“Great Rooms, Great Hosts, Anything but Ordinary”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sperryville
Hopkins Ordinary Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 6 Sperryville B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 14, 2009

I booked the Hopkins Ordinary for New Year's Eve to get away from DC. The drive, while not short, was well worth the effort.

The owners/hosts were gracious, kind and knowledgeable. They were engaging but careful not to intrude. They brought me tea to my room, lit a fire in the fireplace and had me try some seriously delicious home made cookies.

When I woke up the following morning, there was a great breakfast with three different varieties of bacon. Following my meal, the owners helped me book a massage and directed me to Old Rag, a near by mountain where I was able to take a wonderful and challenging 3 hour hike.

The Hopkins Ordinary will not change your life but it will certainly make it enjoyable while you're there. This place gets my overwhelming approval.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled solo

Reviewed December 11, 2008

My husband and I were "stuck" without a reservation the night of our anniversary. The Hopkins Ordinary had one room available (the Oregano). While the room was small, it did not feel the least bit claustrophobic. The double bed was a concern to us (as my husband is tall), but the mattress was so comfortable, that we slept well. The bathroom was great-big shower with twin shower heads and a nice clean cottage feel. I would reiterate what someone else mentioned-this is not "cutesy" or "country". It is clean and simple, with great linens and nice toiletries.
The innkeepers were helpful and friendly without being invasive. Upon our arrival, Sherry offered to make reservations at the Thornton River Grille across the street.
While relaxing between check-in and dinner, we sat on the top porch in rocking chairs and watched the little town of Sperryville wrap up its day. Sherry brought us wine and tea and cookies to "hold us over".
The whole experience was lovely. It seemed the innkeepers were only interested in our happiness and well-being. They do a great job,

Stayed: November 2008
Reviewed November 17, 2008

The pictures off of the website for the Hopkins Ordinary do not do this B&B justice- this place is amazingly beautiful and classy. The actual B&B is a great house which was renoved a few years ago. Inside, it is warm and comfortable, and the room we stayed in (The Lavender room) was perfect. My wife especially loved the claw foot tub in the bathroom. Although some reviews said that Sherri and Kevin (the owners of the B&B) were unwelcoming, we have no idea how that was posted. They were amazingly helpful, made a great breakfast (the french toast is great) and helped us make dinner reservations before we came. Overall, we would highly recommend this B&B for the room, service and breakfast.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 5, 2008

Hopkins Ordinary is an extraordinary bed and breakfast in Sperryville, Virgina five miles from the Thornton Gap entrance to Shenandoah National Park and only a couple of miles from The Inn at Little Washington. We stayed there with another couple for five nights. We spent the days hiking many park trails, tasting Virgina wines, and eating at local restaurants.
Hopkins Ordinary is in the National Historic Register and is a completely renovated old hotel (ordinary) that is spic and span spotless and as friendly and welcoming a place as we have ever stayed at. The hosts do a great job of making you feel at home without being intrusive, and give great advice on everything from where to eat, drink, hike, ride, antique, etc.
The breakfasts are unbelievable, truly. Each breakfast was a gourmet gastronomical feast for eyes and mouth. Braskfast ranged from homemade sausage with French Toast made with homemade bread and their secret recipe, to fritatas with just baked scones always with fresh fruit from their garden and juice and coffee. The hosts, Kevin and Sherri, truly seem to love what they do and sourthern charm just oozes through.
The rooms are individually air conditioned with ceiling fans, and the beds while not kings, very comfortable queen sized, with very nice antique furnishings throughout.
One can walk to dinner and return to sit on their wrap around porch, drink some more wine, and soak in small little artistic Sperryville.
This is an outstanding B and B and we highly recommend it to one and all.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 4, 2008

My wife and I stayed here in mid-June to celebrate our 2 year wedding anniversary. We really liked it, and are planning to go back again with friends in the fall. It was exactly what we expected and wanted. The hosts were gracious, friendly, and accomodating. The breakfasts are tasty; they served probably the best French toast I've ever had. They have their own herb garden (which my wife was impressed by), and they enjoy cooking. They also make their own cheeses - which we loved. The rooms were clean, and stocked with reading materials. The beds were comfortable and firm, and the noise level was extremely low. The inn is in a very small and quiet town, and there's also a great restaurant across the street... I can't remember the name but worth checking out. The inn is also centrally located to some of Virginia's best vineyards. My wife and I spent the entire Saturday wine tasting and checking out the local scenery. In the evening we went to the Inn at Little Washington... and I wasn't impressed. The food was good but not great. When you're spending $200 per head you expect to be blown away... and the Inn at Little Washington didn't amaze me. Back to the Hopkins... probably what impressed me the most and made the stay as perfect as it was... were the hosts Sherri and Kevin. Their down to earth, engaging, and most of all made us feel at home. Before I forget... my wife and I did the whole Skyline Drive thing. It's actually very close to the Hopkins Ordinary. We had great weather so the views from the park were perfect.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 23, 2008

My wife and I were married in nearby Luray Caverns and we made arrangements to stay at the Hopkins Ordinary during the big weekend. Kevin and Sherri (the innkeepers) were very accommodating and worked closely with us to make sure everything was right. We had them make dinner for the wedding party after the ceremony — we can highly recommend their culinary skills! Their breakfasts are not to be missed. In addition, they know the area very well and have consistently guided us to everything from hiking trails to fabulous local off-the-beaten
-path dining spots. We strongly recommend Hopkins Ordinary and the proprietors to everyone!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 13, 2007

My wife and I celebrated our 9th anniversary with a trip to Hopkins Ordinary. As first the name threw us, but it ended up being anything but ordinary. The hosts are foodies like us, and they had just started harvesting swiss chard fromt their garden. Cool. Oh, and don't forget the wine they so kindly provided us on our arrival -- a classy touch. Breakfast was broiled grapefruit with brown sugar and cinnamon; the sugar caramelized and totally balanced the tart of the grapefruit. Nice scones with oatmeal and raisins and moist, creamy frittatas with a choice of salmon with leeks and goat cheese (yum), or Swiss chard with pesto and feta cheese. Good stuff. The town of Sperryville is totally cute, and we had very nice hikes on the Appalachian trail -- plus a few halfway-decent Virginia wineries not far away. We couldn't eat at the Inn at Little Washington, which is nearby, but there's a FANTASTIC dinner place called Foti's that's also really close. WOW. They can cook. Definitely recommend the total experience.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sperryville
13 mi away
#1 of 8 in Washington
Skyland
Skyland
#1 of 1 in Shenandoah National Park

Been to Hopkins Ordinary Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!