“Good hotel but terrible internet”

Courtyard Springfield
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Springfield
Reviewed April 30, 2009

As a business traveler it is very important to me to stay connected to work. When the internet was up, only 75 percent of the time, it was throttled at 30kb. Any type of download took hours. The review asks if it has hi-speed internet, the hotel says it does but 30kb's is slower than dial-up so be warned.

My two rooms were very clean and very nice, with large flat screen Phillips tv's that had a fully functional HDMI port that I used. The many other connections were probably also functional but I did not test. This is something that you DO NOT get at Hilton hotels, all their ports are blocked so they can charge you for their simple programming. Although the furniture, bed, bathroom, etc were new looking and fresh I had a small problem that made me change rooms. The ground floor room had been invaded by a few earth worms over the evening as there was a lot of rain during that week. No other issues with bugs were ever found after that.

The breakfast was GREAT and the staff at breakfast were very kind and friendly.

The floors were probably wood as you could hear the folks on the floor above yours pretty well. The air conditioners were wall units that did not have a thermostat but were sufficiently quiet and efficient. They did blow right on the work table which I do not like but is easily solved with a towel over it to direct the air down.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Courtyard Springfield

Reviewed February 13, 2009

I stayed at this hotel with my school group for a week while touring Washington. The room wasn't anything special, but was clean and had flat screen TVs. Each day we left early, and didn't get back until around 10 or 11 at night. All was well until the 3rd day.

Everyone goes into their rooms and find extreme problems. Items stolen, hidden, and placed in OTHER rooms. We had our suitcases zipped up and would return to find them unzipped and our items not where we left them. Clothes, cameras, cell phones, medications, and makeup are just some of the things TAKEN from the rooms. May I also add these things were NOT left out in the open.

The next issue was items being hidden in the rooms. People found their shoes in the back of drawers, items behind the beds, earrings under the screwed in TV. We believe that the maids did this so we would forget our belongings and they could take them.

The last major issue of this is items being place in other people's rooms. Razors, body wash, bags ( just to name a few) were found in OTHER peoples rooms.

Our lead teachers contacted the head of the hotel...but we left and nothing has been resolved and we still do not have our belongings back.

I would NEVER stay at this hotel EVER, and hope others take this post into consideration before staying there.

• Stayed: February 2009
4  Thank car0lina19
Reviewed January 2, 2009

We stayed here during the Christmas holiday since our family's home was not large enough. We traveled with our 14 month old. For the most part, it was a nice stay. Breakfast is not included, which is 11.95 for an adult and 5.95 for child (buffet). Also, we reserved a room with a crib, and of course, the crib was not in the room when we got there, but a call to the front desk and she brought it up almost immediately. It really did haven't crib sheets, so we used a blanket we had brought and wrapped it under the mattress. The room was clean and had a flat screen, microwave and small fridge. We did use the pool and there was a lifeguard there. The pool was even open all day Christmas day. we saw the fitness center, but we never used it. A typical hotel fitness center. Front staff was fine. Nothing was over the top good, but fine. Parking was easy and free and close to the main entrance. Location was close to the mall and restaurant, but would probably recommend driving to those places.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed August 24, 2008

Very clean hotel, excellent breakfast buffet but other than that, the staff made several errors. Rate was $119 with included breakfast buffett for two adults and two children only. No exceptions. Here are some issues that were not acceptable about our stay.

First, when making the reservation, I asked for one room to be wheelchair accessible. I was traveling with my grandparents who needed the room to accommodate their needs. They are in their eighties and need some assistance so I asked when making the reservation to have an adjoining door between our rooms. I was told that this hotel did not have rooms like that but a request would be made to have our rooms close together. Needless to say I was disappointed when checking in and found that there indeed was a room next to the wheelchair accessible room that had an adjoining door. I was told later that this error was due to "central registration". Even though I called the hotel's direct number, I was transferred to a central registration office.

Also, when making the reservation, I was offered the breakfast buffet for an additional $10 added on to the room rate. I asked if this included everyone who stayed in the room and I was told it would. When I asked at check-in (around 6:30 pm) to verify the information, the young man stated that it would only include two adults and two children. I pointed out to him that I had specifically asked when making my reservation if everyone in the room would be included and that I was disappointed that I was given the wrong information. I understand sometimes the wrong information can be given out, but instead of offering any kind of apology for the mistake, this young man was very dismissive and short with his response, blaming it on “central registration.”
This young man also stated the correct information about the buffet could be found on the confirmation email but I have checked and could not find it anywhere. It seems he would benefit from some training in customer courtesy.

