“Not a Place for Families”

Americas Best Value Inn South Hill
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in South Hill
Chandler, Arizona
“Not a Place for Families”
Reviewed August 18, 2011

This is not a place to take your family. I was afraid to sleep at night because of the variety of crawling insects in the room. I even had to brush them off the bed. Fortunately, I didn't see any bedbugs. The carpeting on the floor was in poor condition with frayed edges. The dresser was sunken in the middle and the drawers didn't completely shut. One evening a couple rented a room next to ours for a few hours. Needless to say, we could hear everything going on over there (you know what I mean). There was no swimming poor or fitness center; however, the wifi worked well.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank Phyllis J

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Dillon, South Carolina
Reviewed August 4, 2011

The room was nasty.The beds were on wooden boards.The walls were very dirty.The beds did not have fitted sheets.I did not get any room service for two whole days.There was not enough towels for five people.I had to go and buy wash cloths just to use.The bed will move when someone will sit down.This was the worst hotel that I ever stayed in.My advice is to find some where else to stay.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank pernellfamily

Travelers are raving about these South Hill hotels

Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed April 15, 2011

The title says it all. On top of the 100's of dollars I have spent in the last 48 hours to keep from bringing them home, the owners were completely rude and uncooperative. A little bit of compassion and kindness goes a long way, there was none. I am so upset from this experience that I think I may of lost some hope for finding the good in people.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank Jbeano639
abvisouthhill, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn South Hill, responded to this review, May 9, 2011
Dear Traveler,

Thank you for taking the time to communicate to us why our hotel did not meet your expectations. We wish to address your needs and provide the best solution available to resolve your issue as soon as possible. If you could please contact us immediately so that we can further evaluate how we can prevent this problem from occurring again in the future.

Please accept our sincerest apology for any trouble or inconvenience we have caused you.

Americas Best Value Inn-South Hill
Aarau, Switzerland
Reviewed July 16, 2010

We liked staying in this Inn. The room and the bathroom were really spacious and clean.The staff was friendly and helpful.
Breakfast has to be eaten on the go, but we were anyway just traveling through.
The prices are VERY low and we were really surprised at what a great experience we had for such little money

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Dear Traveler,

Thank you for taking the time to share a review about our hotel. We are happy to know you enjoyed our friendly staff. We take great pride in exceeding guest expectations. We look forward to another opportunity to service your future lodging needs.

Americas Best Value Inn-South Hill, VA
st louis
Reviewed May 31, 2010

This motel was horrible to stay in. the room was smelly and the furniture were greasy and dirty. The towels was dingy and had spots on them. the bathroom ran and I had to fix it. The bed did not have a mattress pad and the mattress had stains on it. I asked for a refund because I had to pay in advance. THe owner would not give me a refund and stated that it was their policy to not refund any money. I purchased a mattress pad and towel for the rest of my stay. I purchased air freshener also. The window curtains was stained and the a/c did not work probably.

clinton merritte, dated stayed 16-21 May room 112 phone #[---]

2 Thank iron9
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our property. Critical feedback is a great way for us to improve guest satisfaction. We apologize for any negative experiences you had with housekeeping. We have hired and trained new housekeepers since your last visit. Unfortunately, we did not hear of your complaint until after you had already checked out. We did offer you a free night stay due to the inconvenience.

I hope you give us another opportunity to service your future lodging needs.

Americas Best Value Inn-South Hill,VA
Norfolk, Virginia
Reviewed April 25, 2010

This hotel is really a mixed bag--mostly negative with a couple positives thrown in. First, the positives: The desk staff were as nice as can be, very friendly and pleasant. They offered a continental breakfast that consisted of muffins, cereal, and bananas, which was nice to have as we hit the road. And the room, although there was an overall shabbiness to it, was basically clean (although the carpets and bedspread had an overall feeling of griminess, that may have been a product of the other negatives). It did have a little refrigerator that worked quite well, and a microwave. There was a supermarket across the street and a restaurant next door.
Now, the negatives: Everything else. This hotel is a two-story building with all room entrances on the outside, as many hotels used to be. The clientele consisted of people who appeared to be gang-bangers, or people who shouted across the parking lot, shouted on the stairs, shouted in their rooms, etc. The people above us (one room away from the lobby) were loud and thudding around their room until 3:00 a.m. Others walked around outside and talked as if they were not at a hotel where people were trying to sleep. This is not the fault of the hotel staff, of course, but it is a problem to travelers, nevertheless. The towels were threadbare and quite discolored from age, the bed was rock-hard with the feel of springs coming through, and the furniture was so cheaply made that the dresser drawers would not close. The toilet handle had to be jiggled after each use. I was afraid to try the shower, so can't comment about it. We paid $45 for the room plus $10 each for two dogs (which is why we chose it--not every hotel wants people who have pets), so we were not expecting the Taj Mahal, and could probably have overlooked much of it were it not for the type of people who stayed there--at one point, my husband half-joked that he hoped we survived the night. Again, this is not the fault of the hotel, but it still matters to travelers. In sum, this is hotel that may have seen better days, but those days were long ago.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank VALady50
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay at our property. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you felt you experienced with us. There is never an excuse for providing anything less than great service. All claims against this property will be further investigated and corrected where necessary. I hope you will give us another opportunity to service your future lodging needs.

Americas Best Value Inn-South Hill, VA
baltimore, md
Reviewed May 7, 2009

We stayed here on April 29 and 30, 2009 for a family funeral. During our time of loss we were unsure where to stay and found this hotel. I remembered I had been here once before and the rooms were not so good. But we were tired from driving and wanted to rest. this time the rooms were very nice. I could tell that some renovations had been done and the room was very clean and smelled really fresh. Even the front desk clerk was friendly and bubbly. She had a great personality and made us feel better about even having to be there to begin with. We were very pleased with our experience this time. We will definately be back again!!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family