“AVOID THIS PLACE AT ALL COST!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Motel 6 Washington DC SW-Springfield

Motel 6 Washington DC SW-Springfield
Ranked #12 of 12 Hotels in Springfield
Chattanooga, Tennessee
“AVOID THIS PLACE AT ALL COST!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

First, we couldn't find the hotel from the interstate. It's a convoluted mess to get to it. It is in a very seedy, run down part of town and we didn't feel very safe. The desk clerk was rude. The place stank with some kind of sour cooking odors. The elevator looked like it was 100 years old. We had someone knock on our door - we didn't open it. About 11 pm the fire alarm went off and we had to evacuate while the fire department was called. They came and left in all of 30 minutes and we were allowed to go back in around midnight. The phone by the bed was dead. About 1 am, someone came knocking on our door thinking it was their room. The desk clerk had given them the wrong room number. The bed was old and falling apart. We will never never stay here or at any other Motel 6 again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Kathrine B
Mary G, General Manager at Motel 6 Washington DC SW-Springfield, responded to this review, November 4, 2014
We are under new management and have completely renovated the hotel. We are receiving very favorable comments. If you plan to travel through the Springfield, VA area again in the near future, please contact the General Manager, Mary Goff who will assist you with your reservation.
Mary Goff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Great Exuma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

This is the first 4 story Motel 6 I've seen. Situated in a traffic maelstrom just south of Washington, DC, it took a solid GPS (Miss Garmin Nuvi) to help navigate the twists and turns to arrive. Plenty of parking was available. Reception was pleasant and we did get a 4th floor room not facing the expressway.

Pricier than other Motel 6s, it did not offer anything extra, except perhaps location, but even then. The windows did open allowing in some "fresh air". We did not venture out too far as there was a large shopping centre close by. Walking would be nuts as the streets in this area are not pedestrian friendly and we wanted to keep the GPS fresh for the next day.

Luckily, there was a Five Guys restaurant a stone's throw away. The sleep was a typical bare bones Motel 6 sleep.

Room Tip: Higher floors NOT facing the expressway.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Alexandria, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

I was recently forced to stay at this property while the power was out in my home. The location is right off the highway and convient. The bad news is... Gang like members hanging in the parking lot, this is motel is party central. The rooms are left over from when this property was a Red Roof Inn. The overall condition is poor. The security and activities taking place on this property is very concerning. Stairwell doors not secure. I would never allow my parents to stay at this property.....very dangerous at night. I did not feel safe parking my car in the lot.
The security was so bad I actually thought of going back to my home and bringing my 9MM with me.......That bad! If you only have $69 and are able to tolerate major security issues this property might work in a pinch. My advice.....stay away...actually run away. Note: They do allow dogs of al sizes.

Room Tip: Front rooms face interstate and morning sun. Best advice....Dont choose any room.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Los Angeles
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

Staff was cordial and helpful. Features are no more or less than one would expect at Motel 6. Convenient access to Interstate highways, but not quite walking distance to the Metrorail station that will give you a comfortable ride into the center of the nation's capital. The room was just a little smelly, which is often a sign of infrequent deep, professional carpet cleaning.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
New York City
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

This used to be a great budget motel years ago when it was a Red Roof Inn. But it's gone seriously down hill after that. You're greeted by a foul odor in the hallways. The rooms are basic at best. My room had a few tears in the comforter and everything was damp to the touch. Had to call maintenance because the toilet didn't flush. But they were prompt when I called. Ample parking but if you're out late it may be a challenge. Also, there were some shady characters hanging out in the parking lot drinking beer til about 9pm (they looked like day laborers maybe). The upside is that it was only $69 a night, close to 95, and theres a Subway and Five Guys next door. So if you don't mind a little mildew for a night, and are really on a tight budget, then go for it.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Newport News, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

I read the reviews and wasn't sure...then read a review from a stay in March 2012. I figured I would try the place. I was not disappointed. I didn't expect a 5 star hotel...I just wanted clean and safe. My daughter and I had a great time in the DC area and returned each night to a clean room. I never smelled anything but bleach in the hallway. That is a clean smell to me. The staff was nice and took care of us. I would stay again and would recommend the place to others.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
2 Thank K P
Nekoosa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2012

We stayed in Motel 6 in Springfield VA (just south of Washington DC) and although it was clean that's all we can say about it -

Negatives:

-had to pay for WI-FI ($3/day)
-no clock
-left comment sheet but no pen to write with
-telephone didn't work for local phone calls
-cigarette burns in the bedspread
-rips (holes) in the carpet
-no phone book on the room
-furniture was marred (scratched so not pleasing to look at)
-one chair to sit in (two in our party)
-no kleenex
-no shampoo

It was cheaper than other motels in the area, so as indicated YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple