“Loved our stay, short as it was!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Residence Inn Springfield Old Keene Mill

Residence Inn Springfield Old Keene Mill
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Springfield
Bahrain
“Loved our stay, short as it was!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2012

My 14 year old daughter and I stayed here overnight to break up the drive home after a long soccer tournament in Frederick, MD. I wanted a hotel that was clean, contemporary, conveniently located and had a great staff. I got all of that with this Residence Inn. It's location near 395/495 made it easy for us to get into DC for a quick visit, and then on the road to get home. It is a bit of a confusing drive in the Old Keene Mill, Backlick area, so I looked at it all on a map before relying on my GPS to get me there.

I love that the parking and internet are free. Internet was fast. It makes visits so much easier on the wallet, and gives my daughter the opportunity to get her online homework done without breaking the bank every time we travel.

I didn't have any problems with noise, even though we were on the outer side of the hotel. We did have a 6th floor room, maybe that helped. We had a studio suite with a King sized bed for me and a pull out sofa bed for my daughter. My night's sleep was much better than hers- the sofa bed mattress was not the best, even though the furniture is newer. But she's young and recovered quickly! The room was a little cramped for the two of us,our luggage, her back pack and guitar. Had we stayed there more than one night we would have stored stuff in the large closet. The bathroom was great, but only came with soap, no shampoo or lotion. I can't remember if this is a particular trait of Res. Inn's, or just a slip up on part of the staff. No big deal, we had our own anyway.

We were fine with the hotel breakfast, the waffle station is always a hit with her, and there were enough cold and hot choices to fill my belly. The coffee was great, and the staff wonderful. They kept clearing away our used plates for us and were quick to wipe down the table after we left. A neat thing I noticed- out in the lobby area there are round nooks with t.v.s and tables with bench seating. The morning we were there they were occupied by some small kids eating breakfast and no doubt watching some morning cartoons, still in their jammies. Perfect spot for them and they were quiet and content.

I didn't check out the pool,exercise room or guest laundry room. We were there less than 14 hours as we checked out right after breakfast to head into DC. I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Higher floors always seem to offer a quieter night's sleep. I liked being far away from the ele...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
fayetteville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

We have stayed at this residence inn before last year. The staff is great, and they are more friendly than any I have encountered. The gym is kept up well (there are even headphones available). The pool is clean. The price is good on weekends (100), but watch out if you need to stay during the week because it skyrockets. The access to the interstate is tricky, but fast. The location is near a trader joes and a supermarket. DC is a 20 minute drive on a weekend. Housekeeping even lined up my kid's stuffed animals on the bed when they made it.

• Stayed October 2012
Richmond, VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

Parents were moving from their Springfield home after 47 years and we needed to find a place to stay during the move/transition. We never needed a hotel in our hometown before so we never really paid any attention - until now. Did the review of hotel on Trip Advisor, read the reviews and made comparisons. I chose the Residence Inn (RI) and I will try to always stay at an RI in the future. The staff at the Front Desk and morning breakfast crew were friendly, helpful and professional. The rooms were clean and comfortable. The two room suite with the kitchen was great. The bed was one of the best I've slept on in years. It made a big difference when i had to get up the next morning and move lots of boxes. If I was going to be sight-seeing in DC, I'd park my car in the parking deck (free) and take the shuttle to the Metro and avoid the traffic and parking challenges. If I ever need to visit the old hometown again, I'll be staying at this Residence Inn.

Room Tip: If you have mobility concerns, make sure you ask for a room closer to the elevator lobby at the cent...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank AnniversaryMan
Stevens Point, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

For any long-term stay, I think you'll find this hotel both convenient to the DC/Northern VA area, and very suitable for your lodging needs. The beds are comfortable, the kitchenettes nicely furnished (stove, fridge, microwave, sink, dishwasher, plates, pots/pans, utensils), and the room nicely appointed with desk, dressers, and couches.

Overall the hotel is very clean, and the staff were all very friendly and accommodating during my stay. They offer a full complimentary breakfast with hot items to cold cereal and fruits/yogurts each morning. On Monday-Wednesday nights they offer a managers dinner which provides guests a complimentary meal of soup, salad, a main dish (ie: hamburgers, spaghetti, meat & potatoes, etc), desserts, and beverages.

