“Good food, nice town”

Ranked #3 of 11 Restaurants in Scottsville
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: 434-286-3500, just opened a few weeks ago, no web site yet. Should be popular.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Wife and I took about an hour drive through the countryside from Lynchburg VA to this little town on the James River. We had lunch here. I had the hamburger which was good, wife had the Reuben sandwich which was excellent. We arrived around 2 pm so no crowd and the service was excellent. We had a wonderful day and would take this day trip again, with lunch at the same place.

Reviewed March 31, 2018 via mobile

Just order it. Order it now. Do not pass go, do not collect $200.

Order it then make sure you share your experience with others, cuz YUM!!

1  Thank LaLasEpicAdventures
Reviewed March 5, 2018

Beautifully two story brick building on the corner of Rt. 6 & Rt. 20, in the sleepy little town of Scottsville, that is opened 7 days a week! I believe someone said that the building was from the 1930s era and before becoming a restaurant had been a hardware store, as well as a feed store? Beautifully decorated with works from accomplished artists. Large wooden bar, fully stocked with displays. Outside- dog friendly seating area on the patio! Although some entrees are rather prices, kids do eat for free on Thursdays. I was so pleased to find vegetarian options on the menu from stuffed mushrooms, fried dill pickle spears, burger, portabello homemade stuffed ravioli w/tofu burrato, to nacho supreme!! Waiter & waitresses were polite, answered all our questions to satisfaction, and frequently returned to check on us.

Reviewed November 25, 2017

Visiting my son and his family for Thanksgiving and I like to take them to dinner one night. My son suggested Tavern on the James. Now, we are three adults and 6 children ranging from 6 through 20. I think our waitress was shocked to see all of us but she handled special dietary restrictions from one child, to multiple questions from the rest of us with aplomb. I rarely order salmon when I am not familiar with the restaurant. I was not in the mood for steak, or chicken, so I chose the salmon. It was very tasty. Marinated, and not fishy at all.Nice job to all the staff.

Reviewed November 12, 2017 via mobile

Great location and staff, however do not get the nachos.
The white chili was tasteless and so watery that all the chips were soggy. I asked for extra cheddar cheese, but couldn’t find any on the plate.
I left and did not eat them. The hostess asked if everything was ok, so I told her. She made no comment, said nothing at all.