“Just another Courtyard” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Springfield
Durham, North Carolina
“Just another Courtyard”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2012

I was so hopeful. When I checked in around 11pm after aircraft maintanence delays, I was thrilled when the hotel check-in person gave me a bottle of water! I ran up to my room and was greeted with a stuffy stuffy room. Went to turn on the A/C and couldn't find the thermostat. It was a window unit with a little knob! Can't remember the last time I saw one of "those" units in a Courtyard! Well, I couldn't get the unit to start. Called down and they brought up a new set of keys for a new room. Problem solved. Phew!
Comfy bed. Really comfy bed.
Work out room is really nice. Big. With more than one treadmill....
The lobby is nice, being recently re-done.
Be sure to ask for a newspaper when you check-in, as there aren't any in the lobby in the morning!
Overall it's decent, but the whole no-thermostat-have-to-get-up-to-change-the-temp thing is a pain and doesn't lend itself to a good night sleep.
PS. It's near NOTHING!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Springfield_CY_GM, General Manager at Courtyard Springfield, responded to this review, May 5, 2012
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for your comments. I apologize for the inconvenience during your stay. I am pleased that our staff was able to accommodate your needs immediately. As a valued guest, we want to make sure we accommodate your requests as well. Please feel free to let us know when you are making a reservation of your preferences so we can make sure it is done prior to your arrival. We thank you again for choosing our hotel and look forward to accommodating your stay in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Arabic first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2012

Reasonable price, close to both airports, helpful friendly staff, very easy access to 95S, 495 N or South, 395 N. It is a business hotel, has nice convenience store on premises, close to mall. Very reasonable functional stay. I like staying here, when I am doing business south of DC up to Pentagon. Close to both airports.

Room Tip: Stay on the first floor.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for your comments. Just wanted to inform you about our recent upgrade in our internet.
We thank you for choosing our hotel and look forward to accommodating your stay in the future.
South Florida, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2012

I have to say, that because of very recent negative reviews of this Courtyard, I almost didn't stay here. But, the AAA rate was just too good to pass up ($94, includes good breakfast). I always trust my fellow Trip Advisors and rely on them for good places to stay; I was nervous about it because of some of the reviews.

What I found was a great hotel -- I guess I got lucky because I have nothing at all negative to say. The hotel is huge. Very clean and modern lobby (the newer style of Courtyard). There's a restaurant inside where you can order breakfast. It's not cheap, but it's very good. I got an AAA rate of $94 that included the breakfast (it would have been $84 without breakfast). The breakfast was delicious! A real breakfast of eggs, toast, and potatos. Very good service in the restaurant - you order at a counter, and they bring it to you.

Now, the room. It was super clean and big. Nice comfy bed and a little couch by the window. The bathroom was clean and nice. It also had a frig. There is a washer and dryer (coin-operated) on the first floor.

When I checked in, the girl checking me in was very nice and helpful. Very friendly and was accommodating when I asked for a certain room.

The location of this hotel is about 9 miles from downtown DC. It's a quick drive on the interstate, which is practically right outside the hotel door. There was plenty of free parking at the hotel.

What I liked about the Courtyard was the location. I was close enough to DC without having to pay downtown prices and the parking issues.

It was a great stay; I will definitely stay here again. Oh, and there is a big mall right across the street (might even be in walking distance). I didn't go in the mall, but I did see that it was huge.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Indian Trail, North Carolina, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2012

We stayed in Feb of 2012 for a long weekend funeral/site-seeing trip. We got a fantastic rate and I think this hotel was a terrific value for $89 a night for 4 people sharing a room. The housekeeping did a great job each day though the hallways seem to be dated and dark. The room was above adequate and the small interactions we had with staff were fine as well. We are very non-demanding hotel guests and had no issue at all with this property. I do wish they offered shuttle service to the Metro and this is the only reason I would consider a different hotel for the next trip we plan to the DC area as I understand the Springfield Metro station parking fills up very quickly on weekdays and there is NOTHING within walking distance to this hotel. The small convenience store off the side the check-in desk offers typically overpriced fare which is your only option at lunch time without a vehicle. The ($7) plain turkey sandwich wasn't bad though, and the front desk lady who assisted us was pleasant. My daughter enjoyed the small indoor pool. The life guard in the pool was also pleasant, (apparently DC area requires Hotels to provide lifeguards which does limit the weekday availability of the pool 5-10pm) though I wish he/management would not allow guests without swim wear to swim in the pool. A group of young ladies were very loud and swimming in tee-shirts and under-wear during our visit. I do understand that they weren't in danger or endangering others but I would think a call to management would have been in order for the comfort of other guests and to retain the integrity of the pumping equipment. Being as it is a hotel pool (and people may not have packed swimwear) it should be posted and enforced that swimmers must wear SWIMWEAR in order to use the facility. Check out was a breeze and not until noon which is nice. *DO NOT depend on the wi-fi connection as it is WAY under-powered and generally non-functioning during peak usage times.

Room Tip: standard rooms do not include fridge or microwave.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Chrissy D
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your comments. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Our hotel is about 1 mile from the metro station. Even though we do not offer a shuttle, it is about a 15 minute walk or an $8 cab fare to it. During the weekday it is much busier at the metro due to being a regular working day. If you are coming during the weekend, it is less crowded and parking is free. We do have restaurants around the area that are walking distance as well as the Bistro at our premisses. I am also pleased to announce that we have recently upgraded our internet to accommodate our guest needs. We thank you for staying with us and look forward to accommodating your stay in the future.
Fort Collins, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2012

At $199/night, this was not a great value for the area. It's in a rather dead commercial area, surrounded by freeways, with a two block walk to a dying mall.

Other than that, it's clean, friendly, the rooms are comfortable, and they have Starbucks coffee in the Bistro 24/7.

• Stayed January 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Our hotel does offer different promotions and discounts as well that may be available to you, specially weekends and holidays. If you need further asssistance, do not hesitate to let us know. We look forward to accommodating you in the future.
Lowell, NC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2011

Let me preface this by saying that my family and I have stayed at dozens of Marriot brand hotels across the country and have never had an experience as bad as our experience at the Courtyard in Marriott. Marriotts are usually wonderful hotels, and we've never had a problem with them before. However, the incompetence and indignity displayed by the staff, including Shirley--who apparently replies on Courtyard's behalf--was so bad that our experience would have been comical if not so insulting.

Before checking in, we looked up rates at Marriott.com for 3 adults and a child. We found a AAA rate on the website for the Springfield Marriott that included breakfast for two adults and two children. We called the Marriott to make the reservation to ensure that a crib could be provided and to request not to be on the ground floor; we cited the AAA rate as well as the breakfast option. When my wife downstairs the next morning, we were told (by a different staff) that there was no such AAA option. After pleading with them to look on their own website, we were finally approved to get our vouchers.

When my wife, 6 month old infant, and mother went to breakfast, they were told that I had already eaten and used one of the vouchers. (The "vouchers" were two slips of paper--one that said "breakfast for two adults" and the other that said "breakfast for two children" and both of which were in their possession.) While I had gotten a cup of the complimentary coffee--which from the lobby, not the dining area, I certainly never ate. While I was not there when they went down, I understand that it took a couple minutes of haggling before they could sit down to eat.

Long story short, after leaving the hotel, we called because of a discrepancy in the hotel bill. Diane from the front counter--who first told us there was no AAA rate with vouchers, then told my mother and wife that I had eaten--first told us that the increased fees reflected the cost of the child; however, again, we had checked the rate online and ordered a crib the night before and no one ever mentioned any additional cost, so this claim was simply spurious. She then repeatedly cited this phantom "third breakfast" to defend the bill. In effect, we were being told that we lying about a $7 breakfast and therefore this Courtyard had no obligation to correct our bill.

Shirley was about as helpful. She adopted Diane's story and told us by phone that I had eaten and therefore they would not refund us the correct amount. We had spent over a $1000 at Marriott hotels over the prior 6 days, so it was comical to think that we were really engaged in having defend ourselves from hotel staff about bacon and eggs. At this point, as we explained to Shirley, it was less about the money, but our treatment by herself and Diane. Shirely stood firm. We asked for the top person available, who we were told is Chris Peters. We left a message with Diane asking have him call us; two weeks later we've heard nothing.

About thirty minutes after our last talk with Shirley, we received an unapologetic voicemail from Shirley that she had "checked with kitchen staff" and confirmed I had not eaten and would be refunding us $10. If perhaps she had checked with the staff before implying that we were liars, this whole situation could have been avoided. Instead, Shirely and Diane left a lasting, though distasteful, memory about the Courtyard in Sprinfield that is not easy to forget.

Shirley, If you, or your staff read this, I would appreciate you providing in your response the addresses to both your franchise owner and Marriott's customer relations departments.

