“Such potential but lack of attention to detail in upkeep of rooms makes it suffer”

Days Inn & Suites South Boston
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in South Boston
Tampa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

I am a Platinum member with ICH Priority Club (the Holiday Inn rewards program) because of how often I stay at their hotels... particularly Holiday Inn Express brands... and I am disappointed to say that I did not have the best experience at this particular property. It wasn't the worst experience of my life but it definitely was disappointing. Here's the scoop...

I arrived late in the evening after a long day of travels and was greeted by very accommodating staff. The only problem was that I requested a room on a high floor near the elevator and they put me in a room on the ground floor that was about as far away from the lobby as you could get. Very inconvenient. Out of fairness, I didn't bring it to their attention (so I really can't complain except to say that most of my requests at other Holiday Inn Express are attended to perfectly, so it was just disappointed. But, like I said, it was late and I just wanted to crash and not delay getting to my room, so I took my keys and my nice gift bag for being a valued patron and headed off to my room. But one of the staff members did eventually notice my request and ran after me to offer to move me to a different room but I kindly declined... it was just too late and I was beat. So, while it wasn't a great start to my stay, he redeemed their standing as an attentive staff by being concerned enough to run down the hall after noticing the request. Very nice of him and a nice level of customer of service that I don't think many night attendants would take so seriously. Again... super appreciative of just the effort alone. :-)

The real problems were really just in the room quality. I have a routine that I do every time I visit a hotel and that is to immediately drop my bags at the door and take photos of the room EXACTLY as it is upon walking in. This way, my TripAdvisor pics are completely accurate and are not messed up by me having "lived" in the room at all. So, as you will see from the photos... the bathroom is nice and clean (though the shower did have cracks in the wall and some grime in the grout from being an older room, I guess), but the room was otherwise thrown together without much attention to detail. The bedskirt was a mess and was tucked up under the mattress on one side. The pillows were so untidy looking... hard to explain... see pics. These sorts of things made me wonder if the bedding was even clean but I inspected everything and it looked laundered, so that put my mind at ease.

Another thing that drove me crazy that night is that the room was musty so it made the carpet feel damp. I couldn't walk barefoot in the room... had to wear socks or it just freaked me out (and I am not usually fussy about a humid room being that I am from Florida and a lot of our rooms get like this because of our climate).

The vent cover on the wall by the door was hanging out off the wall (see pics) and the wallpaper was peeling off at the seams in the area near the coach of my room. On top of it all, the bed and the pillows were just not comfortable so I had a restless night's sleep.

The only pluses I can give is-- the lobby was lovely and looked updated, parking was free, the complimentary breakfast was nice, and the property was conveniently located near the school where I was going to be running a teacher training the next day. Other than that though, I was very disappointed and really hope more attention to the room quality and cleanliness can be given to spruce this place up.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank debbiesdreamtrips
Kareem B, Guest Relations Manager at Days Inn & Suites South Boston, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Dear debbiesdreamtrips ,

Thank you So much for taking your time to review our property and share your experience , We greatly appreciate the time that you have taken to post a review for our property . Your Comfort and satisfaction are of the highest importance to us and for that please accept our sincerest apologize that we fell below your standards and expectations , And we pay attention to the small details , upon the check in The Front desk clerk noticed that you are a platinum member with us so he upgraded your room to a business suite which is located in the first floor , and I really would like to thank you for your honesty and mentioning that he ran after you to offer to move you to a different room , We will address this points and will work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel and staff is .

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Edison, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

Stayed at this hotel on business. Couldn't have been anybetter! Breakfast is delicious. The area is convenient. Staff was friendly, and bed was comfortable. Would most definitely stay at this location again!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Kareem B, Guest Relations Manager at Days Inn & Suites South Boston, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Dear guest ,

Nj lakewood
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

I stay here every two weeks for two nights , I really like it so much , clean environment and friendly staff , thank you very much the staff at holliday inn . Breakfast is great , clean pool. Housekeepers cleaning your room perfectly everyday .

