“Great Lunch Place”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed August 9, 2013

After a great trip to architectural wonder Bacon's Castle a fifteen minute drive into Smithfield is rewarded by a lunch at the Gourmet Bakery and Café. Friendly service yielded, perhaps, the best fried chicken wrap I've ever eaten along with far-to-many delicious homemade French fries. The desserts looked incredible (homemade bread pudding) but after the wrap and fries there was no room left! Highly recommended.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

We were surprised to have so many good choices on the lunch menu which included soups, salads, cold and hot sandwiches, as well as a few entrees. I had a tuna wrap with rice and pickled radishes that was delicious and flavorful. My husband had a fried catfish sandwich with a caeser ginger sauce and with the homemade bread cooked at the bakery. He enjoyed his sandwich that was cooked just right. The restaurant had 2 sides and we appreciated being placed on the opposite side of a very noisy table.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

Had some lunch here while visiting Smithfield and it was very good. I ordered a Southwest Chicken Wrap which was one of their specials that day and fries as well as some Brunswick Stew. Everything tasted wonderful. The service was a little slow but the waitress was nice and we weren't in any rush.

Reviewed April 20, 2013

Have you ever heard of a bakery that doesn't serve doughnuts? This one doesn't, it should be called a muffin store. The coffee was watery and not tasty. On the plus side, my apple turnover was very good

Reviewed April 15, 2013

I will be honest, considering this a "Gourmet Bakery and Cafe" is quite the stretch in my opinion. It is an old building which is not a problem at all but the condition of the interior is far from being considered classy and I will use the term clean with a great degree of reservation.

When we walked in we waited to be seated and were instructed by the one waitress just to sit wherever we wished. The large refrigerator with glass doors was nearly empty and the rack with the baked goods was so-so. In short, I was not knocked off my feet by the food available or the atmosphere. The cherry pie I had was just fine but at $3.99 that was expected. My date had a much larger piece of cake that was more than enough for two and cost $6.99. Add two small glasses of milk along with tip and we were right at $20.

Will we return again? Maybe, maybe not. Pickings are slim in the Smithfield area when it comes to desserts but there are much better places within driving distance for the same amount of money.