“WORST EXPERIENCE EVER !!!!!”

Americas Best Value Inn South Hill
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in South Hill
Reviewed December 5, 2011

We stayed there because of course the price. What is the saying? Some things you just can't put a price on? This was the nastiest place I have ever stayed at. Bugs, roach tapes with bugs on them. Why doesn't this place have an exterminator? The towels the 2 little ones we received. There were 5 of us and they had to hunt down 3 extra ones. NO wash rags. We asked if they offered cots at additional cost. They explained to me that they were packed in storage and if I wanted they could go try and find one and unpack it. NO!!! Because EVERYTHING stunk... the sheets... the towels... the pillows.. the blankets. There were NO fitted sheets. So soon as you rolled over in the bed you were laying on top of the mattress. HOW NASTY IS THAT?????? I spoke with the older lady at the front desk and all she did was look at me with a smirky look and said "Well I have been telling him to order some fitted sheets." and "I'm sorry". Are you serious?? For what we went through and we get an "I'm sorry"? TAKE MY ADVISE..... STAY AWAY FROM THIS HELL HOLE!!!! I will make sure I tell any and everyone I come in contact with about my experience.

Room Tip: Stay away from this hotel/motel.. WORST EVER!!
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank Lorri W
There are newer reviews for Americas Best Value Inn South Hill

Reviewed August 29, 2011

I guaranteed my reservation online with a credit card. Only to be turned away upon arrival because my rooms were given to current hotel guest due to the hurricane. Two days later, a pending charge is still showing. In fact, keeping that money from me and from being used as I see fit since I did not recieve services from the establishment I was guaranteed 2 rooms.
The more important issue here is that I arrived at the hotel expecting to shelter myself and my children from a hurricane to be rudely informed by the General Manager that a message was left on my phone. I checked my phone, the call came in at 11:45 am (I arrived at the hotel at 12:15 pm, PRIOR to check in time at 2 pm) This establishment had rented my rooms to someone else because they wouldn't leave. Those people did not have a reservation that was GUARANTEED by a credit card. I asked him what he was going to do with me and he said nothing. I will admit I had an outburst in the lobby but what was I to do with my children in the storm?
I had no where to stay with my children in the hurricane. No way to protect them from the weather, no where for them to sleep, no way to keep them safe. I could not even go home because all the bridges and tunnels were closed due to the weather. I want you to fully understand the terror of a mother by herself trying to keep 3 children safe in the face of unknown natural disaster. At this point in time, I was unable to obtain a room at any other establishment as THEY honored their patron's reservations. I waited around for hours searching frantically for any of the hotels that might have a cancellation during this hurricane. It was an unsuccessful wait. I must say, it turned out to be a real disaster.
My understanding after some research is that when a room or rooms are reserved guaranteed by credit card that it is franchise practice to hold that room and to charge the card for that night if the person does not show. I arrived before check in on my guaranteed arrival date and was turned away. There is still at minimum a hold on my credit card. For me ,this was the most horrible experience. Imagine my state of mind for myself and my children after having spent the storm in a Honda Accord?

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank glambert6437
Reviewed August 18, 2011

This is not a place to take your family. I was afraid to sleep at night because of the variety of crawling insects in the room. I even had to brush them off the bed. Fortunately, I didn't see any bedbugs. The carpeting on the floor was in poor condition with frayed edges. The dresser was sunken in the middle and the drawers didn't completely shut. One evening a couple rented a room next to ours for a few hours. Needless to say, we could hear everything going on over there (you know what I mean). There was no swimming poor or fitness center; however, the wifi worked well.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank Phyllis J
Reviewed August 4, 2011

The room was nasty.The beds were on wooden boards.The walls were very dirty.The beds did not have fitted sheets.I did not get any room service for two whole days.There was not enough towels for five people.I had to go and buy wash cloths just to use.The bed will move when someone will sit down.This was the worst hotel that I ever stayed in.My advice is to find some where else to stay.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank pernellfamily
Reviewed April 15, 2011

The title says it all. On top of the 100's of dollars I have spent in the last 48 hours to keep from bringing them home, the owners were completely rude and uncooperative. A little bit of compassion and kindness goes a long way, there was none. I am so upset from this experience that I think I may of lost some hope for finding the good in people.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
4  Thank Jbeano639
abvisouthhill, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn South Hill, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2011

Dear Traveler,

Thank you for taking the time to communicate to us why our hotel did not meet your expectations. We wish to address your needs and provide the best solution available to resolve your issue as soon as possible. If you could please contact us immediately so that we can further evaluate how we can prevent this problem from occurring again in the future.

Please accept our sincerest apology for any trouble or inconvenience we have caused you.

Americas Best Value Inn-South Hill

Reviewed July 16, 2010

We liked staying in this Inn. The room and the bathroom were really spacious and clean.The staff was friendly and helpful.
Breakfast has to be eaten on the go, but we were anyway just traveling through.
The prices are VERY low and we were really surprised at what a great experience we had for such little money

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family

Dear Traveler,

Thank you for taking the time to share a review about our hotel. We are happy to know you enjoyed our friendly staff. We take great pride in exceeding guest expectations. We look forward to another opportunity to service your future lodging needs.

Americas Best Value Inn-South Hill, VA

Reviewed May 31, 2010

This motel was horrible to stay in. the room was smelly and the furniture were greasy and dirty. The towels was dingy and had spots on them. the bathroom ran and I had to fix it. The bed did not have a mattress pad and the mattress had stains on it. I asked for a refund because I had to pay in advance. THe owner would not give me a refund and stated that it was their policy to not refund any money. I purchased a mattress pad and towel for the rest of my stay. I purchased air freshener also. The window curtains was stained and the a/c did not work probably.

clinton merritte, dated stayed 16-21 May room 112 phone #[---]

2  Thank iron9

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our property. Critical feedback is a great way for us to improve guest satisfaction. We apologize for any negative experiences you had with housekeeping. We have hired and trained new housekeepers since your last visit. Unfortunately, we did not hear of your complaint until after you had already checked out. We did offer you a free night stay due to the inconvenience.

I hope you give us another opportunity to service your future lodging needs.

Americas Best Value Inn-South Hill,VA