quiet. We stayed on the 4th floor, and had no problems with road noise or noise from adjoining rooms.
- Clean. Overall, we were pleased with the cleanliness of our room and with the property in general.
- WiFi. Hotel wifi had a good, strong signal and seemed to have plenty of bandwidth for the occasional Netflix or Hulu movie.

Cons:
- Having stayed at other Marriott properties, I expected a two bedroom suite to have two bathrooms. One bathroom shared among seven people is not ideal.
- We repeatedly requested extra towels and toilet paper, but found that we were calling the front desk frequently when housekeeping failed (on a daily basis) to do this.
- The pool (as mentioned by other posters) is very small; we started referring to it as the "outdoor bathtub". It does appear that they have a full-time lifeguard, though; maybe a local regulation?
- Breakfast is not impressive (also as mentioned by other posters). We have two gluten allergies in our family, and there was nothing that they could eat at the hotel - so we either went out for breakfast or purchased breakfast food at Trader Joe's (nearby) that we prepared in our room.
- Common area. There's really not one, except for a small sitting area across from the front desk.

Overall, it wasn't a bad experience, but if we visit again we'll probably opt for a Residence Inn or similar hotel instead. For a smaller family (no more than four), visiting the DC/Virginia area the TownePlace Suites might be a good option.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank TX_Colliers
Shanda J, Manager at TownePlace Suites Springfield, responded to this review, June 6, 2014
Thank you, for the kind words. We will share these with our staff. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and thank you for the valuable feedback on the items that were not accommodating to your needs. Because TownePlace Suite is a Marriott brand it is often confused us with the Residence Inn. Our room accommodations are similar however there is a huge contrast in our amenities. Again, thank you for reaching out and we look forward to your next visit.

Shanda J.
Arona, Italy
Reviewed May 27, 2014

My husband is a long time resident of TownePlace Suites, Springfield, VA as he's working in the area. I drove to visit him for Memorial Day Weekend.

A big plus is nice having a fully equipped kitchen as he loves to cook, eating out only occasionally. The facility is a bit worn, but the staff is very friendly and accommodating. Breakfast is very repetitive with the same thing every day. The only protein is boiled eggs. It would be nice to have scrambled eggs and bacon or sausage.

There are several restaurants nearby within walking distance. The hotel van driver will take you to restaurants that are out of walking distance. The pool is small for such a large property. There is a gas barbeque grill and out patio furniture for those who like to be outside and grill like we do.

Overall, it's a good choice for a long time stay as opposed to renting a fully furnished apartment.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business