“Large Hotel Chain with Small Town Feel”

BEST WESTERN PLUS South Hill Inn
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in South Hill
Baltimore
“Large Hotel Chain with Small Town Feel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2012

Checked in with my family (2 adults, 2 preschoolers) for a 2 night stay during Thanksgiving week.

Quick and courteous check-in. Hotel lobby and hallways were very quiet and cozy (minus the noise from my kids). Great tasting complimentary hot breakfast each morning. Free wi-fi (something I take for granted until I stay with other chains that don't offer it).

Surrounding town is very small with Super Walmart as its only attraction. You will need to travel an hour south to Raleigh, NC for recreation. But, our primary reason for our stay was to visit family.

Staff was on hand when needed. They were friendly and chatty--interested in where we traveled from and how we were enjoying the town.

• Stayed November 2012
4 Thank Nadia H
Jay R, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS South Hill Inn, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear Ms. Nadia H:
Here we provide an unmatchable guest experience, with all the amenities offered by anyhotel chain, but also make our guests feel as a member of our own Best Western Plus South Hill family.
Respectfully:
Jay

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Winder, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

I am a travelling electronics technician. I was on my way from Norfolk to Atlanta when my truck broke down in front of the Best Western Motel in South Hill, Va.. Jay, the manager happened by and asked if he could help. My truck merely had a broken belt so I asked him if there was a nearby auto parts store. He said there was and offered me a ride. He took me to get the part, brought me back and I was back on the road in less than half an hour. I was not a guest at his hotel but if he is such a good sumaritan to a complete stranger I can only imagine how well he takes care of his guests.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Brian B
Jay R, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS South Hill Inn, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Dear Brian B:
Here we pride ourselves in treating everyone as a family member, not only do we go above and beyond providing each guest with all that they need to have their best experience away from home, we provide that same enthusiasm to our community.
Respectfully:
Jay R
Gambrills, MD
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

We checked in, without a reservation, at 9:30 one evening. The desk clerk was very friendly and gave us (one adult, two teens) a very good deal: $70 plus tax for the night. The room was spacious, with two comfortable beds and everything we needed. The only negative I could find was the lack of an exhaust fan in the bathroom.

As others have said, the breakfast was fantastic, with blueberry waffles plus all the regular items. The lobby area was large enough for a good-sized crowd, so no waiting. Check-in and check-out were quick and easy.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank emilysmom2003
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

Family is here for a funeral. A Christian funeral. One of the maids was highly unprofessional this morning, charging down the hallway, cursing about something that obviously didnt go her way. The room looked nice, but some more care could have been taken. The rug needed cleaning and the toilet pedestal had "stains". What was expected from a Best Western. But to be subject to the nastiness coming from the maids mouth, that cannot be tolerated. Since her cart was on the front wall of the hallway, I will assume it was her room we stayed in. She needs a bar of soap in her mouth and hands!

1 Thank Godsvessel1947
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

Checkin was very smooth. Lucky I was able to snag a room. My family stayed in Room 118. Room was beautiful upon sight, but needed a little more attention. Cookie crumbs(?) in chair and refrigerator needed wiping out. Bathroom counter felt spotty and bathtub was just sticky. But we were tired and the value was great. Breakfast was fantastic, no microwave food. Eggs, blueberry waffles, bananas, yogurt, etc. Going back I asked the thin housekeeper for more towels,she told me she gave my husband more. She did not. A very pleasant housekeeper outside the laundry room gave me more towels. Checkout was simply easy, lady was very pleasant. I might stay again but will ask to see the room first.

1 Thank lilyfields
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012 via mobile

Got sleepy driving to DC and called from the rest stop. Very friendly for someone working the night shift. Most night shift staff have terrible attitudes. Asked for the lowest price and got quoted $20 under regular price. The room came with a spacious mini-fridge, big enough to store our wedding cake top to celebrate our 1st anniversary. Huge bed, pillows were too small and mattress was too hard but it was a beautiful room that was clean and smelled clean. The bathroom smelled like cigarettes but since I just stayed overnight it wasn't a big deal. Free wifi and the breakfast was AMAZING!!! Blueberry waffles, real orange juice with pulp, coffee, cappuccino, hot chocolate, bacon, biscuits, and the list goes on. Amazing value!!!!! Makes me want to find another BW in DC to stay in.

3 Thank AlikatNC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

stayed in Room 115. Housekeeper for this room must have gone blind when she cleaned. Dust, orangeish looking shower curtain. When asked if she had cleaned the room the previous day, she was just plain rude, telling me "Yes, it was cleaned yesterday. That Dave, the GM, had approved the room, any comments see him." Very snotty. Rest of staff was very topnotch. Two other housekeepers gave me towels and the breakfast was fantastic! Eggs, bacon, sausage, the biscuits tasted homemade!! Except for this one lady, the hotel was clean and the staff was courteous and friendly. Will stay again, but maybe ask for a room that this one housekeeper did not have.

2 Thank Budtude