“Already trying to figure out when I can come back.”
Review of Smithfield Station

Smithfield Station
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Smithfield
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed August 10, 2012 via mobile

I picked this hotel pretty much at random from a list of Groupon offers, and am very happy that I went with that impulse. I found Smithfield itself to be charming and laid back, and the hotel matches that vibe well. My room on the third floor of the Lodge was the perfect size, the bed was huge and comfortable, and even the bathroom passed inspection (what can i say, I'm a hotel bathroom snob!). Everyone I encountered, from the front desk to the on-site restaurant, was friendly and helpful - and since I was traveling solo, that was much appreciated. The location worked well for me - you can easily walk to the historic downtown district, or drive to Williamsburg or Norfolk in about an hour.

My only minor complaint was that there was no fitness center, but that was rendered pretty much moot by the fact that an access ramp to the walking trails of Windsor Castle Park is literally right across the street.

I definitely hope to return, although I think I will try for a week earlier or later in the year - the humidity in this area is intense!

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Li2beth
rpack76, Owner at Smithfield Station, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2012

Thanks for the great review! Really glad you were able to enjoy yourself and our charming town. Interesting point about the fitness room, as we are hoping to build one this fall. Follow our facebook page for details on how that is coming along. Hope to see you soon.

Reviewed August 6, 2012

Just to let everyone know that they keep deleting bad reviews!
We went here for our 20th Anniversary and they gave away our room. We reserved a King Size room, private balcony and water front. Let's just say we got none of it. They told us that they were full and gave our room away. It was just awful. I would never ever recommend this place to anyone. Traveler be ware

Room Tip: Pick another place
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kristina S
rpack76, Owner at Smithfield Station, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to give a review of our property. There are a few things I need to clarify however. We never take down any reviews, ever. It is also trip advisor policy that all reviews stay on the site good and bad. Our hotel was not full for your stay either. The room you had has recently been remodeled (April 2011) including all new furniture, mattresses, drapes, carpeting etc. It was on the corner of the building overlooking the marina and the Park at Windsor Castle. The private balcony is12 ft wide and has two Adirondack chairs and a small beverage table. Granted, the bed is a queen size as opposed to the King you requested. If any mistake was made, that would be the only one. I hope you read this response and are able to reconsider Smithfield Station as one of the premier destination spots on the Chesapeake Bay and all of Virginia. As I have stated many times before, it is our desire that no guest leave us less than completely satisfied. If you would like the chance to "re-do" your stay, I would be happy to take care of that for you. Please reach out to me here at the Hotel and I will be happy to make accommodations for you that you are sure to appreciate. As always, we appreciate your business and look forward to the opportunity to serve you again.

Yours in Hospitality,

Reviewed August 6, 2012

I've been in the hotel industry for over 20 years and never had anything happen to me quite like this. We wanted a short getaway for our 20 year anniversary and found this online. We made our reservations well in advance and arrived around 12:30PM. We knew that our room wouldn't be ready, but wanted to leave a bottle of wine with them so it didn't sit our car all day. When we came back to the Inn at 5:30 we were given a room that we didn't reserve. We asked about the king bed room with the waterfront view and were told that they didn't have a king bed and since we could technically see the lighthouse that it was considered waterfront. The fact is that it faced the main road and all you could hear were the cars going by. The balcony was a common area and the previous people left glasses, linens, and cigarette butts all over. Housekeeping obviously hadn't been out there for weeks since it was so filthy! We ended up checking out since the only thing they could offer us was a 15% discount. We were told that the manager would call us and he never did. I posted on their Facebook page and they deleted my post, I figured this might be the best way to get the word out. Beware of what you reserve with this place!!!

Room Tip: Be very careful about the room your choose if booking on line! Call and confirm if you can!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Tim S
rpack76, Owner at Smithfield Station, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to give a review of our property. As I wrote in a previous review to whom I presume is your wife, there are a few things I need to clarify. We never take down any reviews, ever. We do monitor our facebook page however and if we feel a review is unfair, as in this case we will remove it. Afterall, it is a huge marketing tool for us. It is also trip advisor policy that all reviews stay on trip advisor good and bad - please read our reviews and you will see that the majority are exremely positive. Our hotel was not full for your stay either. The room you had has recently been remodeled (April 2011) including all new furniture, mattresses, drapes, carpeting etc. It was on the corner of the building overlooking the marina and the Park at Windsor Castle. The private balcony is12 ft wide and has two Adirondack chairs and a small beverage table. It is a private balcony. You may have thought it was a public space becuase of its large size. Granted, the bed is a queen size as opposed to the King you requested. If any mistake was made, that would be the only one. I hope you read this response and are able to reconsider Smithfield Station as one of the premier destination spots on the Chesapeake Bay and all of Virginia. As I have stated many times before, it is our desire that no guest leave us less than completely satisfied. If you would like the chance to "re-do" your stay, I would be happy to take care of that for you. Please reach out to me here at the Hotel and I will be happy to make accommodations for you that you are sure to appreciate. As always, we appreciate your business and look forward to the opportunity to serve you again

