“Great value when visiting DC”
Review of Comfort Inn

Comfort Inn
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Springfield
Reviewed July 26, 2011

Overall we had a good experience with our stay. We very much appreciated the hot breakfast every morning. I recommend the waffles. It was well stocked and constantly refreshed. Coffee, tea, hot chocolate available all day. The on-demand shuttle to and from the Metro stop was a big plus for us, as well as the daily paper. Also, plenty of free parking around the hotel and complementary internet access. We only attended the daily manager's function once and it was very nice as well. All staff were very friendly and helpful during our stay. There is also a Budget car rental office on the premises. Although the arm of the deskchair was broken, A/C was a bit noisy, and the room safe was not working - none of these were big problems for us. All of these could have been easily fixed but we did not feel it necessary to report them. But when we were charged for using the safe, I did report the safe broken and the front desk removed this charge, which was satisfactory to me. Be aware that Comfort Inn guest use the pool next door at the Hampton Inn.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed July 16, 2011

When I first got to my hotel, I noticed the surrounding area. The local is horrible with the amount of crime in the area and the mall across from the hotel is run down and the police was there at least once a day for the week that I stayed there. The hotel itself was pretty run down and did not look anything like the pictures advertised. First off the continental breakfast had prison grade food being served and the milk I poured into my cereal the first morning turned out to be spoiled. They tried to make up for a lack of a gym by utilizing the gym in another hotel which was run down and most of their equipment was broken. Their little business center failed in all aspects with no fax or working printer that they advertised. Their elevators were missing parts of their buttons and their washers and dryers looked unserviceable. The glass ceiling in the lobby had bird feces and mold on it and the towels smelt very odd. Inside the room it was a little better; but the shower curtain never kept the water in the shower and the refrigerator door never closed correctly. Last but not least, their wireless internet kept failing and I constantly had to use their lan that was frayed.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed July 2, 2011

This is my second stay at this hotel and I would be happy to return. It is not a luxury
hotel, but it is adequate to serve your needs, along with great extras such as
free shuttle to the nearby Washington Metro station and the Springfield Mall.
The room was quiet, beds were good, a comfortable chair with foot rest, refrigerator,
and safe. All the service people were very friendly and people at the front desk were
very helpful. I also used the free internet. The breakfast was fine with the usual good
waffles.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 13, 2011

I was leading a group of 17 Girl Scouts and parents for a weekend trip to DC. When we arrived, we found that the Holiday Inn-Springfield had messed up our reservations for 5 rooms with 2 double beds each and only had king rooms. See my review of that hotel for comments on their lack customer service skills, but they did refer us to this Comfort Inn. Here the front desk man was VERY nice, there was plenty of availability, they had an earlier breakfast (which meant we could actually EAT breakfast before our White House tour), and the room rate was cheaper! The rooms were not fancy, but just fine - about what you would expect from a Comfort Inn. Water pressure was good, but the towels were a bit thin (my only complaint). The lobby was nice, and the two computers in the lobby with free printing helped us a lot to get Mapquest directions. The breakfast was basic, good variety continental with a waffle maker. We had cars, so the lack of nearby dinner places wasn't a problem, and the Metro was about a half-mile away. We parked at the Metro for free on the weekend, but the hotel also had a shuttle. I would definitely stay here again. Hope this isn't too long, but at least there is some specifics that hopefully people will find helpful.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 1, 2011

Worst, who has time to write a book to review hotel. Sad that we can't trust the staff to not write review. Only able to stay one night. Tip if review is over half page don't trust it.

• Stayed: February 2011
Reviewed November 27, 2010

All employees (front desk, breakfast attendants, maintenance and housekeeping) were friendly and helpful throughout our stay. Located in a well-lit, safe area -- it was easy to find the hotel, and shops / restaurants were close by. Plenty of free parking around the hotel. Lobby was bright and clean, nice breakfast area. Hallways could use a little updating, but they were clean and well-lit.
Our room was immaculately clean at arrival and upon return 2nd day (and no sign of bedbugs!) Nice room furnishings - included microwave, frig, work desk with lamp, credenza and TV stand / dresser unit. The LayZBoy style lounge chair was a nice addition, although it looked a little worn.
The furnishings were all fine -- a couple of pieces showed minor wear, but everything was fully functioning. The bathroom was small, but it was clean, everything in working order, and no issues with hot/cold water, etc. The A/C unit worked great - cooled the room down fast and very quiet. Our room location - 2nd floor end of hallway - was QUIET. We heard NO noise from outside our window or other rooms.
The room felt just a bit cramped with 2 beds and all the furniture, but that was no big deal. Overall, the room was bright and cozy. And the FREE wireless service worked like a charm.
Breakfast was great -- lots of healthy food options (juice, yogurt, oatmeal, cereals). The buffet included a "make your own" waffle machine, but no biscuits & gravy types of food, and that was fine with us.
The hotel offered a FREE Manager's reception each weekday beginning around 5pm. VERY NICE perk -- a small buffet of hot finger-foods, chicken salad w/ crackers, etc. (Different items each night.)
We took full advantage of the hotel's FREE Shuttle Service to and from the Franconia -Springfield METRO Station. WONDERFUL SERVICE! All we had to do was stop at the desk (or call the hotel from the METRO Station) to request shuttle service. We only had to wait 5 or 10 minutes each time. And they provided shuttle from early morning until 10pm each night. (The Franco-Springfield METRO Station is the last station on the BLUE line, so it will take you about 40 minutes to reach the SMITHSONIAN Metro Station. But the BLUE line takes you all the way in, so you won't need to change trains.)
I've given this hotel a 5 point (Excellent) rating. It IS NOT the Ritz-Carlton, so if you are expecting fresh rose-petals on your pillow, this hotel isn't for you. Its an older hotel, so you'll notice slight "wear and tear" mainly in the public areas. But if you are looking for a CLEAN HOTEL / CLEAN ROOM, in a SAFE area just outside DC, with EASY access to the METRO, and at a very reasonable rate in light of its proximity to DC, then this is definitely the hotel for you. I would definitely stay there again, and I would recommend it to friends and family.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank chaswv
Reviewed November 3, 2010

My wife and I stayed two nights, Fri. and Sat., in late Oct. 2010, on our trip from N.C. to the Comedy Central Rally on the Mall on Oct. 30. The Comfort Inn is an older hotel, somewhat worn, but it was very clean, everything worked and the staff was pleasant. The "help-yourself" breakfast was o.k., just food to keep you going. Although right next to the freeway, I heard no traffic. However, my wife said she did. A complimentary shuttle van is available to take you to (and from) the nearby Metro stop (Franconia-Springfield) which is at the end of the line (though I'm not sure when the shuttle van shuts down at night). It is possible, but not really practical, to walk to the Metro stop from the Inn. Also, if you're driving yourself, there is a reasonably priced parking deck at the Metro stop. Best of all the rate was $81.60 ($80.10 stated plus $1.50 charge for in-room safe) per night plus taxes of $7.29 per night. We thought this to be an excellent value for the DC area.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple