“Visit at Smithfield Station”
Review of Smithfield Station

Smithfield Station
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Smithfield
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 11, 2014

My wife and I recently stayed at the Smithfield Station and our experience was very pleasant. The staff was very friendly, our room was very clean, and the view of the river from our balcony was beautiful. The chocolate covered strawberries that were provided by the Station were very delicious. The food at the Station restaurant is very good and the staff very pleasant. I highly recommended staying at the Smithfield Station when visiting Smithfield Virginia.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
rpack76, Guest Relations Manager at Smithfield Station, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2014

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us. Our staff is dedicated to making you feel at home. It is wonderful to get feedback from our guests letting us know that we succeeded in making your stay perfect. We look forward to seeing you again very soon.

There are newer reviews for Smithfield Station

Reviewed March 11, 2014

We were so very pleased with our room, the service, the food, the location, the view everything was just wonderful and I highly recommend Smithfield Station. They have a quaint little town to walk thorugh and if you ahve extra time The Williamsburg Winery is a short ferry ride away and even Virginia Beach is only an hour so it makes for a nice day trip. Don't be afraid to go in the off season-we went in January and had a grand time.

Room Tip: We had room 2919, it had wonderful decor and furnishings with a balcony that overlooked the marina a...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank NanaToGage

Sounds like you had a great time. We thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us. It is great to know that you enjoyed your journeys around town and beyond. Our convenient location allows for exploring many other areas. We thank you for your visit and appreciate your kind comments about our hotel and restaurant..

Reviewed February 28, 2014

Fun-loving, hard working, family oriented folks that have a passion for hospitality. That’s how I would describe the Pack family and their staff at Smithfield Station. You cannot fake passion and you can’t fake caring. These folks are the genuine article and I am so glad I chose this hotel for my first vacation in years.

The staff was amazing and made me feel right at home all four nights I stayed there. I suppose I could have gone elsewhere to hang out, have dinner and grab drinks each night but I didn’t see the point since the hotel had a great bar/restaurant on site and everyone was so friendly. I’d like to throw a special shout-out to Pat, Captain Ron, Randy, Brian and Sue! They all took great care of me and I couldn’t have had a better time!! I ate dinner at the hotel’s restaurant each night and tried about a dozen things throughout the week. I was always impressed, from the flounder to eh mac’n’cheese dinner it was all amazing. The hotel provides breakfast each morning and I can describe it as…”Expanded Continental?” It’s your regular complimentary continental breakfast but Sue is there every morning to handcraft omelets, pancakes and/or waffles. Very Good way to start the day.

My room was immaculate upon arrival and the housekeeping staff did a great job cleaning it each day. It came with a spacious balcony that included chairs and a view overlooking the marina and river. While it was cold (January), I couldn’t resist walking out onto my balcony each morning to watch the sun rise. I’ve included a picture of the view from my room. The bed was incredibly comfortable and I was asleep almost immediately after laying down each night. The flat screen TV was huge and had more channels (DirecTV) than I’ve ever had in a hotel. I only channel surfed at night before bedtime but enjoyed the options.

I learned about BOB Fest after I arrived and was fortunate enough to snag one of the few remaining tickets. I had no idea what to expect but it was SO much fun! They had a band called the Deloreans that did 80’s covers and they were INTO IT y’all! I think it was supposed to be a food festival that turned into a music festival and I can’t say enough good things. From the Bloody Mary’s to the Oysters, BBQ, Brunswick Stew and Beer, it had everything a good festival needs. It was clearly well thought out, planned and executed (which I can’t say about every first-time festival I’ve attended).

Again, thank you to everyone at Smithfield Station for making my much-needed break a memorable one and I look forward to seeing y’all the next time I’m in the area!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed February 25, 2014

We attended the BBQ ,Oyster and Brunswick Stew festival held across the street from the Smithfield Station. It was a great event even though it was bitter cold that day. It was nice to get away in the middle of winter and have a festival to attend. We're looking forward to going again and bringing a group of friends next year.
When we checked in we quickly arrived to a fantastic room with a beautiful view of the water and boats. There was a beautiful gift basket in the room filled with all sorts of goodies especially for shucking oysters at the festival. We enjoyed the cozy fire and the chocolate strawberries sent to our room later that day. The room was clean and well decorated.
We enjoyed dinner in a town near by. We knew we were going to have brunch at the hotel restaurant so we wanted to go off the property for dinner. Later we had drinks at the bar in the hotel which was very comfortable and everyone seemed friendly. Sunday morning we had a fabulous brunch at the hotel restaurant. They offered everything you can imagine from waffles, to your own personalized omelets and my favorite was the sausage and gravy. I've never had a brunch for that price that offered so much variety.
We love going to Smithfield because it's only a short trip from Richmond but feels like your a million miles from home. No matter how the weather is the scenery is beautiful. The town is quaint and the people are inviting. We also love being able to take the ferry across to Jamestown which is only a twenty minute drive from the hotel. We were able to do a little shopping at the outlet on our way back to Richmond.
Smithfield Station is definitely worth a little weekend getaway.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your comments regarding your experience at Smithfield Station. We are so glad you enjoyed the BOB Festival. This was the first year for that festival and from all reports it was a huge success. We are happy that you stayed with us and enjoyed your get away weekend. We hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed February 24, 2014

Stayed over night at Smithfield Station after leaving a wedding at Smithfield Center. 15 rooms were reserved by wedding attendees between the 2nd and 3rd floors. We were told that there would be no problem gathering in the sitting area(s) after the wedding and socializing. However, a little over an hour after we left the wedding, we were told that we were disturbing others on the floor and asked to move into our rooms. That was a very big disappointment especially after paying a steep price to stay overnight.

The morning breakfast was very enjoyable. The Hatteras Clam chowder was not even luke warm and had to be returned and reheated. After that it was very good.

As far as the room we were in, it was clean and the 2 beds were very comfortable. We had a beautiful view of the Pagan River inlet from our window.

Unless it was for another special event, I would stay the night at the Hampton Inn instead, It is only a few miles away and is half the price and clean with comfortable beds.

Room Tip: Unless it was for another special event, I would stay the night at the Hampton Inn instead, It is o...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 18, 2014

Found a deal at this property through Travelzoo and made reservations for the long weekend in February. Good sized rooms, nicely decorated, loved having the in-room Starbucks coffee and the faux fireplace was a nice touch too ! I cannot say enough as to how CLEAN everything was in our room. A pleasant and quiet stay for the weekend and nice Sunday brunch at the restaurant with good food and great service. Would definitely recommend Smithfield Station and the town of Smithfield as a wonderful getaway.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your wonderful comments regarding your stay at Smithfield Station. Our dedicated staff takes pride in making every guest experience delightful. We appreciate your feedback and are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed February 15, 2014

We stayed at Smithfield station for valentines weekend. We had one of the poolside cabins right in front of the water. It was a beautiful view and very cozy inside. The bathroom was large and the full size fridge and kitchen area was convenient.

Our only complaint was the food at the restaurant. The prices were very high considering the quality of the food. For a place that charges $30 for a piece of salmon, I was surprised to see the hostess wearing flip flops! The cheese on my salad tasted like refrigerator, the the ribs I got tasted very old. Like they had been prepared a day or two before and reheated. I was even curious if they are prepared fresh at all on premises or purchased pre-cooked and sauce is thrown on before serving?? My meal ended up being comp'ed and the bill was still $40. Needless to say, we avoided the restaurant for the remainder of our time there.
Smithfield is very small and it's very slim pickings for very nice dining. It's too bad the restaurant food quality is not worth the cost.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ladiv3568

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at Smithfield Station. My family and I value your feedback and use constructive criticism to improve the guest experience because our goal is that every guest is nothing less than delighted. The items you cited that have opportunities for improvement have been shared with our team and will be appropriately addressed.
On behalf of my family and our dedicated staff, thank you again for your visit and your feedback, and we look forward to welcoming you back to Smithfield Station soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Smithfield
Hampton Inn & Suites Smithfield
Wedmore Place
#16 of 73 in Williamsburg
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites, Williamsburg-Historic Gateway
Woodlands Hotel & Suites - Colonial Williamsburg

Been to Smithfield Station? Share your experiences!