Reviewed July 23, 2012

We bought the Groupon for this hotel and, after having to reschedule our reservations several times (they were gracious about it each time!), we finally managed to make the trip to Smithfield. We arrived after midnight and were checked in by a very pleasant attendant. The room was large, tastefully decorated, had a great view of the winding river and marina, and a big comfy bed. Great bathroom with a large tile shower. Loved the champagne and choc dipped strawberries! Breakfast in the restaurant overlooking the marina was better than most. We drove to VA beach for the day. Wish we'd spent Saturday exploring Smithfield because everything was closed on Sunday, but we're looking forward to coming back to Smithfield Station. This was the best Groupon experience we've every had.

Room Tip: Scored only average on location since it was a three+ hour drive from our home in NC. We didn't...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
rpack76, Owner at Smithfield Station, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2012

Best groupon experience you have ever had! That is great. We always strive to be the best! Thanks so much for sharing your review with us and we look forward to having you back!

See you soon!

Reviewed July 23, 2012

What a relaxing overnight getaway. Room was super clean. Close to home but yet far away. Upon check in we were upgraded to a mini-suite because someone had requested to stay another night in the room we were suppose to have. We were also given a $40.00 gift card to use at the Restaurant. Strawberries and champagne were in the fridge waiting. Can't wait to go back again.

Room Tip: All rooms are great in the "Lodge" where we stayed. All Face the water and some have balco...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
rpack76, Owner at Smithfield Station, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2012

So glad you were able to enjoy your stay! We are close enough to most places in Virginia that you feel you have gone somewhere, but haven't traveled forever to get there! Hope to see you back soon and thanks for the great review!

Reviewed July 21, 2012

Saw this hotel in a groupon offering. Couldn't resist the bargain. We combined it with a trip to Chincoteague and had fun seeing historic places nearby. Wonderful room with super comfortable beds. Did not want to leave that lovely room. The pool is small but since we had it all to ourselves for a pre dinner swim we didn't mind at all. The adjoining restaurant was great - so nice just to walk over from your deluxe room to a quality restaurant and not have to drive anywhere! The breakfast the next morning was a lovely surprise - a real sweetheart of a waitress made us bacon and eggs with true southern hospitality.

Room Tip: If you get a groupon coupon take a deluxe room in the new part of the hotel. Not sure about the hote...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Looks like our groupon found its target audience! Really happy that you were able to enjoy our establishment and all this lovely town offers. Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed July 10, 2012

My husband and I were given a groupon coupon to stay at the Smithfield Station. We frequent the town of Smithfield due to it's uniqueness and down to earth nature. We also love the water. Our stay at Smithfield Station was our first time. We had excellent service even from the booking of the room (very professional and kind - rare these days), a clean room, check in, everything just wonderful. We ate in the restaurant twice and each time had a GREAT experience. Make sure you walk along Main Street and go to the Visitor's Center! Local artist have workshops in there, and the folks inside are so nice! Don't miss the brunch at Smithfield Station on Sundays! Paula will make you an egg omelete to your taste and includes crab meat and shrimp if you like. My husband and I would share meals and it was enough. Also Smithfield Inn has a wonderful little lounge for a nice sandwhich. We stayed in a cottage so our privacy was awesome! The town of Smithfield is also fun to walk around and explore! ENJOY! We hope to go back soon.

Room Tip: Try to stay in one of the cottages - a separate little building if you can.....
1  Thank ParishAnna
Management response:Responded July 14, 2012

Of course you can move here! We are delighted that you experienced the great nature that makes this town so wonderful! Thanks for sharing your experience and we look forward to a return visit!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Smithfield
Hampton Inn & Suites Smithfield
Kingsmill Resort
Kingsmill Resort
#6 of 73 in Williamsburg
The Smithfield Inn Bed and Breakfast, Restaurant and Tavern

Been to Smithfield Station? Share your experiences!