All reviews working farm shenandoah national park the main house swimming pool frittata family style great hiking perfect weekend fresh veggies lovely property bacon rooms are spacious my wife and i mike cows hike rag
Reviewed November 1, 2014

We had a wonderful stay with Susan and Mike. We were working in the area and stayed to enjoy the beautiful area for the weekend. Delicious breakfasts and were so flexible and accommodating of our schedule. We will certainly return!

Date of stay: October 2014
Reviewed October 6, 2014

Mike and Sue have created something special here - a rustic, quaint retreat set on hundreds of acres of farm land. This isn't the place if you are looking for fancy amenities like an HDTV or rainfall shower heads, but this is the place if you want to get away from it all, breath fresh air, be treated to a wonderful farm-sourced breakfast and have a great basecamp from which to hike, visit vineyards and dine at some world-class restaurants.
We arrived very late on a Friday night which was no problem for the hosts. Woke up to a delicious breakfast and then were treated to a wonderful massage arranged by Belle Meade. Were able to explore to farm to our hearts content (piglets-squee!) and then visit some nearby vineyards before we came back to get ready for dinner in our large, bright room.
We will definitely be back!

Room tip: The White Oak room was very bright (windows on 3 sides) and had a great old wood-burning stove to keep warm when the evenings got chily.
Date of stay: October 2014
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 28, 2014

We had a wonderful weekend at Belle Meade. During the day we went to the national park for hiking and sightseeing, but did return one day early enough to enjoy the nice pool while the sun was still out. Breakfast was special with quiche, sausage, muffins one day and Belgian waffles (real maple syrup), bacon the next. All high quality and well prepared. Our room and bed were comfortable in the grand old house, with a modern private bathroom. Enjoyed walking around the active farm. Definitely will be staying there again.

Date of stay: June 2014
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 15, 2014

We stayed here because we were attending the nearby Castleton Festival. We were not impressed.

The pros:

1. The room had windows on two sides, so it was a beautiful place to wake up.
2. It was only a short drive to the Castleton festival.
3. It has some interesting historic buildings.
4. The diverse group of people at breakfast had interesting stories to tell.

The cons:

1. We had told them exactly when we would arrive, but there was no one to greet us. We make allowances for B&B's, which tend to be understaffed. But, imagine driving for a very long time and then waiting another 20 minutes to get someone to check you in.
2. My wife frequently needs yogurt to take pills. So, we were promised in advance that they would provide it. They would have served us better if they had just said upfront they couldn't do it, because none was ever provided. Fortunately, my wife took her pills without problems, but we weren't happy with their broken promise.
3. Breakfast was very slow. You might not want to spend much of the morning waiting for very long periods between courses.
4. I find that ineptness is frequently accompanied by rudeness. When I started to load my car before departing, I was chased by an impudent woman who insisted that I pay before leaving. It was noteworthy that the same people who were invisible at check-in instantly appeared well before checkout. I told her that I needed to make several trips to my car and I had every intention of paying, and in any case they already had my credit card on file. She also had to ask me how many days I had stayed. I asked her why they hadn't produced the breakfast yogurt that I had been promised, and she said that they had different shifts and no one had told her about it. This place has serous communications problems.
5. Finally, it is not air conditioned. This wasn't much of a problem when we were there, but it could certainly affect some people, especially in July.

Conclusion: If they could get their management up to a level of at least mediocre, it might be worth staying here again. But for future Castleton festivals, we will stay elsewhere.

Date of stay: July 2013
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
5  Thank New L
bellemeadeinn, Owner at Belle Meade Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2014

Sometimes we are outside with the animals when guests arrive. Sometimes the time guests arrive isn't precisely as they predicted. Funny about the yogurt. I realized after you left that we had the yogurt available but probably needed a gentle reminder that you were ready to take your pills and needed it then. We do hope you find accommodations to your liking in the future.

Reviewed March 17, 2014

This was our group's second time at Belle Meade. We rented the entire B&B for the weekend sharing an amazing time hiking in Shenandoah National Park to return to Belle Meade for a relaxing happy hour in the parlor. Both mornings we had a great breakfast with meat, eggs and greens grown from their farm. We even bought meat and eggs to take home with us to share with our families. We roamed the farm to visit the animals and see the new baby pigs. Mike and Susan made our stay very welcoming and peaceful to allow us to share relaxation, lots of laughter and community. Read more about our weekend at http://blog.hikingalong.com/2014/03/amplifying-community-among-women-in-the-outdoors.html

Date of stay: March 2014