“Meh, not the most impressive "Gourmet Bakery and Cafe"”

Smithfield Gourmet Bakery and Cafe
Ranked #5 of 38 Restaurants in Smithfield
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed April 15, 2013

I will be honest, considering this a "Gourmet Bakery and Cafe" is quite the stretch in my opinion. It is an old building which is not a problem at all but the condition of the interior is far from being considered classy and I will use the term clean with a great degree of reservation.

When we walked in we waited to be seated and were instructed by the one waitress just to sit wherever we wished. The large refrigerator with glass doors was nearly empty and the rack with the baked goods was so-so. In short, I was not knocked off my feet by the food available or the atmosphere. The cherry pie I had was just fine but at $3.99 that was expected. My date had a much larger piece of cake that was more than enough for two and cost $6.99. Add two small glasses of milk along with tip and we were right at $20.

Will we return again? Maybe, maybe not. Pickings are slim in the Smithfield area when it comes to desserts but there are much better places within driving distance for the same amount of money.

Reviewed March 13, 2013

I think this would be a fine lunch experience but don't go for dinner. We made reservations for 7 on a Saturday night and there was only one other table taken. They were mopping the floor around us by 7:30! Our waitress was no help with menu choices. She just didn't care. The food was average. We chose the green tomato caprese and the house salad to start. The pimento cheese on the salad was disgusting. Just move it to the side. My husband had the special flounder stuffed with crab. I had the salmon. Both were just marginal and I expected better after reading the reviews.

Poor service , marginal food and no atmosphere sum up our experience!

Reviewed March 8, 2013

We occasion the Bakery for dinner a couple of times per year. The other weekend, we arrived to find the place empty. Someone else's loss is our gain.

For not the first time, we tried the Porchetta which is a thick piece of slow roasted pork that looks like pork prime rib. It is very tender and tasty, well marbled, seasoned and has a tad of seasoned dressing stuffed on one end. There was also a very generous cup of au jus. The sides were mashed potatoes and brussel sprouts. The mashed was good. And while I prefer NOT to eat brussel sprouts, these were rather good.

The price was about $15.00 And a plus was that the pork size was so generous that we took half home for a second meal a couple days later. A bargain at almost any price.

Eventually, another couple showed up. I can't believe there are not more people dining there considering the bargain we got!

Reviewed January 29, 2013

We enjoy our meals here often. The staff is very knowledgable of the menu items, and do a wonderful job of suggesting items if asked. The chef is one of the best in the Tidewater area of Virginia.

1  Thank Mark and Teresa C
Reviewed January 16, 2013

One of the antique shop owners told us that the best chef was at the bakery, but that it was almost a secret. We went there for dinner and it was excellent. The food and service were top notch even though it is a very small dining room - maybe 6-7 tables.