“Thanks Trip Advisor!”
Review of Bistro 1888

Bistro 1888
Reserve with OpenTable
Bistro 1888 is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 48 Restaurants in South Boston
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“Thanks Trip Advisor!”
Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

We finished our hike at Staunton River State Park later than planned. We didn't want to wait until we got home to eat dinner, but we certainly didn't want to eat at any of the fast food places we passed on our way to the park! So I fired up the Trip Advisor app on my phone and at the top of the list was Bistro 1888 in South Boston. The menu look good, so we took a chance on getting in without a reservation on Saturday night.

We got a table at the bar and had an amazing dinner. After a salad and beer, we had the portobello filet and he chicken angel hair. The spicing was good, the flavors were interesting and well matched. The service was quite good. And we topped it all off with the chocolate decadence dessert. All for just under $50 before tip (we did split one beer, salad, and dessert). Great food at a very reasonable price. We're definitely going back, but we'll know to make a reservation next time.

Thanks Trip Advisor for pointing us to a restaurant we never would have found or even thought to look for!

7 Thank G1r2e3g4

“Elegant local dining - reservation required”
Reviewed February 5, 2013 via mobile

The food and the service here are always consistently good. I go several times a year since they opened. Good variety of wine by the glass and the bar stocks some interesting scotches. Favorite appetizers are seared tuna, goat cheese and avocado quesadilla and the fried oysters. I usually get what ever the seafood special is-rockfish this past weekend was delicious. Friends of mine get the filet mignon every time and it's always excellent. Their creme brulee is very good. I have noticed the last few times I've been in there that the local crowd seems very curious about visitors from outside the area. It felt like everyone dining and drinking near the front door stopped and stared when we entered. The hostess seems unsure about how friendly to be to non-regulars as well. She warmed up a degree when I told her we had reservations. I had heard from previous drop ins that the restaurant holds tables for regulars even if they dont have a reservation. Our waitress was very good AND friendly so she hadn't gotten the memo apparently. Definitely worthwhile, just be sure you have a reservation.

2 Thank CASBDanVegas
Hickory
“Gleaming jewel in a small town!!!”
Reviewed February 1, 2013 via mobile

Wow! What a great restaurant. We had the pleasure of eating at this wonderful restaurant on the way to a funeral. We arrived at 8 pm and the place was packed. Luckily they were able to sit our party of 8 in a private back room. The hostess was very accommodating. The food was excellent. We had wonderful calamari and mushroom tempura as an appetizer. Both were perfect. I had a black angus ribeye served with thin onion rings which was quite good. The other highlight was a pork tenderloin which was beautifully presented and tasted even better. We finished up with cream brûlée which was as good as any I've had. We were blown away to find such a wonderful restaurant in such a small town. If you are in the area and looking for good food this is your place!!

6 Thank wallyk2334
Virginia
“Like a long lost friend”
Reviewed December 20, 2012

I have been to this restaurant about 6 times now and I can't wait to go back! This is definitely one of my favorite restaurants in southside Virginia, and maybe in Virginia period.

The service is impeccable, the selections are very creative and also prepared to perfection. If you're anywhere near South Boston or driving through on US-58, you MUST get dinner here.

It's a small town so reservations are seldom needed.

• Visited December 2012
4 Thank Don M
Roxboro, North Carolina
“A+ Dining”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

The Bistro 1888 is superb. Everything on the menu is excellent. They serve only grass fed beef and fresh veggies. Great beers and excellent wines. It is truly a dining experience. You won't be disappointed.

• Visited December 2012