“Nice, accessible caverns”
Review of Shenandoah Caverns

Shenandoah Caverns
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Shenandoah Caverns has been thrilling visitors since 1922. It is the only Virginia cavern with elevator service, making it one of the easiest caverns to tour. It's also the closest major cavern to I-81 (Exit 269). Our famous bacon formations are so unusual they were featured in National Geographic. Personally guided tours through our 17 soaring rooms take approximately one hour. Also see our other attractions: Main Street of Yesteryear, American Celebration on Parade (open seasonally), and the Yellow Barn. Open all year. Located 2 minutes from I-81, Exit 269, five miles north of New Market, VA in the beautiful Shenandoah Valley. Let the exploration begin! Please keep in mind that while Shenandoah Caverns does have an elevator, it is not considered handicap accessible. The pathway is crushed gravel with slight inclines throughout the tour, so assistance is required to navigate the tour via wheelchair. There is also one small portion that is not accessible by wheelchair at all. If you are walking the tour, you must be able to stand for one hour and walk one mile. If you have any questions about accessibility, please give us a call.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children, Stairs / elevator
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 75 helpful votes
“Nice, accessible caverns”
Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

Ended up with time on our hands due to closure of National parks. We've done Luray more than once so thought we'd give one of the other nearby caverns a try. This was a nice alternative. The tour is an easy walk of about 1.5 miles round trip. The guides are friendly and very accommodating as far as questions and stops for picture taking, etc.
The little attached museum of parade floats etc. is a sweet little diversion as well. It harkens back to the golden era of large department stores and Christmas window displays,

Watertown, Wisconsin
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Your typical cavern visit with a couple nice extras”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

First off, they have an elevator.
That is a wonderful feature & I believe the only one in the area
They claim that wheelchair-bound people can easily enjoy more than 75% of the tour.
I believe that.
Very nice lighting and some wonderful formations.
The crystal and bacon were my 2 favorites.
The current owner also owns a company that has been making parade floats and Presidential inaugural floats since 1949.
He has many of the figures available to view.
It is an enjoyable place to visit.

Marshall, Virginia
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Cool Vintage Quirkiness”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

The caves are not as commercialized as Luray but look similar, and have a couple of areas lit by various colored lights that the kids seem to love. Our group was small which was nice but our guide, Olivia, was a little abrasive and never smiled at the group, simply churned out the facts or barked orders at us. I was glad to leave the caverns. The other attractions were unlike anything I've ever seen before and made the trip worthwhile. MainStreet Yesteryear was a wondrous display of vintage Christmas store fronts that were charming and nostalgic. I thought these alone made up for my cavern experience but when I walked into American Celebration, I was captivated all over again. A mind boggling collection of float and Rose Parade ornament. These were amazing! Some so huge I couldn't get them in the frame of my camera! A must visit display. The Yellow Barn was simply a gift shop but there were a few more float ornaments if you looked up. A neat bee hive was set into a wall so you could view the bees and an old fashioned photo prop for couples caught my eye. Overall a fun and entertaining experience. There is a coupon on their web site which even though it says 'print', I showed them it on my smartphone and it was accepted.

1 Thank debby t
Virginia Beach, Virginia
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“An unexpected wonder”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

We went to see Shenandoah Caverns on a recent trip to the area. The day before we went to Luray, one of the better known caverns in the area and thought nothing could top them. Boy were we wrong. Shenandoah Caverns was an unexpected wonder and in my opinion they are far more breathtaking than Luray. Shenandoah Caverns were astounding, I cant say that enough times. This is an asbolute must stop of you are in the area. Wish they sold a hiking medallion for the caverns, first cavern I have been too that didnt sell them.

Visited September 2013
4 Thank Dave E
Orlando, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“A fun road-side attraction!”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Initially reluctant to take an hour out of my trip to explore an underground tourist attraction, I'm now so thankful that I did! I had a blast during my tour of the Shenandoah Caverns. Our energetic and friendly tour guide made it all the more fun. The caverns themselves are truly majestic and no photo can truly do them justice. I highly recommend the Shenandoah Caverns to family, kids, singles and just about anyone seeking some educational fun.

Visited September 2013