“Quaint place to eat” 5 of 5 bubbles

Taste of Smithfield
Ranked #2 of 35 Restaurants in Smithfield
Cuisines: American
Good for: Dining on a budget, Kids, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Mount Laurel, New Jersey
“Quaint place to eat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

My wife, son and I traveled to this small town on 04/02/2013 just to try something different. Well, we were amazed by this little gem of a restaurant we had lunch in. My wife and I had pulled pork(me) &pulled chicken(her) with my son having the baby back ribs. All were really good with the ribs falling off of the bone. The mac & cheese with bacon pieces were a homerun. The store is quaint, the decor is great and the staff is very friendly and helpful. Do yourself a favor and visit this establishment. Was well worth the trip. They also have various samples of foods and merchandise throughout the store. Buy the peach hot sauce and savannah bee lotion! We did!

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank TravelerDad44

Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Get a Proper Introduction to Smithfield Virginia”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

I hope you like pork. I mean pork in any form. I assume that's the case if you're in Smithfield. Pork is what you're going to get.
With that being the case, if you want a reasonably priced adventure in Ham and Pork, go to a Taste of Smithfield. While traveling between appointments recently, I drove through Smithfield Virginia and stopped at TOS. Located on Main Street in "old Smithfield", it's a place to sample Smithfield food on one side of the store and take home souvenirs from the other side of the store.
Before buying gifts, I sat down at the counter and ordered from their interesting menu. My first course was a "cream cheese and ham casserole". It was a beautifully rich dish (and best shared). My main course was a marinated pork chop with a side of mac and cheese with bacon bits on top. All great.
Other options on the menu to try is their BBQ Baby Back Ribs, Cubano (made with Smithfield ham), and........what? vegetarian dishes
The other "sampling" you can experience is the selection of Virginia wine. I tried the Jefferson Cab Franc and the Longwood Cab. Other vineyards on the menu include Horton, Chrysalis and Barboursville.
The decor is infomal
Dress is casual
Service is great
Buy some of their hot sauces or peanuts to take home with you

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Mayoplan
Charleston, South Carolina, United States
“Great New Space”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

I'd been to Taste of Smithfield when it was just a small specialty food shop, but I went again more recently to find that they'd moved into a new, larger location across the street from their old shop. The new Taste of Smithfield features prepared foods, sandwiches, etc., in addition to the large selection of Smithfield Ham and Virginia peanut products that it had at the old store. The layout of the new place is much better than the old - less cramped, so you have plenty of room to move through the store and try out the many samples they offer. There's a good amount of seating both indoors and out on the picturesque main street. During my last visit we did a bit of Christmas shopping in the store (there's an awesome candy selection in addition to the ham and peanuts), and then sat down in the back with their ham and biscuit trio plate. Soooo delicious. If you know you love salty Smithfield ham, you'll not want to pass this up. They also sell a selection of gourmet sodas in their drink case that are delicious - the brand name totally escapes me right now, but give them a try if you enjoy that kind of thing.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank Palmer S
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Taste of Smithfield”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2013

Went there for dinner and enjoyed the pork chop special. Also bought some ham and bacon there to take home.

Visited January 2013
1 Thank mijomurray
Fairfax, Virginia
“A Delicious Taste of Smithfield”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

We visited Smithfield with some friends from Williamsburg and after a great self-guided tour(using a map from the very helpful tourist office) we had to select somewhere to eat lunch. For a relativly small place there were so many choices but we decided to eat at A Taste of Smithfield . It's a fairly new place with a busy feel to it. You go in through quite a large retail area to a cafe in the back where we were seated immediatly. The menu is fairly pork product inspired and I chose one of my favorite sandwiches, a Cubano with grilled vegetables..My husband had the same ,with spicy fries while our friends had club sanwiches. My veggies could have been grilled for a little longer but the sandwich was delicious. We had Shocktop End of the World beer to go with our lunch.
Our waitress was helpful and witty and made us feel very welcome even though she was busy.
I didn't really take in the store part of the business until we were leaving. It was terrific with all kinds of sauces, peanuts jams and fun pork related memorabilia.
We'd certainly go back to eat here but so many other places in Smithfield are calling to us.

• Visited January 2013