“Probably not a good choice for vegetarians”

Thornton River Grille
Reserve with OpenTable
Thornton River Grille is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 13 Restaurants in Sperryville
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Serving great American food with a worldly flair, we’re open Tuesday through Saturday from 11am to 3pm for lunch and 5pm to 9pm for dinner. We also serve a lovely brunch on Sunday from 10am to 3pm and dinner from 5pm to 8pm. The atmosphere is at the same time elegant and casual. The richness and warmth of the hand-planed wood-paneled walls provides a comfortable dining experience that can be enjoyed equally in dressy-casual attire or hiking shorts. We are located in the heart of historic Sperryville, Virginia, 75 miles west of Washington D.C., at the foot of the Blue Ridge Mountains. We look forward to serving you soon!
Reviewed January 22, 2013

We didn't eat here even though we planned to so my assessment is based on their menu. We had a reservation and sat down but were turned off by the menu. I am a vegetarian and there was only one option on their menu for me--mushroom risotto (mushrooms are the only veggie I dislike). My mom (not a vegetarian) wasn't thrilled with the meat-heavy choices for herself, either. Often, if I am out for a special occasion with a group, I don't mind eating a salad as my meal (the restaurant actually offered to make a big one for me when we mentioned why we were leaving) but this was just me and my mom and I didn't feel like compromising given that nothing on the menu really interested her, either. This is an expensive place so we only wanted to eat there if it was "worth it" and a compromise veggie meal wouldn't have been "worth it."

That said, EVERYONE we talked to in the are (locals) raved about this restaurant. So if beef, pork, or duck are things you enjoy, this is probably an excellent choice. And I heard their bread pudding for dessert is unbelievable.

Reviewed January 1, 2013

We enjoyed a nice New Year's Eve dinner here while staying at the nearby Hopkins Ordinary. The service was prompt; the food was excellent; our kids did well there, even though they were the only children in the restaurant.

Reviewed December 16, 2012

I read about the Grille on TripAdvisor when I was scouting out places for a trip to VA. The reviews were accurate and we enjoyed our lunch. We would recommend it as having good food and nice atmosphere.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

Everything is great. I've had dinner here twice and it is always unbelievably good. Last time I had the pan-seared duck in a port wine reduction sauce... wow... just WOOOW! Duck is my new favorite... but I know I won't find it cooked that way again. That just means I will have to go back :) Eat here... it will definitely become your new fave too!

Reviewed November 18, 2012

No, I'm not talking about a Mongolian barbeque or a Japanese steakhouse....Thornton River Grille is one of two favorites of mine in this area. If you dine in the main room set off from the general store, you have the great opportunity to witness your dinner being cooked in the open kitchen. The setting is a touch rustic but elegant. Steaks are cooked well, their reuben was to die for and I am impressed with the professionalism of their staff. Plus I always pick up a mixed sixer of small craft beer on my way out through the store. Great place to take your future mother-in-law.

1  Thank jamieblackswell