“Delicious delicious delicious”

Ranked #1 of 15 Restaurants in South Riding
Dining options: Delivery
Dining options: Delivery
Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

Absolutely delicious. Try the Mongolian beef - a rich smoky fkavor, and Hunan chicken- lots of ginger. We look forwards to going back. Only suggestion, they should do homemade pancakes, they use premade.

Reviewed June 15, 2013

Kirin an excellent casual Chinese restaurant is tucked away on a back street in the center of South Riding. We are used to Chinese on the west coast and Kirin is the closes we have found to the fresh cooking we were used to there. Several of the dishes rank with the best we have ever had; the crispy eggplant is incredible, it is usually found only at Chinese banquets. The fried items are crisp and not greasy, The owner and chef are very friendly and accommodating, and seem happy to meet any special requirements because everything is cooked to order. The sauces are wonderful, not gummy or gluey, and they do not all taste alike as they do at some lesser establishments. The restaurant is calm and clean, not overdecorated, on the casual side. The easiest way to find Kirin is to turn onto Elk Lick Road off Route 50 near the entrance to South Riding, and follow Elk Lick into South Riding, you will see Kirin's open sign on the right next to a bank. If you are in South Riding, it is on the street behind the Food Lion. Popular for take-out. We visit often!

1  Thank ohmyandros
Reviewed May 11, 2012

I'm a huge chinese food fan and have tried a great many restaurants in the chantilly/fairfax area. This is the one I always come back to. It is a little more expensive than some places, but the food is always outstanding. The staff is polite, and if you live in the South Riding/Stone Ridge area delivery is always prompt. My recommendation: try the crispy shredded beef, it is particularly excellent!

Reviewed February 18, 2012

We eat here all the time and we are always satisfied. We have done takeout (have some tea while you wait!), eat in (portions huge) and delivery (fairly quick) - the service always excels!
The food is what I have heard called Americanized Chinese and have heard some folks scoff at this type of cuisine but I've never been to China so not sure how it compares. I have however grown up in the NYC area where they have tons of Chinese take out and some are much better than others, Kiran would rank on the top of that list. Also there are a few other Asian places in the Chantilly area that Kiran handily beats in my opinion.
They get the little things right, there aren't too many onions in the veggie dishes, the meat or seafood is always cooked just right. The chicken is always just chicken (no fat, gristle,etc). The spring rolls aren't too greasy. The fried rice has the right balance of egg, veggies, salt etc. The young kids love sweet and sour chicken, for our youngest we call them chicken mcnuggets but are much better! The batter is light and the chicken pieces again are high quality. Not like other places when there is more coating than chicken and the chicken is questionable. I could go on about many other dishes being spot on but you get the picture. If you have a favorite Asian dish that Kirian serves up I'll bet they do it the way you like! Give them a shot!

2  Thank 5torm
Reviewed December 8, 2011

My husband and I live in South Riding and the Kirin Asian Cafe is right on the way home. We either stop there or get take-out from them probably every other week. The service is very good, the food is delicious and consistent in quality. We order all kinds of dishes and have never been disappointed. Casual, fun, quick and easy -- everything it should be for this type of food.