“Mgt. Change and Good Cooks”
Review of The Grille - CLOSED

The Grille
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 22, 2014

A group of us went last Friday night and ate at The Grille, and the food was very good. I had the Flounder/ cole slaw and baked potato, the others had Prime Rib and sides and also commented that theirs was very tasty.
Give The Grille a try if you have been there or if you have not, you will find alot of changes.
Great service also !!!!

Reviewed March 17, 2014

We found this restaurant recommended when driving through Smithfield to do some shopping and figured we'd give it a go. The room we sat in was kind of fun, apparently a renovated pool room, with nice old wooden floors and that "Grandma's house" smell. The tables were nothing special and the chairs looked horribly uncomfortable but ended up being okay... which is a good thing.

We arrived near noon and there was absolutely nobody in the parking lot, but we decided to try it anyway. As we got out of the car people literally began to pour in by the carload, so we were relieved to see others actually coming to eat along with us. Unfortunately they all headed straight to the bar, which is probably what we should have done. There was three of us and a baby. We ordered calamari to start, a hamburger, a fish filet sandwich, a brisket sandwich, and a hot dog for the baby.

The calamari, an odd thing to order for a place like this I know, was purported to be hand cleaned in house. This gave us hope that they would be good, but they weren't. They did seem hand cleaned and even had tentacles, something you don't get often anymore, but they were overbreaded and overcooked. They may as well have been fries for all they tasted of calamari. The side of dipping sauce was what I can only describe as cocktail sauce gelatin.

So fast forward thirty minutes, the inordinate amount of time we waited for our food with a hungry baby, and here come our meals. The hamburger, which was supposed to be this amazing thing on focaccia bread, was entirely overdone and served on a stale bun... the sort you buy at the grocery store in the cheapest brand possible. The fish was served on the same bread with sweet tartar sauce... a bit greasy but the best meal we were served. The hot dog was pale, boiled, and put on a stale bun with nothing on it.

Now, I saved the best for last. My meal was the brisket sandwich, which the menu promised to be brisket piled generously on a roll. I got the same stale bun garnished with a single, limp shred of iceberg lettuce, the near butt end of a tomato, and two slices of purple onion. The generous brisket? It was one piece of brisket sliced in half and literally 40% of it was really fatt unrendered fat. For some reason there was a tiny smear of mustard on it that looked like the person dressing the sandwich just happened to have mustard on their hands and it transferred to my meal. I basically had a BLT where the B was barbecue sauce. It was disgusting.

The price for all of this? $55 which is outrageous for what we got. Add to that the handcut fries which were okay, but really limp, and I can see why people just patronize the bar area. Do yourself a favor and go somewhere else. Even fast food would be a better experience than this. We actually had to go by McDonalds an hour later because we were still hungry.

2  Thank M W
Reviewed March 8, 2014

My husband and I used to love the Grille. It does have good food, but service was bad the last two times we went to eat at this restaurant. The last time, it took 40 minutes before my simple grilled cheese sandwich and soup came to my table. My friend and I both ordered this. Our sandwich was nearly cold and the soup was only warm. We had to ask for our check and the place was not busy either. We were only asked once if we were okay.........terrible....and I tip 20%......we both gave a dollar and left. Dirty floors......yuck!!

Reviewed February 26, 2014

I had grown weary of the Grille over the past year or so. Apparently, due to the low patronage in the dining room, so had others. Recently, I had heard that there is a new head guy in the kitchen. I believe it. The steaks are more tender. Before, an angus ribeye was as tough as a regular cow. Now, I find it more tender, and nicely seasoned during the cooking process. And usually cooked to our liking, a welcome change.

Some sides at the Grille left something to be desired. Green beans and lima beans for example seemed almost as if they had come right out of a can. Not much flavor. Now, they are nicely seasoned and piping hot.

Last night we dropped by for sandwiches. I had the pulled pork BBQ. And a side of fries. The fries were good ... and hot ... and sooooo good. I ate all of them before touching my BBQ.

Here's the rub, if there was one. There is not as much BBQ on the bun as there used to be. But there was a lot of slaw. Glad I did not order slaw as my side. But, as one who does not typically care for slaw at all, this was ... very ... good. I ate it off the bun with my fork ... as if it was another side (yes, that much), then devoured the sandwich.

One of these days, I'm going to try the wings.

If you have not been there lately, it may be a good time to give it another try. We were the only people in the main dining room ... on a Tuesday night.

Reviewed January 22, 2014

This photo is not the correct photo for the place. This picture is actually a photo of The Taste of Smithfield in downtown Smithfield. This main image for The Grille needs to be changed.