“WOW!”
Review of Bistro 1888

Bistro 1888
Reserve with OpenTable
Bistro 1888 is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 49 Restaurants in South Boston
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 27, 2013

They let us have a private dining area for our large party and the food was fantastic! The chef has won several awards and I can see why. My pasta was supurb and everyone enjoyed their meal.

7  Thank SharonBrown44
There are newer reviews for Bistro 1888

Reviewed May 6, 2013

We have eaten at the Bistro several times now. Food is consistently Excellent. Casual dress ok, but kind of upscale at least for South Boston Va. Prices are very fair. We are from the city so we are used to higher prices for what I would consider "fine dining". We have tried several things on the menu and have not been disappointed yet. Great food

5  Thank CKane1
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Surprisingly good for a small town. I had a filet which was cooked perfectly and served with asparagus and potato croquette. Asparagus very good but croquette was forgettable. Superb tomato soup. An excellent local wine. I loved it.

5  Thank gstrange8
Reviewed March 30, 2013

We finished our hike at Staunton River State Park later than planned. We didn't want to wait until we got home to eat dinner, but we certainly didn't want to eat at any of the fast food places we passed on our way to the park! So I fired up the Trip Advisor app on my phone and at the top of the list was Bistro 1888 in South Boston. The menu look good, so we took a chance on getting in without a reservation on Saturday night.

We got a table at the bar and had an amazing dinner. After a salad and beer, we had the portobello filet and he chicken angel hair. The spicing was good, the flavors were interesting and well matched. The service was quite good. And we topped it all off with the chocolate decadence dessert. All for just under $50 before tip (we did split one beer, salad, and dessert). Great food at a very reasonable price. We're definitely going back, but we'll know to make a reservation next time.

Thanks Trip Advisor for pointing us to a restaurant we never would have found or even thought to look for!

7  Thank G1r2e3g4
Reviewed February 5, 2013 via mobile

The food and the service here are always consistently good. I go several times a year since they opened. Good variety of wine by the glass and the bar stocks some interesting scotches. Favorite appetizers are seared tuna, goat cheese and avocado quesadilla and the fried oysters. I usually get what ever the seafood special is-rockfish this past weekend was delicious. Friends of mine get the filet mignon every time and it's always excellent. Their creme brulee is very good. I have noticed the last few times I've been in there that the local crowd seems very curious about visitors from outside the area. It felt like everyone dining and drinking near the front door stopped and stared when we entered. The hostess seems unsure about how friendly to be to non-regulars as well. She warmed up a degree when I told her we had reservations. I had heard from previous drop ins that the restaurant holds tables for regulars even if they dont have a reservation. Our waitress was very good AND friendly so she hadn't gotten the memo apparently. Definitely worthwhile, just be sure you have a reservation.

2  Thank CASBDanVegas