“Overnight hotel from NY to NC”

Residence Inn Springfield Old Keene Mill
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Springfield
Reviewed February 18, 2012

Hotel room is a great value! Room is spacious and decor is modern and clean. Ideal for several nights with kitchenette and lounging area.

Check in was super friendly- a nice welcome for a tuckered out traveler.

Con: my room is sooooooo noisy. I hear a constant whoosh from trucks/traffic. Bring ear plugs or a white noise machine. If You are a sensitive sleeper I highly suggest requesting a room on the opposite side from freeway.

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank teachersms

Reviewed February 14, 2012

Background - I travel a lot for business and work for a company that prides itself on enacting "Environmentally Conscious" to worker travel. This is the main reason why we are "recommended" to book Marriott hotels. I stayed at the Marriott for 1.5 weeks.
The Good
Room - Both the suite and the studio are excellent. Very quiet although the location is in the nexus of two major interstates.
Food - Awesome customer service for breakfast and the Evening reception. The restaurant staff was extra friendly and the food choices were great.
Location - Starbucks and Trader Joe's less than a mile away. Not to mention easy access to the interstate and shopping
Fitness Room - Newer equipment, AC, and space.

The Bad
Front Desk - Less than Impressive service. When checking into my room both weeks, I felt like they were doing me a favor by giving me a room. Called to get an extra blanket, it never came.
Housekeeping - I'm a clean person and I follow instructions well. I can reuse a towel. The little “eco-friendly” table template left in the bathroom basically says “leave towels on the floor and you get new ones”. I hung up my towel, returned to my room that evening, and was greeted with new towels. Next day. Spoke to the not so nice person at the front desk... note on my room account (hmm. not happy that I have to tell Marriott to enforce their own rules).
When I came back the next week, I hung my towel, came back that evening.... New towels. When I called the front desk (still unimpressive service.. and I'm a Platinum), I discovered that there was still a "flag" on my account. The front desk person mentioned Housekeeping would follow-up... BUT based on my experiences to date they still haven't gotten the Eco-friendly message.....

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Angela W
Reviewed February 5, 2012

You know the staff has its priorities right when you lose $2.00 in the newspaper machine and they immediately refund your money. The staff at this hotel has got it right -- they are informative, professional, and unlike many hotel staffs, look like they are enjoying their work, both with each other and when they provide items for guests. In addition the rooms are large with large refrigerators -- it is the perfect hotel for a long stay. I also need to mention how spotless everything was at the hotel -- this place defines clean. When I compare hotels, this is now the mark of excellence that I will compare other (even 5 star) hotels to.

Room Tip: the only challenge to this hotel is the street noise -- you are right on the road -- try to get a ro...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed February 1, 2012

We stayed here while visiting family who live in Alexandria. The room was excellent! We reserved the two bedroom suite. Couldn't ask for anything better. Didn't even realize our kids with with us (lol). Very Clean and comfortable. There is a Talbotts outlet across the street, I suggest a visit. There is also a trader joes and giant grocery store too if you want to pick up somethng for your kitchen. My daughter and I used the hot tub one morning it was relaxing. Internet service was fine, if you have any trouble at first just ask the front desk. One thing that could have been better was there was no monitoring of the parking garage, anyone could really use it and the doors from the parking garage to the hotel closed slowly which means anyone could sneek through if they wanted too. I wouldn't question someone walking in a few seconds behind me would you? Especially if they looked like they were traveling. Just something to be aware of as always when traveling. Breakfast was excellent. A little more crowded on Sunday than Saturday.I will definitely be staying here again.

Room Tip: If you are traveling with children or another couple I suggest the two bedroom suite, it is spacious...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 17, 2012

I watched this hotel being built when I lived in Burke, VA (Burke and Springfield are intertwined). When I had to come off of leave and drive for a business trip to the NCR instead of fly, I decided I would stay here instead of my usual hotel in Pentagon City so that I could visit with friends in the area each evening. This is the 4th Residence Inn I've stayed in in the NCR over the past 3 years and even though it is one of the newer ones, it is not anywhere like the others. A large portion of the rooms face I-395 and the Mixing Bowl that funnels traffic from I-395 and I-495 as well as Old Keene Mill Road. I specifically asked for a quiet room, but was told that the hotel was full and I had to take what was available. I am handicapped and asked about handicap parking (there is a parking garage, but quite a few handicap spaces were outside the garage). The person at the desk told me that there were only 2 spaces actually in the garage. I took one, but had to go out for the evening. When I returned, I had to park outside. It turned icy and cold overnight so I had to walk on an untreated surface to clean off my car. That was after I'd called the front desk and told them that my room was unacceptable - the road noise and sounds of dumpster pick ups and deliveries at the adjacent businesses was maddening and coupled with an HVAC system that screamed every time it cut on, I got about 2 hours sleep before a big meeting. Ear plugs didn't cut the noise and I frequently use those to cut noise when I travel. Also the room smelled like a wet dog. The graceously moved me to another room on the courtyard side of the building and the person who moved me commented about how bad the room smelled. Management graciously took the first night's stay off of my bill and that was very nice. The rooms are the smallest rooms I've seen in a Residence Inn and the furnishings are crammed into the rooms. I was moved to a 1 BR suite and the remote for the TV in the LR also turned on and off the TV in the BR because they were so close. The breakfast/dinner area is incredibly small and cramped and the food selection was nothing spectacular. With the exception of Friday night, every evening I had to park outside the garage as a handicapped individual while able body people got the luxury of parking in a covered garage. Having to park outside also puts you further away from the elevators than others. I am a huge fan of Marriott and have stayed in quite a few Residence Inns around the country; however, this will not be one that I will revisit because there are better options in Residence Inns not too far from this location. This was also the first Marriott Property that I've stayed in in 9 years that did not recognize me by name when I checked in or called the front desk as a Marriott Rewards customer.

Room Tip: Insist on a room facing the courtyard (parking handicap parking/parking garage).
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank RocketCityStarbuck
Reviewed January 13, 2012

This Residence Inn is fairly new, and we had a great two-bedroom suite at the end of a hallway. The hotel was exceptionally quiet which is becoming a very rare thing given the lack of consideration for soundproofing in many new hotels. The free parking was also much appreciated, and the garage was well lit and big enough for larger vehicles. The hotel is in the new Residence Inn style which is one of our favorite new hotel designs. The suite was clean, spacious and perfect for our family of four. We had no issues with our room during our five day stay, and the hotel staff were friendly and helpful with any questions. The breakfast and dinner receptions were average -- not the worst hotel food but we preferred to try other restaurants in the area. We highly recommend El Paso Mexican. The neighborhood around the hotel is not at all charming, but we did not feel unsafe. It is just very close to major roads, and the surroundings reflect that. Other than the usual outrageous work week rates common to DC area hotels, this hotel is a great choice. It is also just over a mile from the Franconia Springfield Metro station.

Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank tarheel08
Reviewed December 28, 2011

We were at the hotel during Christmas holidays. The hotel was clean, comfortable and the staff was very pleasant. We had previously stayed at a Residence Inn south of this one, and it was not as nice. There was a large variety of breakfast foods. The pool was open and even had a lifeguard. Our only problem was the hotel was hard to get to from I-95.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family