This same young man was also dismissive to my sister’s question about why all the drink vending machines were empty. The hotel has four floors and all floors had empty vending machines. He blamed that problem on the “Pepsi man” not coming to fill them and that this happened often.

The pool was nice but there was a "lifeguard" who basically reprimanded my child for everything a child does in a pool (splashing, jumping in). The "lifeguard" was quick with yelling at my child but she was also quick taking her cigarette breaks.

Finally, although we did enjoy the food at the breakfast buffet, we had somewhat of a hard time enjoying breakfast since the woman who seemed to be in charge could not wait until we were finished eating to collect our coupons for the buffet and find out how much to charge us. Again, we were traveling with our grandparents and were trying to enjoy a meal and conversation with them. When I told her I would like to finish my meal first, the response I received was “Well, I have to know how many people there are.” I understand business travelers during the week probably are in a rush but this was a Saturday morning and there was no need to be interrupted like we were.

Overall, this hotel put a damper on my visit to the DC area. When these issues were pointed out, the front dest manager just offered an apology. Reserve your rooms with caution.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed August 10, 2008

If you are a family with young children, stay at a different hotel. Brent at the front des[ was fine, did his job, but certainly did not go the extra mile. The room was very clean, new carpet, and the bed linen was pretty and inviting. But please come prepare to experience the worst sleep of your life; the mattresses should have been retired long ago. At the pool there was a young man, who called himself a lifeguard but acted more like a security guard. My children, ages 3, 4, and 5, were scolted for doing everything but sitting. It was very uncomfortable to have a 'watch dog' within 10 feet of us. When I asked Brent about it, he simply stated that Virginia Law required a lifeguard at all times at a hotel pool. Ironic, the night before we also stayed at a different Marriot in Va. and it didn't have a lifeguard!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed February 29, 2008

I booked on priceline and was able to get a rate of $60/night and stayed for four nights.
I was pleasantly surprised by the cleanliness (I'm really picky about that, I'm one of those people who looks under everything). Not a stain, odor, or discoloring on any sheet or towel I had, only the clean smell of detergent and bleach. Everything was super clean. The whole hotel is non smoking, so no lingering odors to worry about. The furnishings all seemed relatively new and were pretty stylish. The bed was nice and included a real comforter (not bedspread) along with feather pillows, and you can request different types of pillows, including foam.
There was a flat screen TV with HD service, a one cup coffee maker, tea bags (green tea and english breakfast), two telephones, free high speed internet (not wireless in room), and windows that open.
During the week, the pool is only open from 5-10pm, weekends from 10-10. The gym is open 5am to 11pm. The breakfast is 9.95 for the buffet, with other meals ranging from $8-10. There are no microwaves or refrigerators in the room, but there is a microwave in the lobby area. There are ice machines on each floor. There was an alarm clock radio in my room, no CD player. Also there are real full sized hair dryers in the room, not the little ones that you would usually find hung on the wall which lightly blow lukewarm air at your hair.
Free daily USA Today and there is roomservice available from 6-9pm, with reasonable prices. There's an ATM machine and pay phones by the fitness room.
Tons of chain restaurants and stores in the immediate area and very convenient to DC and the Metro, but not within walking distance to the metro.
The only thing I disliked was the heater in my room. It seemed pretty old, very contradictory to everything else in the room. It had two speeds, high and higher, both being pretty loud. So I would turn it on and roast, then turn it off and get cold. But it wasn't too bad since I was on the top floor, the temp stayed warm enough for me with the heat off.
I would love to stay here again when in the area but I'm not sure I'd pay the regular $201 rate for my room.
Still, I slept like a baby here and everything was clean and the staff was very friendly. I didn't ask their assistance for anything, but they were very friendly on check in.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank scooter028
Reviewed November 6, 2007

This hotel is a clean, basic hotel. Nice little shop downstairs to buy snacks and beer. The front desk printed out our directions where we needed to get, and offered us a cab as well.

We thought it was closer to the metro, but it wasnt. they were willing to show ushow to get there though.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple