“Very impressed, wish I could give it a 5”

Courtyard Springfield
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Springfield
Reviewed August 4, 2011

My partner and I went to the National Harbor for the day and then onto Potomac Mills to do a little shopping. We stayed at the Courtyard Marriott in Springfield, Va. We were very pleased with the check-in process, the lobby was beautiful and the room (211) was spacious and had a nice layout with a sofa. The only problem we faced was at 1 o'clock in the morning the fire alarm went off. We didn't smell smoke but after looking outside and seeing other guests standing in their pajamas we decided to make the trek outside. The fire department came after a few minutes but we were still out there for about a half hour. Luckily the weather was nice and we sat in our car. I just wished someone from the hotel would have come out and explained to the guests. Eventually we all made our way back inside and nothing more was said. Other than that, I would probably stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 3, 2011

The rooms and lobby are always very neat and clean, and everything is in good, working order. The staff are friendly and quick to wait on you when needed.

The hotel is also very accessible to the major highways, so it's a good base to set up for visiting the DC area.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 1, 2011

This Marriott looks really kewl. It has some very nice features, but unfortunately, it does not make up for the staff, which ruins your impression of the lovely looking hotel...and leaves you with a lasting bad taste in your mouth...

Pros:

The lobby is awesome...."state of the art" is an understatement...

The rooms are a decent size

Cleanliness was not an issue

Flat screen TV

Cons:

When I walked in, the front desk staff was arguing with this poor guy, and when I requested assistance with checking in, I could see how arguments are probably a daily occurence with them....I don't like to call people rude, but I will say the manager and front desk staff were not friendly, and if you asked them anything about the room, they had a look on their face like "please leave", and it was generally followed with a comment to suit.

No fridge or microwave in the rooms

There is a very strong cleaning smell that I noticed in the rooms, and when I asked, they said all the rooms are like that, and that the cleaning staff spray it, but it was very overpowering and if someone has asthma or allergies, I would probably not recommend getting a room here...I got a little sick myself from it.

No fridge or microwave in the rooms

The outlets are not conveniently placed, so your cell phone needs to charge in one location and your laptop across the room...

The bathrooms are super small in comparison to the other hotels in the area

Besides the staff and the strong smell, the cons are not major, but a hotel front desk staff is very important, and sometimes I don't think we realize this until we have to deal with a staff that is as not nice as this Marriott's staff was...

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 11, 2011

Convenient to the interstate. Typical Marriott Courtyard. Recently the lobby was re-modeled. Bottom line, the hotel and rooms are nice, the staff is very friendly, and the breakfast items are good. It's one of two Marriott properties I stay in when visiting Springfield, which I do several times a year. The gym is small, but nice and has enough equipment for a good cardio workout.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed July 10, 2011

I usually try stay at one of the many hotels on the beltway in DC where you get a break from downtown rates but can catch a hotel shuttle bus to the Metro. Most often I’ve stayed in Alexandria South where the Hampton Inn or Springhill Suites offer nice hotels and proximity to the Metro Huntington Station. For some reason this Courtyard came up as a good bargain on the Marriott website so I booked it. I found it to be very modern, recently updated and if this is Marriott’s “re-imagined” idea of a CY I’ll be sure to try to stay at their Fairfield or Springhill nameplates. The folks were friendly here but these were my disappointments: Although less than a mile from the Springfield/Franconia Metro station they offered no shuttle, and in fact announced proudly “The 3 Marriott’s at this exit (The Residence Inn, The Town Place Suites and this CY don’t offer a shuttle!”. I said, well the Hampton Inn and even the Best Western do, along with the vast majority of the many dozens of hotels around the DC Beltway. Secondly, no 24 Hr lobby coffee, (early morning only), and thirdly as to bath amenities, kills me that this CY had only shampoo and conditioner. Every Hampton Inn gives you a lotion, as do many other brands. Why does Marriott think a conditioner (which most men don’t use) is important, but lotion isn’t? Finally, in spite of being remodeled this is an older CY, small sink area with little counter to set stuff on.
On the plus side did have good selection of HD channels to go with the big HD TV’s and a micro fridge was in the room. High speed was OK and the desk chair raised up almost high enough which I find the majority of hotel office/desk chairs don’t. AC was the old style control at the through wall unit but it seemed clean of mold and mildew and was quiet.

Room Tip: Request top floor if you want quiet, thin floors
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed June 26, 2011

The convenience of getting around is great there's access to all freeways within a block, descent restaurants and shops close by.

The breakfast is great, along with the front desk personnel, rooms are nice i had one with a balcony, definitely recommend it, especially if your a smoker, internet was fine, cable was good, they have HD channels,

My only complaint is, at times have to let my water run for about 5-10 minutes to get it hot enough to take a shower,

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed March 23, 2011

Stayed at this Courtyard number of times. Food was good, recent trip food declined sharply. We will not eat there again. We are going to seek other options.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple