“Okay stay for a Average Hampton Inn”

Wingate by Wyndham Springfield
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Springfield
Charlottesville, Virginia
“Okay stay for a Average Hampton Inn”
Reviewed March 19, 2009

Being a Diamond Member with Hilton I usually recieve a welcome or amenity when i come to the hotel.

Arriving at the front desk, i wasn't welcomed as a member, just what credit card do you want to use and that was it.

I ask for a High Floor (The Hotel has 7 floors) and i was put on the 2nd floor.

The breakfast in the morning is real average and not that big of an area.

They do have a shuttle with the Comfort Inn (next door) to get to the Metro Station, but be sure to call in advance. (We called in advance and still weren't able to get the shuttle, which left without us)

Anyhow, the hotel is in a good location next to a soon to be renovated Springfield Mall (the mall is in dire straits right now, lots of stores have left and half the food court stores have left in antipication of a renovation etc.

Easiest way to DC is to take the Metro rather than drive downtown in traffic.

Takes about 25-30 mins to get downtown on a normal day, longer during rush hour.

Get a day pass with unlimited use for $7.80 a day.

Don't know If I'd stay again, next door is a bigger Hilton Hotel.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed February 12, 2009

This Hampton Inn is the worst I have seen for overall appearance.I was very shocked with this hotel as I always trust Hampton and our company has a national account with Hamptons.I had to have my room recleaned and sheets changed I found hair all over my bedding and sheets.The front desk staff has been very rude for the entire 2 weeks I have been here.The carpet has dirty stains and white stains all over it.The bathrom is very bad.The toilet seat is broke.I have a smoking room but every time they clean my room they take the ashtrays so I am left without an ashtray in my smoking room.We had another worker join us and they did not want to give him a room.Remember our co has a huge nationwide account with Hamptons.Needless to say top management has vowed never to use this Hampton again and we will ALL be checking out to find other rooms elsewhere.I have never seen such a dirty hotel.Who ever is over this Hampton needs to visit as a guest and see exactly what their staff is doing and how they are treating their guest.Do not waste your money trusting the name of this hotel!!!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank mypottery
Roanoke, Virginia
Reviewed November 19, 2008

The reason I love Hampton Inn hotels... because you always know what you are going to get. This one is no exception.

Nice location, great price (at least the nights I stayed). Television is cruddy, but they have a ton of channels.

Internet connection is a reasonable speed, and free, like all Hampton Inns.

I would recommend staying here any time.

Stayed November 2008
Southern England
Reviewed October 21, 2008

Only the second Hampton Inn I've stayed in. Spent four nights here. Very clean, very pleasant staff, and free shuttle (plus tip) to the Metro station, made getting into Washington, a breeze. As a total stranger to the area, the Metro was a lovely way to enter the city each day.

Nice big retail park within walking distance. Although you do have to cross a very busy road (with pedestrian crossing lights).

Previous posts seem to have covered all the points and I totally agree. An excellent stay.

• Liked — Space and cleanliness
  • Disliked — Not much
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
North Carolina
Reviewed September 22, 2008

The wife and I are fans of Hampton Inns and decided to stay here for 4 nights while visiting DC. We chose to stay here for several reasons. As many of you know, hotels in DC can be very pricey. We spent an average of $100 a night including all the taxes. It was close to a metro stop, Springfield-Franconia on the Blue Line. The shuttle to the metro was quick, except one night it took almost 30 minutes to pick us up. The room was clean and had all the things we needed.

The hotel was under going some updating, ie; new carpet was being installed and some painting. The pool was closed as the tarp was already in place for the winter months. It was very hot and humid while in DC and a swim would have been nice. The food was typical for Hampton Inn. A variety of hot and cold items which met our needs for a day of sightseeing.

This Hampton Inn must had been another hotel in a previous life as the appearance and layout where different from previous visits to other Hamptons.

Overall, this was a good experience. Hamptons are known for good, clean rooms in safe locations and reasonable prices. If you want to sightsee in DC and like riding the metro, which I reccommend, and need a good place to stay without draining your wallet, this is the place.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Claymont, Delaware
Reviewed September 20, 2008

I enjoy staying at Hampton Inns. On the whole, they are predictable, stable and comfortable. This one fit the bill. My room was large, a king with a couch, small fridge, microwave. I found the bathroom to be just fine. And very clean. The bed was extrememly comfortable, and the pillows plentiful and comfy. Breakfast was fine..lots of different things from which to choose, as usual at Hamptons.

The lobby area suffered from being rather worn looking and uninviting. Especially around the elevators. Maybe some renovation was about to occur? But I am being pretty picky here. And one elevator was out almost the whole time I was there which made for rather long waits.

My biggest complaint, which might even cause me to not stay there again was the NOISY air conditioner. I had a room on the highway side of the building and was assured I would not hear the highway. Righto!! Because the AC was SO loud I could hardly hear myself think!! The second night I suffered through a warmer room, but had it turned off.

I would think hotels would want to provide about 2 basic things. A comfortable bed in a quiet room. This hotel did the job 50%.

• Liked — Location, large room.
  • Disliked — The very very noisy air conditioner!
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed September 16, 2008

I have stayed several times at this Hampton Inn and would mostly agree with the reviews. Let me list some of the Pros and Cons

Pros:

Cable TV
Free Highspeed Internet - both wireless and hardwired Ethernet -your choice
Contrary to June 12 review - it does have a swimming pool. (Granted, about three good breaststokes will take you the length of the pool, but it does have oe Memorial Day thru Labor Day)
Good Breakfast included with both cold and hot entrees
Free Shuttle to Metro (but more or less mandatory $1 -2 tip is more expensive than the local Fairfax connector stop across the street)
Walking distance from several restaurants
Walking distance from Springfield Mall
Walking distance of metro bus stop
In room minifridge
Evening cookies at reception
24 hour business center with Internet terminals and printer (when it works)
USA Today newspaper included
Various discount rates available (military, AARP, etc)
24 hour reception

Cons:

No in-hotel laundry. Coin laundry available at sister hotel Comfort Inn a couple of hundred feet away
No Gym.
No in-hotel restaurant

• Liked — value for money
  • Disliked — no standout in any category
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled solo