“Consistently the Best in Town”
Review of Bistro 1888

Bistro 1888
Reserve with OpenTable
Bistro 1888 is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 49 Restaurants in South Boston
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Virginia
“Consistently the Best in Town”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

I still find it remarkable that a restaurant of this quality can exist in a town of less than 10,000. The food and service are extraordinary and could compete in a much large community. I had the ribeye and it was perfect. They also have a very nice wine list. The setting is comfortable and the staff are very friendly. Even the locals at adjoining tables are friendly. South Boston is at the intersection of US 360 and US 58. If you're in town for the races or a festival or just passing through, this is worth a stop.

• Visited August 2013
10 Thank Don M

Fort Collins, Colorado
“High regards for qualities no matter where the restaurant would be.”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

It would be easy to say that this place is the best restaurant to find in Southern Virginia where quality restaurants are sparse serving a small population. It would not be insulting the owners to write this but in fact, I could imagine this establishment in one of the hipster side of Portland - OR, in in Carmel - CA or in many cities proposing a large choice of quality restaurants competing at a high level.
I felt food was exceptional and my references are at the level of 3 Michelin stars in France and Belgium. Ambiance was appeasing, even with a room full of customers.
The service was very friendly, although I sometime wish for serving personnel to know a little more (actually a lot more) about what the kitchen is concocting. I am still looking at comparing with the highest standard where waitresses and waiters are professionally trained at school.
Although I have seen a good list of wine, I didn't felt my choice to be the best with a too young wine needing to mature.
Anyway, always something to critic and hopefully to help for improvements.
This is said, I would go back often if I was living in the region and would have no hesitation to recommend the place to anyone living in the area or passing by for a visit.

• Visited July 2013
10 Thank afc77
Norlina, North Carolina
“AWESOME!”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Loved everything about Bistro 1888. I'm on a strict gluten free diet and they have lots to choose from. It's just a perfect place. Food atmosphere, everything.

Visited February 2013
11 Thank amy m
Winston Salem, North Carolina
“I love this place”
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Three visits - it's the only decent restaurant north of Roxboro for who knows how many miles…but that's not the only reason I like it so much. Food is great, drinks too, and the deserts are fantastic. I've made reservations, but have also scored a couple of seats at the bar - it gets crowded, right from the time they open. Highly recommended.

• Visited June 2013
7 Thank Brian M
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Save Room for Dessert!”
Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

We always celebrate my birthday here! From the martinis to the shrimp or crab cakes you will be pleased! Other favorites include the pork loin and steak. Save room for dessert! You must try the chocolate decadence! I cannot bring myself to share this with anyone! The atmosphere is relaxed yet provides a personal fine dining experience!

Visited February 2013