“Best we have had in a long time.”
Review of Smithfield Inn

Smithfield Inn
Ranked #4 of 37 Restaurants in Smithfield
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Reviewed April 20, 2013

My wife and I made reservations at the Smithfield Inn based on reviews seen on Trip-advisor and were not disappointed. It was a great meal and my wife said it was the best she crab soup she has had and her scallops were take home wonderful. My fish and chips (haddock) was excellent. We certainly would go back when in Smithfield again.

Reviewed March 26, 2013

We are so happy that we stopped to have lunch in Smithfield. One of the gallery owners recommended that we have lunch here and we always like to eat where the locals do. We actually had lunch in the pub which was comfortable and relaxing. Our server was great - very hospitable and food was really good. The Brunswick Stew, Crab Soup and ham biscuits - all a must try. I would highly recommend this restaurant and would love to go back and stay at the Inn.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

Smithfield inn has been a positive experience for me and my wife. We went their on our anniversary and the oysters were cooked to perfection. The waitstaff were very professional and kept us satisfied. I recommend anybody to the restaurant in smithfield and experience what me and my wife have. I ordered the oysters and my wife had the lobtser with freshly made appetizer.

Reviewed February 8, 2013

The other night the wine queen and I visited the Inn for the first time in quite a while. Our reservation was for the peak dining hour, and indeed needed that night. I should note up front that this week, several restaurants in the Smithfield market are celebrating a taste of Smithfield,so to speak, and are offering $20 special dinners for those who wish to take that route. The Inn was featuring a three course affair which consisted of a choice of appetiser, entree and a mousse for dessert. We both chose the she crab soup to begin with. The cup of soup was tasty, had ample crab meat and just a tad of crab shell. But lets face it, even my mother can't pick crabmeat perfectly. It was fine.

For the entree, we opted out of the pasta based seafood choices and selected the filet mignon medallions, thinly sliced but perfectly cooked ... ala on a grill count to two , flip, count to two and off the grill. There is no other way they could have been cooked right. That's why we were not asked how we wanted the meat prepared. There was no choice, and I do mean it was good.

The medallions were blanketing a bet of grilled veggies, seasoned generously. There was no doubt that garlic was involved, but I enjoyed it anyway, as did the queen.

After the main course, they brought a tiny dish with the mousse, chocolate, with a nice dollop of whipped cream on top. I could have eaten a dessert 10 times that big as the meal was not overly filling ... but it was only $20 ... and I don't need to plump up anymore.

Needless to say, we aided the digestion process with a $25 bottle of Pinot Grigio.

Prior to settling on the celebration special (which ends on Feb 8 by the way) I took a look at the (regular?) menu they presented to us upon seating. It seemed to be a scaled down version of prior menus I've seen a the inn. Plenty of appetisers, some sandwiches, and on the last page, some entrees I'd hope to see sooner than later. But I recognize that it's not a great time to be in the restaurant business, even if you are the Inn.

Our seating was a table just as one enters the main dining room. It's not the most comfortable place to be. But I sat at the side of the table that gave me a clear view of the excellent painting of General Robert E Lee in the adjacent hallway. Quite comforting for this old southern boy.

We were there on a Wednesday evening. They feature a wings night for folks in the bar (we were close!) and it seemed to draw a crowd. I've heard the wings are large and good. I was somewhat amazed at the apparent average age of the bar patrons that night. I think it was 70's night at the Inn. Chuckle! Well, maybe 60's. But they were having fun.

Reviewed February 5, 2013

Smithfield / Isle of Wight Restaurant Week is the perfect occasion to revisit an old friend. The Smithfield Inn certainly is well maintained and worth the visit to soak in the historic atmosphere. The food is excellent also. Our lunch included appetizer, entree and dessert. We enjoyed the ham rolls as appetizers. My wife had the yeast roll version while I chose the sweet potatoe roll. My baked chicken penne in red sauce was delicious and her chicken in angel hair with Alfredo sauce was also good. The dishes were well seasoned and included more chicken than you would expect in such dishes. The chocolate mousse was rich and tasty. The old friend is certainly worth the visit.

Been to Smithfield Inn? Share your experiences!