“Contempory Gourmet in Sperryville”

Thornton River Grille
Reserve with OpenTable
Thornton River Grille is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 13 Restaurants in Sperryville
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Serving great American food with a worldly flair, we’re open Tuesday through Saturday from 11am to 3pm for lunch and 5pm to 9pm for dinner. We also serve a lovely brunch on Sunday from 10am to 3pm and dinner from 5pm to 8pm. The atmosphere is at the same time elegant and casual. The richness and warmth of the hand-planed wood-paneled walls provides a comfortable dining experience that can be enjoyed equally in dressy-casual attire or hiking shorts. We are located in the heart of historic Sperryville, Virginia, 75 miles west of Washington D.C., at the foot of the Blue Ridge Mountains. We look forward to serving you soon!
Reviewed April 2, 2014

Small and quaint with delicious menu options and great hand-crafted cocktails. Wine list looked diverse. HIGHLY recommend reservations, as we arrived around 6, but the staff was very friendly and accommodating, even though we did not have reservations. We ordered two appetizers; fried goat cheese (it was fabulous, don't be taken aback by "fried") and mussels in a curry broth. Both were scrumptious All entrees that we had seen appeared to be ample and cooked to perfection. The fillets looked like mini-roasts, a lot of bang for the buck. This place gets packed, which isn't surprising since the food and drinks are great and it's one of the only restaurants in town.

Reviewed March 29, 2014

I'm not fond of the basket service but the food and friendly atmosphere makes up for that. The fried oysters are first rate and the shrimp devine

1  Thank shopper807
Reviewed March 22, 2014

This is very much a local favorite with a busy dinner hour and brunch. The place is friendly and casual -- a little noisy -- and, because the kitchen is open it can get a bit smoky. Portions are generous and the prices reasonable. I'm a local and I've eaten there maybe a dozen times -- never had a bad meal and my only complaint is that food tends to be heavy and I wind up feeling like I need a nap after I eat. Which may be a good sign! I'd recommend this place for people passing through on their way to or from Skyline Drive. Reservations are a good idea bcse it can get busy on Friday/Sat eves or Sunday brunch. This is good, basic food at OK prices though when compared to DC prices it may seem like bargain. They have an outdoor patio that is open in the summer -- nothing special about it but it is nice to sit outside.

Reviewed March 21, 2014

When ever I want to get away from the hustle and bustle of Washington,D.C. I head West to Sperryville, Va. The good food, great staff and friendly people who you meet there are well worth the trip. For a small restaurant the menu is outstanding.

Reviewed March 18, 2014

Good food, good wine, friendly service and ample parking. And there's a general store adjacent to the restaurant in case you need to grab anything else. Double Win!