“The perfect stopover--and pet friendly too!”
Review of Comfort Inn

Comfort Inn
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Springfield
Reviewed February 20, 2012

All we really needed was a comfortable and clean hotel, pet friendly, and reasonably priced, for a one night stopover. What we got was a room which we could have enjoyed for a week. It included a VERY comfortable king-sized bed with an excellent mattress and pillows, a couch, desk, microwave, refrigerator, lots of hot water, lots of storage space, and no extra charge for our dog (under 50 pounds, which worked for us.) We checked in late but the night clerk was very friendly. The hotel was quiet, we didn't hear anything from any other rooms or outside. Breakfast in the morning included a large variety of cereals, yogurts, juices, hot beverages, and pastries, as well as nondescript scrambled eggs and sausage. The latter two items were the only part of the stay which didn't impress us. The cost for the night, including breakfast, was under $90. Fantastic value for the money. We will be stopping here on all our future trips up and down the I-95 corridor.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Comfort Inn

Reviewed December 16, 2011

This hotel is conveniently located about a mile from the metro line. The Comfort Inn has a shuttle to and from the metro. The rooms are large with a microwave, coffee maker, and small refrigerator. The staff is friendly. The hotel also has a complimentary breakfast every day and a manager's reception Mon-Thur. The rate is good for the D.C. area. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed December 7, 2011

I stayed here as part of a business trip. The location of this hotel is fairly close to the airport and even the metro, but it is not within reasonable walking distance of public transportation, so a car is recommended (especially if you want to eat at the restaurants nearby). It is close to the highway with access to the airport.

For some reason I was put in the handicap accessible room--I'm not really sure why but this seems to happen to me a lot. Unfortunately it's not a great room, as it is right next to the ice machine and you can hear the elevator or some machine room running through the night. Sink counterspace was smaller because of the handicap accessible toilet, but it still had a bathtub. I think the bathroom is larger than normal by making the rest of the room smaller. Also, there are no hooks on the bathroom doors. Because of the noise, it was an uncomfortable night of sleep--the walls are really thin so you can hear a lot of noise from the other folks, and it is a pet friendly hotel so sometimes you hear dogs barking. In addition, the rooms come with a fridge and microwave (a nice benefit of Comfort Inns) but the fridge made a lot of cracking sounds in addition to regular fridge noises.

The decor is OK, with the rooms on the dark side, and an old-school TV. If you are on the first floor the people parking in the parking lot have a great view of your room, so it is not conducive to leaving the blinds open for more light. The room was very clean, but there was definitely a smell of oil in the room (maybe from the heater).

There is free Wifi and access to computers with a printer. However, the free Wifi was really saturated in the evening hours, making it impossible to connect. I waited until early morning the next day to be able to use it.

There is no gym or exercise room, but you can go to a nearby hotel to use theirs.
Also, there is a free breakfast (always a huge plus) with hot and cold items, and the selection was good. There is also free coffee in the lobby and they even had a reception in the evening with hors d'oeuvres (but I did not attend that).

The service was really excellent, and I found it to be very friendly and warm. I had to correct a charge--the use of the room safe is included in the charge automatically, so you have to ask to remove it! For this Comfort Inn the charge was much less than others but they didn't ask at the front desk when I checked out.

Overall, it was fine for a short stay, though not the most comfortable. Mostly, it is reasonable in price, especially compared to the other hotels that are in the same location.

Room Tip: Avoid the handicap accessible room!
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed November 18, 2011

For the price it's a decent deal I guess. My main thing about a hotel is the bed and pillows, which was the main gripe for me. The pillows were lumpy (the whole assortment of them they leave on the bed) and the bed not that comfortable. I've had worse, but only a couple times ever. The rooms are dated and TVs are small CRT style. That's the bad. The good is that it is very clean property in all and the staff was very helpful in all of my requests.
The free breakfast was low quality of hot items, but rest was all fine plus was well stocked and not crowded so rather nice in all. I commuted by metro and thought I could walk based on google map distance, but reality is with the roads in the way and weather being what it was I had to take a cab there then found out they have a shuttle service after getting there, which was fairly timely in getting me to the station. I continued to use cab to get back to hotel so I didn't have to wait or call anyone. The mall next to the hotel isn't nearly what I thought it'd be; it's definitely not crowded but that's because a large portion of it is supposedly being redone and other store seletion is limited there as well but not terrible. I had to get some dress shoes so went to Macy's and the selection there was about half of what it is at Pentagon City Mall. That goes for rest of mall in general. The food selection near the motel is almost nonexistent. There is a Houlihan's next to it in the Hilton but prices are high and food is so-so. The Silver Diner on other side of mall parking lot a short walk away isn't great either. The Five Guys, Moes, and other that I noticed on Google maps isn't accessible by foot because it's on other side of the freeway. If you stay here, do it if it's the most affordable thing you can find (and that is what matters most to you) and make sure to eat before coming back to hotel area. If you're used to Hampton Inn, Doubletree, other Hilton brands, or Mariott line, you'll be disappointed. If you're used to Days Inn or Red Roof you'll think this is better. Your satisfaction will depend on expectations. The staff and cleanliness are why I rated this a 3. If it weren't for that I would've done a 2 based on the quality of sleep I got.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed November 2, 2011

Decided on this motel based on proximity to DCA, Tripadvisor ratings and a preference for this motel group. We were not disappointed. Standard rooms with the usual features, very clean, quiet and comfortable. Big city, business style, with ATM on site, fast elevators, shiny tile. Usual breakfast offerings, etc.
Loved everything about the stay, especially the reasonable price. Caveat: there is always traffic, and the place is a bit difficult to find. We had to call the front desk from a shopping center. The clerk patiently explained the directions. Tricky location.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 13, 2011

This newly renovated, spotlessly clean property was a wonderful home-base for a 5 day visit to Washington DC. The amenities, staff, especially Kahn at the front desk, were all top notch. An expanded free continental breakfast included choice of juice, pastries, eggs, breakfast meat etc and was so much more than we expected and a wonderful way to start our busy days. The free shuttle to the Metro station arrived in less than 5 minutes each time we used it, and enabled us to park the car and forget it. The lobby computers and free printer meant that my laptop could remain packed although wifi was available. This Comfort Inn gave us 1st class accommodations and service for a budget-minded traveler. This will be our home away from home on our next visit to DC.

Room Tip: Ask if there are groups of students staying, and request to be as far away from them as possible, ei...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sharon B
Reviewed October 7, 2011

My husband and I were looking for a more reasonable hotel in the DC area and after careful consideration and reading customers reviews, we chose this one. We were very impressed at the hotel decor, clean and modern rooms, very friendly hotel staff and more. The location of the hotel was very near a large shopping center and the metro (which the hotel offered free shuttle service).

We had a three night stay and were delighted that our trip to Washington DC for the monuments was offered at this hotel by DC Tours. This was perfect because the tour company picked us up at the hotel and we did not have to take the metro into to DC to get on a tour there. The tour was fabulous and reasonably priced. We later found out that the Comfort Inn on Van Dorne Street also had this tour service available to to them.

This hotel offered hot breakfast in the morning and if you stay between Monday and Thursday, they have a wonderful little manager's party at 5:30 pm lasting one hour.

There are not many hotels that offer door to door service into DC for a tour. This was extra special and saved us a lot of time and aggravation trying to find our way around a huge city.

I highly recommend this hotel. Everything was great.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple