“Are You Hungry???”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Buffet, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Buffet, Reservations
Reviewed July 8, 2012

Ok, if you want Fine Dining, this ain't it...but if you are starving and want good quality food in abundance on a buffet with good service then you hit the jackpot. A very large place, very decent setting with a picturesque back room view. Buffet has all the Southern Standards...fried chicken, meatloaf, beef stew, baked fish, ribs, chicken pot pie...a mix of these and more on any given day plus several sides, veggies and a big selection of salads, puddings, etc. Again, this isn't the Cordon Bleu but for a buffet I'd say the quality is darned high. Reasonably priced...won't break the bank if you have to feed several people. I live here and we have limited decent restaurants but I travel alot so I can say I've been to many restaurants where the food was not nearly as good. They bring you rolls and service is very prompt. Sure there's better places...but not here for the money. If you want to spend a bunch of money go to the Bistro 1888 and spend a fortune or alittle less for Four Oaks or Molasses Grill in nearby Halifax...you'll spend a wallet-ful more money.

I give it FOUR STARS for what it is.... one of the best buffets around for comfort food.

1  Thank matapeake

Reviewed July 5, 2012

The food at Ernie's is about as good as you can expect from a hot line in a buffet. The best reason to go is for the experience. Restaurants like Ernie's are a dying breed, if you have children or grandchildren, this is the place to head.

Ernie's is to Cracker Barrel, what Paris is to Disney's Epcot. It's possible to eat healthy, with all of the variety that's available, but "When in Rome..." This food is the reason why Paula Deen got to look the way she did, before she stopped looking that way.

After all, when's the last time you had Hawaiian Salad, complete with pineapple, coconut, and mandarin oranges in a creamy dressing? Well, they have that plus a few Jello concoctions that are out of this world. Please pass the hushpuppies!

1  Thank Edward27516
Reviewed June 14, 2012

My cousins always bring their guests here. For me, it's not a trip to South Boston without dinner at Ernie's. We always get the buffet and there is always a nice selection. It's not fancy, just good. The wait staff is friendly and it seems like a spot that has many local regulars.

2  Thank Kirke W
Reviewed April 18, 2012

My grandmother loved this place. So I had to see why. Wow, the Sunday buffet was fresh and tasty.
My grandmother has passed away....but each time I visit the area the memories of our time st Ernie lingers.
Great staff and thanks for the southern hospitality.

2  Thank Yum4tum
Reviewed January 29, 2012

Being out-of-towners, we drove by this place and it looked really crowded at 2 on a Sunday afternoon. We figured tbis is where the locals go so we thought we would try it. Great buffet for 9.25 per person. Selection of ham, roast beef, the juiciest chicken ever. Someseafood items but i didnt have any. Great salad bar and good sides. Desserts looked good but i was too full to try any.