“Bar and Dining”

Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Smithfield, Virginia
“Bar and Dining”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Part of the place is a dining room with mural on wall of the String. Lots of thunderbird car pics on wall as this used to be called Thunderbird Grill. The other half is a bar. That side was busy. We have gone there several times and have enjoyed the food. Window sills could be cleaner. Service is fine. Prices are fine. Lots of food for the price.

Visited September 2012

Smithfield, VA
“Prime Prime Rib”
Reviewed September 18, 2012

We dine there frequently for dinner, almost never for lunch. That we keep coming back says something regardless of what else one may wish to infer from this review. One of the draws for us at "The Grille" is the Friday night prime rib. Over the years, we have noted that it has varied from so-so to very good, and you can't predict when it will be what. Usually, it's at least good. But last Friday, I was served the most perfectly slow roasted prime rib I've had ... perhaps anywhere. Tender beyond imagination. Seasoned, but not overly so. I like mine between med. and med. rare. To have a chance of getting that, I order medium rare and let it go at that. It is what it is when it comes out of the oven. That's life. Otherwise, I fear it may be med. well or ... worse. But it's usually quite good.

The Grille seems to focus on some of its smoked meat sandwiches and entrees. We've found them to be quite good. They also have a few seafood dishes, fried shrimp, for example. We've not tried many soups as of late, but the original BP Grill had some good ones. Monday evening, the queen wanted to do a quick dinner somewhere other than home, and we did the Grille yet again. I had a pretty good grilled tuna sandwich with a side of good french fries ... that could have been cooked just a bit more. The queen had their triple salad plate ... ample portions of tuna salad, chicken salad and very good potato salad, with some sliced tomatoes and sliced boiled egg on the side. She eagerly ate half of it and took the rest to work today for lunch. I've always found that triple salad plate to be plenty, and plenty good.

The Grille often has dinner specials, such as surf and turf (steak and shrimp). Each week night is usually a different and predictable special. Monday night they have 50 cent wings ... which I regret I've not tried yet.

They have a decent wine and beer selection, and a full bar, complete with lady bartender. I've grown fond of a can of Lime-a-Rita over ice as of late. And the price is right.

Like many restaurants, the waitstaff rounds out the service level. They will make you or break you. We find that the Grille has nice people waiting tables, but they sometimes seem understaffed ... and other times, we'll find that there is one waitress and a lot of customers. Hard to predict traffic in the restaurant business. But the people in the kitchen can cook up a good meal at a decent price, almost every time.

You can dine in the main dining room, in the dining room adjacent to the bar. I don't know if you can dine in the pool room or not. It, thankfully, has a closed door between it and the bar.

All in all, we approve of The Grille and what it has to offer. Worth a visit.

• Visited September 2012
Chesapeake, VA
“Under new name and is now "The Grill"”
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Stopped by here Sunday for lunch. I guess it's more of a country type bar with pool tables, etc., but they have a dining room with a buffet. The buffet offered an excellent tasting of good old southern foods, including country ham biscuits (home made), fried chicken, beef brisket, collards, barbecue, butter beans, salad and so forth. Everything was fresh and the chicken was crisp and moist. I think the buffet was $11.95. The service was great and the wait staff stopped by frequently to fill our drinks and to make sure we were satisfied. Definitely a place to revisit in the future. The do have a regular menu and the listed sandwiches looked good and the prices reasonable.

• Visited August 2012
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“under new name- "Thunderbird bar and grill"”
Reviewed January 16, 2011

This place is now called the Thunderbird Bar and Grill. Sadly the place has gone way down hill and the food is mediocre at best. I had the crab cake dinner but the filler was so overpowering that you could barely taste any crab. My daughter ordered the salmon filet that resembled a frozen Mrs Paul's entree and it was very dry and flavorless. The entire meal was quite disappointing as was the service.

• Visited January 2011