Room Tip: Ask for any vouchers upon check-in and be sure not to get coffee from the lobby unless you are willi...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank ben h
Springfield_CY_GM, General Manager at Courtyard Springfield, responded to this review, January 20, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay with us. I apologize that your stay was not up to your standards. We value every guest's comments and feedback. Our goal is to always provide excellent service to all of our customers. I understand how frustrating it can be when there is confusion and service is not up to standards. In my prior conversation with a member of the family, other information was presented. Based on the information that was presented, we tried to find a suitable solution. I apologize if there was a misunderstanding and you felt insulted in any way. As mentioned, our goal is to always provide excellent customer service and we value your feedback.
Our hotel does offer AAA rates with 3 different rates and options. One is a discount room rate without any breakfast, another is a discount room rate with breakfast for two adults only and last a discounted rate with breakfast for two adults and two children under the age of 12. Breakfast coupons are given out when a rate is selected with breakfast and based on the option that the guest selects when booking the room. The breakfast is served in our Bistro that has a lot of different selections as well as starbucks. These vouchers also explain the options that are available to the guest. These options include: One hot entree and a drink (juice, milk, soda, water or tall starbucks drip coffee) or two items from the continental options and a drink (juice, milk, soda, water or tall stackbucks drip coffee). The kids breakfast include one hot entree from the kids menu and a kids drink (juice or milk) or two items from the continental options and a kids drink (juice or milk). When you are ready for breakfast, these vouchers are redeemed in our restaurant once you place your order with our Bistro Server. You are then given a number and the food gets delivered to your table. As a courtyard, we also do offer complimentary amenities such as cribs, refrigerators, microwaves and rolloways to all of our guest. It is based upon availability and can be requested free of charge when you make your reservation. We also offer complimentary coffee, tea and newspapers in the mornings in our coffee/tea station that is behind of GO Board. This is a great option used by many of our guests that prefer another option besides our Bistro.
Once again, I would like to apologize for any inconvinience you experienced at our property. Myself and staff members value your loyalty towards Marriotts. If there is anything else we can assist you with, do not hesitate to let us know.
Queens, NY
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2011

And that's the truth. I read the reviews on this property and figured-well it's still a Courtyard by Marriott, how bad could it be? The exterior is very deceptive. In my opinion, Marriott needs to worry about changing the interior on their hotels first because my initial reaction was-yes, it's renovated! The outside facade was redone, the lobby was redone. But, as soon as I stepped into the hallway leading to the room, I knew it was just a tease.

We were given a room on the 2nd floor. I pulled my car around to the closest door which just happened to be close to the dumpsters and the kitchen and...a rat trap. Great. As soon as we opened the door to the hallway, it reeked of smoke and mildew. I walked up the stairs to my room, the carpet was full of stains and filthy. I truly believed something was going to run across my foot. I pushed this aside, hoping when I got to the room, it would be a bit better. Not at all. The room was supposed to be a non-smoking room but it was obvious that rule hadn't been heeded to, in a long time. The burns in the carpet and the odor were just the first parts to this experience. There were a number of items left behind on the carpet, which means either housekeeping didn't see them or just flat out didn't vacuum. Now, normally when I read reviews and find that people came across items on the floor, I tend to think they're being nitpicky-who really looks under the bed? But, this time, these items were in plain sight. A rubber band, a candy wrapper and...a piece of uneaten bagel?? I left everything where it was. It was only an overnight trip but I kept my eye on it because if it disappeared at any time, during my stay, I was prepared to disappear too.

The walls and even the floor were very thin. My mom and I are not the skinniest of people but geez, we don't expect the entire room to shake when we walk! It felt like we were stomping on the ground, the mirror would rattle even when I tried to step lightly. Our view was of the roof (ironic, yes b/c we were on the 2nd floor). The window looked like it could be opened years ago but not anymore. The bathroom curtain was quite dated and the lampshade was broken (also with a cigarette burn).

As far as food and drink options, they had the market pantry in the lobby with sodas, snacks and little bites. Despite the menu provided in the room for their mini-restaurant/lounge, service didn't start until 5pm for food or drink. We went out for breakfast.

So basically we just used this hotel as a safe place to lay our heads (and even that didn't feel too safe). The room was very stuffy and despite the manual temperature controls, I still woke up with severe sinus issues. I woke up at 7am the next morning (the hour change threw me off my schedule but really it was a good thing in this situation), packed up my little bag and left-didn't even take a shower.

Now I see why this Courtyard was only $89/night as opposed to other Marriotts in the area, pricing $100/night and above. Though the location is extremely convenient (easy on/off 95, 495), right around the corner from the Springfield Mall, it's not worth it at all. Good luck if you do.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank NYCitygirl79
Springfield_CY_GM, General Manager at Courtyard Springfield, responded to this review, December 6, 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay with us. Our goal is to always provide exceptional service and I would like to apologize for not meeting yours. We take pride in our product and service and I will make sure your comments get directed to the proper department managers to make sure they get addressed immediately.