“Nice Place for lunch”

Taste of Smithfield
Ranked #2 of 35 Restaurants in Smithfield
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Reviewed May 13, 2014

We came to Smithfield for a day trip, not really knowing what to expect. After a trip to the Farmer's Market and walking Main Street, we saw this restaurant and decided to have lunch. Service was a bit slow (the waitress admittedly took our order on a napkin, then threw out the napkin before placing our order with the kitchen), but once we receive our order, we were pleasantly surprised at the large portions. I ordered the pork tenderloin sandwich and my aunt, the club. Each of us took half wrapped to go.
We looked through the shop after we ate, and found out that a discount was given on purchases with restaurant receipt. How could you not buy something with that incentive? We couldn't resist, and picked up a few things to bring home with us.

1  Thank Lauraboo564
There are newer reviews for Taste of Smithfield

Reviewed May 7, 2014

My son was visiting from Virginia Beach and just by chance it's my Birthday too! So we all decided to eat lunch in town. But where can we go that we haven't been before? Last time I went to the post office I saw a new place to eat "Taste of Smithfield". The atmosphere is unique with a country store incorporated into the charm. We were greeted and shown our seats quickly. The establishment was busy and the food coming out looked yummy. My husband ordered the Big Joe (large portion of Pork BBQ on a ciabatta roll) includes 1 side. My son ordered the Pagan Traditional Cuben. Wow!! What a sandwich pork tenderloin, pulled pork, Smithfield Ham, glazed ham, pickle, swiss cheese and creamy mustard with 1 side. I ordered the Captain Todd on a ciabatta roll it was simple with honey ham and swiss cheese and 1 side. Our food was fresh and delicious. Best part of the experience is to sample and buy some of the peanuts to bring home. They also have hams and different items to purchase.

2  Thank katzret
Reviewed May 2, 2014 via mobile

After reading the day's special my husband and I and our granddaughter stopped in for a bite to eat. The staff was friendly and accommodating (we had a large stroller). They had no problem with us sharing an entree and even brought our food already divided up. The only down side was that we were looking forward to a taste of Rosemary in the ciabatta bread, otherwise a delightful lunch.

1  Thank Dawn D
Reviewed April 29, 2014

The folks at the Smithfield, VA visitors' center recommended this place for lunch. What a treat! I ordered the Cuban sandwich with grilled veggies for a side and my husband ordered the barbecue sandwich with sweet potato fries. Both were very generous portions and absolutely delicious. As a matter of fact, we could easily have been satisfied sharing one of them. As it was, we both had enough left over to take back to our room for lunch the next day. The service was fine, an altogether pleasant experience.

As others have said, this is also a sort of country store with Smithfield products (hams, peanuts) for sale. There are all kinds of nuts to sample: salted, unsalted, cajun, dill flavored (actually quite good), and chocolate covered). Quite an assortment. Wish we lived closer and could go back often!

2  Thank mathtac
Reviewed April 11, 2014

We aren't ones for the restaurant/gift shop type of business but the Taste of Smithfield was very pleasant. We were there in March which obviously is an off season for the area. The restaurant was cozy and we had no problem getting a table near the window. There is an outdoor seating area which was enclosed in by plastic and for obvious reasons not being used at this time; but it looked like it would be quite nice for the Summer. Our server, Rosemary, was very nice and efficient and attentive. We had the "Fort Boykin, and the Barlow Tenderloin, both were very good.

When you go to Smithfield Station, go to the visitors center and pick up a card for discounts. The card got our drinks taken off our bill at Taste of Smithfield. Also, our dinner check gave us a discount on store purchases.

The store sets out samples of peanuts, many of which were gone by the time we got there for dinner. The store is cute and no one is pushy as in the other store/restaurants we have been in. There are pigs and HAMS everywhere!! We found the hams and nuts a bit pricey, but that did not surprise us. We did not try the nuts till we got home and were disappointed with one selection. We called the store because of their satisfaction guarantee and they arranged for a replacement can of peanuts to be sent. Very good customer service and we were happy with the replacement nuts. The store is definitely worth roaming around.

2  Thank RoamingAimlessly

Been to Taste of Smithfield? Share your experiences!