“Not what I asked for at all”

Courtyard Springfield
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Springfield
Reviewed August 24, 2008

Very clean hotel, excellent breakfast buffet but other than that, the staff made several errors. Rate was $119 with included breakfast buffett for two adults and two children only. No exceptions. Here are some issues that were not acceptable about our stay.

First, when making the reservation, I asked for one room to be wheelchair accessible. I was traveling with my grandparents who needed the room to accommodate their needs. They are in their eighties and need some assistance so I asked when making the reservation to have an adjoining door between our rooms. I was told that this hotel did not have rooms like that but a request would be made to have our rooms close together. Needless to say I was disappointed when checking in and found that there indeed was a room next to the wheelchair accessible room that had an adjoining door. I was told later that this error was due to "central registration". Even though I called the hotel's direct number, I was transferred to a central registration office.

Also, when making the reservation, I was offered the breakfast buffet for an additional $10 added on to the room rate. I asked if this included everyone who stayed in the room and I was told it would. When I asked at check-in (around 6:30 pm) to verify the information, the young man stated that it would only include two adults and two children. I pointed out to him that I had specifically asked when making my reservation if everyone in the room would be included and that I was disappointed that I was given the wrong information. I understand sometimes the wrong information can be given out, but instead of offering any kind of apology for the mistake, this young man was very dismissive and short with his response, blaming it on “central registration.”
This young man also stated the correct information about the buffet could be found on the confirmation email but I have checked and could not find it anywhere. It seems he would benefit from some training in customer courtesy.

This same young man was also dismissive to my sister’s question about why all the drink vending machines were empty. The hotel has four floors and all floors had empty vending machines. He blamed that problem on the “Pepsi man” not coming to fill them and that this happened often.

The pool was nice but there was a "lifeguard" who basically reprimanded my child for everything a child does in a pool (splashing, jumping in). The "lifeguard" was quick with yelling at my child but she was also quick taking her cigarette breaks.

Finally, although we did enjoy the food at the breakfast buffet, we had somewhat of a hard time enjoying breakfast since the woman who seemed to be in charge could not wait until we were finished eating to collect our coupons for the buffet and find out how much to charge us. Again, we were traveling with our grandparents and were trying to enjoy a meal and conversation with them. When I told her I would like to finish my meal first, the response I received was “Well, I have to know how many people there are.” I understand business travelers during the week probably are in a rush but this was a Saturday morning and there was no need to be interrupted like we were.

Overall, this hotel put a damper on my visit to the DC area. When these issues were pointed out, the front dest manager just offered an apology. Reserve your rooms with caution.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family

Reviewed August 10, 2008

If you are a family with young children, stay at a different hotel. Brent at the front des[ was fine, did his job, but certainly did not go the extra mile. The room was very clean, new carpet, and the bed linen was pretty and inviting. But please come prepare to experience the worst sleep of your life; the mattresses should have been retired long ago. At the pool there was a young man, who called himself a lifeguard but acted more like a security guard. My children, ages 3, 4, and 5, were scolted for doing everything but sitting. It was very uncomfortable to have a 'watch dog' within 10 feet of us. When I asked Brent about it, he simply stated that Virginia Law required a lifeguard at all times at a hotel pool. Ironic, the night before we also stayed at a different Marriot in Va. and it didn't have a lifeguard!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed February 29, 2008

I booked on priceline and was able to get a rate of $60/night and stayed for four nights.
I was pleasantly surprised by the cleanliness (I'm really picky about that, I'm one of those people who looks under everything). Not a stain, odor, or discoloring on any sheet or towel I had, only the clean smell of detergent and bleach. Everything was super clean. The whole hotel is non smoking, so no lingering odors to worry about. The furnishings all seemed relatively new and were pretty stylish. The bed was nice and included a real comforter (not bedspread) along with feather pillows, and you can request different types of pillows, including foam.
There was a flat screen TV with HD service, a one cup coffee maker, tea bags (green tea and english breakfast), two telephones, free high speed internet (not wireless in room), and windows that open.
During the week, the pool is only open from 5-10pm, weekends from 10-10. The gym is open 5am to 11pm. The breakfast is 9.95 for the buffet, with other meals ranging from $8-10. There are no microwaves or refrigerators in the room, but there is a microwave in the lobby area. There are ice machines on each floor. There was an alarm clock radio in my room, no CD player. Also there are real full sized hair dryers in the room, not the little ones that you would usually find hung on the wall which lightly blow lukewarm air at your hair.
Free daily USA Today and there is roomservice available from 6-9pm, with reasonable prices. There's an ATM machine and pay phones by the fitness room.
Tons of chain restaurants and stores in the immediate area and very convenient to DC and the Metro, but not within walking distance to the metro.
The only thing I disliked was the heater in my room. It seemed pretty old, very contradictory to everything else in the room. It had two speeds, high and higher, both being pretty loud. So I would turn it on and roast, then turn it off and get cold. But it wasn't too bad since I was on the top floor, the temp stayed warm enough for me with the heat off.
I would love to stay here again when in the area but I'm not sure I'd pay the regular $201 rate for my room.
Still, I slept like a baby here and everything was clean and the staff was very friendly. I didn't ask their assistance for anything, but they were very friendly on check in.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank scooter028
Reviewed November 6, 2007

This hotel is a clean, basic hotel. Nice little shop downstairs to buy snacks and beer. The front desk printed out our directions where we needed to get, and offered us a cab as well.

We thought it was closer to the metro, but it wasnt. they were willing to show ushow to get there though.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 28, 2007

The room was clean, but it was so damp from the humidity even with the air conditioner on. The carpet felt very damp. Services were ok. Also, the pool was only open from 10am to 9 or 10pm. The kids were VERY dissapointed about not being able to swim in the morning and by the time we got back from sight-seeing and visiting with relatives, it was too late to swim.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed July 15, 2007

Stayed at the Courtyard for 1 night. The hotel is clean, no noise, and very handy for the Autotrain. We would stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed April 22, 2007

Springfield is home of the I-95 "Mixing Bowl" - not exactly the sexy destination of hotel choices... BUT... it is very convenient for commuting into DC and gives you far better pricing on hotels. Tops among the area hotels are the two Marriott properties: the Courtyard and the Residence Inn. The Courtyard provides consistent Courtyard quality, and you can often find very good rates.

The Metro is near but not really close enough to walk, so bring cash to pay for parking and the Metro. I always beat my Metro-dedicated colleagues when I drove into DC from Springfield... but then I had to pay $18/day to park at the Ronald Reagan complex. When they car-pooled with me, we could get in/out even quicker using the HOV lanes.

There are plenty of nearby eateries, including across I-95 at the local mall. Very close to the hotel is a Bob Evans, a Vietnamese restaurant, and a Chinese buffet patronized mostly by Chinese... all three restaurants have consistently good quality. Over by the mall is a small, but delightful Thai restaurant.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled on business