If you need to go out to eat, nearby is a Giant supermarket, as well as fast food (Chipotle, KFC, Subway, Noodles & Co., etc.), ethnic restaurants, and sports bars.

The hotel is just off the I-95/495 beltway. It is about a mile or two from the Franconia/Springfield Metro Rail line station. This station is handy to ride the Metro rail to points around the metro DC area, with this station being at the end of the blue line. Parking at the Metro station runs about $4.75/day. There isn't a shuttle to the metro station, and its a little far to walk, as you'd have to cross some major highways.

This is one of the nicest Residence Inn's I've been to, and would definitely be a top choice if I had business in the area in the future!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Washington, D.C.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2012

My family (two adults and two teenagers) stayed here for a few weeks during our move back to Washington while our household goods were in transit. We were all in agreement that this was the best choice among hotels within a 5-mile radius of Springfield for our long-term stay given the large size of the room (2 bedroom suite with full kitchen and pull out queen size sofa bed), relative newness, tasteful decoration, good management and helpfulness of the staff, and convenience to the Washington Beltway as well as local shopping and restaurants. We were not disappointed, and should we require a multi-week stay in the future, would not hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: Given the hotel's being located immediately next to Old Keene Mill Rd and another elevated road...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank American_Bureaucrat
Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2012

I'm not always a fan of Marriotts, but there are good hotels in the chain. Anyone visiting Springfield has to be doing it for business - what else would you do here? There certainly are better locations than this for sight seeing. But the Residence Inn is one of three Marriott Hotels in less than a mile off the Beltway in Springfield. I stopped here because a colleague recommended it, and was not disappointed.
Without asking, the room I had reserved was upgraded and so I wound up in a suite, two bedrooms, kitchen, etc. all at the same rate as a normal room. The furnishings and carpets throughout the hotel are bright and cheerful and even if I could not figure out how to set the A/C to just the right temperature, my stay here was no less pleasant.
From the free parking at the enclosed parking garage, to the friendly check-in at the desk, everything worked great. Ok, you have to log in every on the free internet, - but it is free and it works well.
I checked out the pool and it wasn't really of use for a full size person, other than maybe a parent playing with their child, but it was clean and well maintained. Lacking a "real" pool, I stuck with the exercise equipment and did my time on the elliptic trainer and with the small selection of free weights. Added bonus points here - free head seat were provided to listen to news while working out. That's a winner since I always forget mine.
The closets still use those cheap plastic and wire organizers, but with the rest of the room being of very nice quality, I'll forgive it on this trip. The bathroom(s) were nicely sized and clean - no spots or issues anywhere. Even the water left behind on the soap tray was dried off every day.
The breakfast isn't quite what it should be. Though they offer the standard fare - eggs, bacon or sausage, hash browns, etc, whatever is cooked, is mostly overcooked. The eggs were reasonable, but a little rubbery and if you show up a little later you wind up with Styrofoam plates and plastic utensils. That's cheap and nor really "green". If there was an issue with this hotel, this was my sticking point as a guy who loves a good breakfast in a hotel.
Still, all the amenities, the friendly service and the overall quality of the hotel make it a good solid stay and a place to recommend in good conscience.

Room Tip: All the rooms have windows you can't open and regardless of the traffic outside, you won't h...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Binghamton, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

Stayed in early August 2012. Front desk staff enthusiastic and helpful. Room was spotless and well-outfitted. Only missing some sheets for the pull-out bed. Phoned desk, and they were delivered within 5 minutes. Beds very comfortable, and all furnishings were top-quality.
Breakfast was very nice - even though the immediate dining area was small-ish, folks were able to eat at other tables in lobby. No one lacked for a place to sit.
Only drawback is the maze of roads around the hotel. Makes it difficult to actually get to it. But once there, it's a real delight. We were able to walk to a local restaurant for a late dinner. Good recommendations by staff, and terrific pre-printed directions to restaurants in the area.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family