“Close to home, but you step into a different world.”
Review of Stevenson Ridge

Stevenson Ridge
Alexandria, VA
“Close to home, but you step into a different world.”
Reviewed July 5, 2012

We had the pleasure of meeting Debbie and Dan and it is obvious how much of a labor of love this property is. They strive for authenticity, but still offer many of the most modern conveniences. You couldn't meet two nicer people, and their staff is knowledgeable and helpful. If you want a simple retreat from the world . . . this is it.

Room Tip: Not your typical B&B, all rooms (cabins, actually) are completely unique. There is a history be...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
philadelphia
Reviewed June 14, 2012 via mobile

We recently stayed at this inn. For a trip to the Civil War Battlefields. I am mobility impaired, so we chose the Corn Cob cabin. It was perfect for me. No steps, bars in bathroom, a walk in shower and a chair doe the shower if you need it. this cabin was well thought out, bright and comfortable. It has a mini kitchen with sink, full refrigerator and microwave. this is a beautiful property, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed June 4, 2012

I was very pleased with the cabin that was the servants quarters. It was nice to be able to sit out on the porch in a couple of Adirondack chairs or go sit on the pier in the pond for a relaxing read. We did not avail of the outdoor shower -- but maybe next time.

We had the twin beds pushed together to make a king bed upstairs. I thought it was cozy and romantic.

NB:
1) Walking around upstairs requires care so one does not hit his/her head getting into and out of bed
2) to maximize space in the cozy cabin, the toilet offers little privacy, so just be aware of this
3) the lighting inside the cabin made night time reading difficult, consider bringing a book light

The location was great for us. Between Fredericksburg and Lake Anna. FYI - we never got food delivered, but at least one local Chinese restaurant does deliver.

Very friendly staff too!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sinequinnon
Florence, South Carolina
Reviewed January 2, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Stevenson Ridge on our way back to SC from a stay in PA. The holidays were so busy, we just wanted a day to relax. We drove past the entrance of Stevenson Ridge the first time, but as we were driving past the view absolutely took my breath away. The SR is set on a beautiful piece of land. There is a pond in the middle of the property surrounded by a few of the houses you can stay in. My husband and I stayed in the Log House. It WAS GORGEOUS! We pulled up and on the porch was a lit Christmas tree amongst the rockers. Immediately when we walked in we felt at home. The place is so cozy and there is a fireplace in every room. Not only was the cabin spotless in terms of cleanliness, but it had every amenity that you could possible think of. There was even a DVD player with at least 12 diffferent DVDs of all genres to choose from.
Even though there are four fire places, there is also heat as well that was easy to use. If you are into playing chess, there is a beautiful chess board. The Log House is stocked with coffee and tea, water. There are wine and champagne glasses for use as well as a full set of plates and silverware. Upstiars are two bedrooms. The master bedroom is beautiful with a king size bed and fireplace. The shower is HUGE. I found that it didn't get piping hot, but that really wasn't an issue.
At night the other houses reflect off the pond and it is absolutely breathtaking.
Jennifer was extremely kind and helpful and delivered our breakfast basket in the morning right on time. The details on the property are just stunning. We will definitely be back!
The only one minor complaint is that our door to the cabin didn't lock properly when we went out to dinner in the town of Fredricksburg.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jennie H
chicago
Reviewed September 12, 2011

My husband and I stayed in the log cabin at Stevenson Ridge and were so happy we did! It is a beautiful property and the owners were incredibly gracious. The cabin has two floors with two bedrooms and two bathrooms in it (one full, one half bath). There is a fireplace in every room in the house! It was so cozy and romantic--and absolutely spotless. Also, its proximity to the four Civil War battlefields was great. We very easily drove to each of them and even went out to Fredericksburg for dinner. When we toured Spottsylvania Battlefield, we realized just how close to it Stevenson Ridge is. We literally turned left out of the national park and the Stevenson Ridge was the next thing that we drove past.

We did not have the breakfast basket there that they advertise. Instead, we went into Spottsylvania to a small cafe not far from the cabin. The owner ahd recommended the spot and we really enjoyed our meal.

I was trying to come up with even one minor blemish of this stay to make my review sound more balanced, but I really can't. My husband and I plan on coming back in the winter to the cabin and we couldn't be happier about it. I guess the only down side that I could see to this place is if you plan to go out to the bars in Fredericksburg. You would need to have a designated driver (I believe that Stevenson Ridge will help you arrange for transportation though if you ask).

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank usatraveller9979
Bethesda, Maryland
Reviewed July 12, 2011

I stayed in the Servant's Quarters with my grand daughter and daughter-in-law. We were in town for a wedding. The receiption was held at the lodge on the property. A lovely experience. The owner's have shown a great attention to detail in furnishing the different houses on the property. They were generous in letting us tour the other houses and get good points for that. The Servant's Quarters had twin beds which was a plus since I was traveling with my daughter-in-law. There was plenty of room for a pac n' play! I would recommend this as a weekend destination from DC or as a venue for a wedding/reunion, etc.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank skmeloan
Avon, CT
Reviewed April 11, 2011

Friends and I were visiting Virginia battlefields and stayed at the Stevenson Ridge Inn. it was a wonderful experience. As you can imagine visiting those historic sites and staying in traditional buildings was quite a thrill. I stayed in the Log Cabin and would recommend it to anyone. Sitting on the porch in the evening or during breakfast in the morning Was a unique opportunity. The family operating the in was extremely welcoming. I hope to be able to go back again.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank StorminNorm
Also consider these accommodations in or near Spotsylvania
Hampton Inn & Suites Fredericksburg South
Best Western Plus Thornburg Inn & Suites
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Fredericksburg South (I-95)
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson,...
#13 of 42 in Fredericksburg
Sleep Inn Southpoint
Sleep Inn Southpoint
#14 of 42 in Fredericksburg
Hampton Inn & Suites Fredericksburg
Comfort Suites Fredericksburg South
Comfort Suites Fredericksburg So...
#15 of 42 in Fredericksburg

Been to Stevenson Ridge? Share your experiences!