1 Thank David C
Kareem B, Guest Relations Manager at Days Inn & Suites South Boston, responded to this review, August 18, 2013
Dear David C,

On behalf of the staff and management of the Holiday inn express I would like to Thank you for sharing a traveler opinion with us. We are proud to have you as our guest. We are also very pleased to hear that you enjoy our clean rooms and hot breakfast. We really appreciate your business.
If there is anything We can do to make your stays more enjoyable, please Feel free to let us know.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

I stay here whenever I'm up visiting family in Halifax County. The breakfast alone makes it worth it. I saved so much money on breakfast. As a family of four (picky people at that) there is something for everyone, the pancake machine is a huge hit.

Rooms were clean. Lobby was clean. Pool was nice and clean with shade for us adults to sit under and watch the kids swim.

My hair dryer was on the fritz, making crazy noises, so I called down and maintenance came up to fix it. They sent the supervisor, MO, with a brand new one. He apologized profusely and made sure the new one was functioning properly before he left. He recognized us in the morning and asked if we had anymore problems with our room.

• Stayed August 2013
Kareem B, Guest Relations Manager at Days Inn & Suites South Boston, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Dear Ruth M,

Thank you so much for sharing your good experience that you had when you stayed with us, that makes us work even harder to make everybody's stay more enjoyable. And For Sure we will let MO See Your kind words .
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

I obsolutely love this hotel! My boyfriend and I stay here often as our "get away".. The new carpets and bathrooms look great and the staff is wonderful!! Kimo at the desk is the best he is always there and helps us out in any way he can. We always pick this location great place!

• Stayed August 2013
Kareem B, Guest Relations Manager at Days Inn & Suites South Boston, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
North Dakota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

Some of the negative reviews puzzle me because it doesn't sound like the same property! Well, I can share my experience to say it wasn't bad. I booked a couple of nights at the last minute for a funeral. I have family in the area and I've stayed at a few different properties in the area and this was the best hotel so far. We arrived around 2pm on a Sunday and waited about 20 minutes for a room to be ready. We were happy they had a room because we'd just been on the road for about 17 hours.

On the outside, the hotel looks nice, and the lobby and halls look great. Upon closer inspection in the rooms, there are many wear and tear items that need to be addressed. Some wall paper issues, wear on furniture, walls, locks on doors looked worn. The bathroom looked fairly new, but it looked like they did a terrible job stripping the old wallpaper and painted over lots of bumps and textures and fuzzy looking things.

The breakfast had many items and was sufficient. Most of the items were canned/refrigerated or frozen items that were likely microwaved and then placed under the heat lamps. But, the items were plentiful and for the rate, quite decent. There was also fresh fruit, yogurt and a small refrigerator that had hard boiled eggs and cartons of milk. A plus is that the breakfast is open until 10am every day, which is not common. There were lots of work crew at the property who are likely staying there as they work on local construction projects but I didn't notice them acting terribly. I only saw them early in the morning at breakfast and they were probably gone at work all day.

In general, for the rate we paid, which was around $69, I felt the hotel was sufficient. It just looks as though they need to do a better job addressing the areas that are worn. The property was what I needed and a good value. If I thought I'd spend more time in the room and was there more for leisure, I likely would have chosen the Fairfield a few blocks down, but I did not want to pay that rate this time.

If you do go for leisure, check out the Charles Bass House - you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Naomi S
Dear Cdame

Thank you So much for taking your time to review our property and share your experience , I can assure you that your comfort and satisfaction is the utmost importance to us , We will address this points and will work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is. and thank you again for mentioning the negative reviews and share with everybody that " it doesn't sound like the same property"
Norlina, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

The staff was friendly, rooms were clean, beds were comfortable. The free breakfast was even quite good. My husband and I enjoyed our stay and will be back. Make sure to check out Bistro 1888 while you're in South Boston. It's a little pricey but the BEST restaurant ever. Loved it.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Kareem B, Public Relations Manager at Days Inn & Suites South Boston, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Dear Amy M

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel. Our hardworking, dedicated staff are thankful for your kind words . We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and you love our breakfast and we are so looking forward for your next visit . thank you again
Also consider these accommodations in or near South Boston
#1 of 2 in Clarksville
Innkeeper Roxboro
Innkeeper Roxboro
#2 of 3 in Roxboro

Been to Days Inn & Suites South Boston? Share your experiences!