“One of my favorite places to eat”

Thornton River Grille
Reserve with OpenTable
Thornton River Grille is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 13 Restaurants in Sperryville
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Serving great American food with a worldly flair, we’re open Tuesday through Saturday from 11am to 3pm for lunch and 5pm to 9pm for dinner. We also serve a lovely brunch on Sunday from 10am to 3pm and dinner from 5pm to 8pm. The atmosphere is at the same time elegant and casual. The richness and warmth of the hand-planed wood-paneled walls provides a comfortable dining experience that can be enjoyed equally in dressy-casual attire or hiking shorts. We are located in the heart of historic Sperryville, Virginia, 75 miles west of Washington D.C., at the foot of the Blue Ridge Mountains. We look forward to serving you soon!
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I've been coming to TRG for about four years now. Wish I could go more often than I am able to so it is always a treat when we go. I hate to confess that I always get the burger with blue cheese and bacon. It's always cooked perfectly. And the fries are fabulous. Plus I enjoy a glass of Va red with my burger. So I can't speak too much on the other menu items (usually everyone gets the burger) but I have been tempted by the steak salad.....maybe if I got here more often. For dessert, I always have their chocolate bread pudding. It's OMG fabulous! Decadent and worth every calorie. Knock on wood, I seem to hit the restaurant at times where I don't have to wait but yes it does get crowded. I prefer sitting at the low tables, not the high. The restaurant is small so it can get noisy. I have never had an issue with the service. Can't wait to go back in two weeks. It's a nice place to stop if you are driving up to the Shenandoah. Enjoy!

There are newer reviews for Thornton River Grille

Reviewed October 15, 2012 via mobile

We visited TRG on recommendation of our B&B host and were pleasantly surprised. We had reservations but still had to wait a bit - I used time to visit the store: a very eclectic collection of wine including local, European, and obscure wines from small scale producers, good olive oil, and three types of bitters! We were seated and drink order was promptly taken: I decided to try Kung Fu Girl Riesling from Oregon - light and slightly acidic. Appetizers: lovely Bibb salad which turned out to be two salads in one: tender greens with perfectly grilled lardons and crispy local apples with toasted almonds and blue cheese with creamy dressing. My husband ordered a nice Ceasar salad and our son had a fried goat cheese appetizer: a roll of lightly coated cheese on the bed of arugula and red pepper coulis accompanied by a proscuito crisp - convincing him to give me a taste was not easy! Entrees: a perfectly grilled medium pork chop with wonderful apple cider glaze, creamy grits, and slightly steed haricot verts - my only complaint was that smoked Gouda in grits was not more pronounced. My husband had a nicely charred steak with buttery mashed potatoes, wilted spinach and roasted grape tomatoes and my son opted for a special of flaky pink salmon with creamy mashed potatoes and green beans. Portions are very generous so if we are in the area again, we'll be sharing. Desserts: finding space after such of scrumptious meal was difficult but we managed. Light chocolate pot de creme was a perfect finish for my dinner and my men shared a ginger cheese cake - airy and not overwhelmingly spicy. Service was well spaced, we were frequently checked on by the manager making rounds of the room to make sure that everything goes smoothly. Room was lively and noisy in a good way. Will definitely recommend this restaurant!

Reviewed October 15, 2012

The food was delicious, with upscale prices to go along with them, in a non fussy atmosphere. Very good service. We were disappointed that they were out of two of our choices (scallops and bourbon pecan pie), so I suppose the lesson is to arrive before 7 p.m. on Sundays.

Reviewed October 14, 2012

If you are out and about, headed to or from Sperryville and other Blue Ridge locations, you will enjoy this restaurant...good food and service, not fancy but enjoyable!

Reviewed October 9, 2012

Those who are rating the food and service as excellent have obviously never experienced anything worthwhile. Honestly, it was cramped, slow, expensive and certainly not good food. I selected a cheeseburger at $11 because the Ribeye salad which sounded good was $18. Medium please - that does not mean bleeding all over my plate with a stale dry bun.