“hard to find-worth the trip”

Walton's Mountain Museum
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Schuyler
Westminster
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“hard to find-worth the trip”
Reviewed July 20, 2014

Several back roads with minimal signage made locating the museum a little tedious for us seniors, but the end justified the means. People at the museum very nice and answered all our questions in a friendly fashion. For a "Waltons" fan, there is a great deal of history of the family, both real and tv families. The exhibit rooms are well done. The " Ikes" general store near the museum is just a convenience store now as the original is long gone. Extra fee to the home of the author was unexpected. Nothing else in the area that we found.

4 Thank bobollie

Somerdale, New Jersey
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Walton's Mountain Museum”
Reviewed July 16, 2014

Loved our visit! Great for any Walton fan! Lots of information about the show, the actors, Earl Hamner, Jr and his family. Also, right across the road is the boyhood home of Earl Hamner, Jr. The home is open for touring and is a nice way to round out your trip.

Visited May 2014
7 Thank Kathy Lee S
Dixon, Kentucky
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Waltons fans treasure!!!”
Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

If you are a true Walton's fan, you will love this museum and the Hamner house. The film was a nice start and all the pictures were great to see. And the replica of the set to the Walton's is a very nice rendition.

6 Thank luma8ter
South Carolina
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Great visit for fans of the show!”
Reviewed July 8, 2014

We decided to take a quick trip to Schuyler during our vacation to Virginia. Our 13-year-old daughter is a huge "Waltons" fan, and we knew she would love it. During our vacation, we went to Williamsburg, Jamestown and Yorktown, also. She loves all things historical, but was loved the museum the most. I have not seen her smile and laugh that much in a long, long time. She even allowed me to take her picture in front of the museum and the Hamner house! (She doesn't like pictures much anymore.) The museum was great and had a lot of memorabilia in it from the show. I liked how the rooms were set up and were very detailed with the ones of the show. I felt like I was actually in a scene of the show. My other daughter, who does not watch the show, enjoyed the scavenger hunt the volunteers have set up for the children. My son even said he may start watching the show now. The volunteers were also very knowledgeable and were patient with questions that were asked. My husband said he enjoyed the film that was shown the most. My 84-year-old mother-in-law enjoyed the museum the most during our trip because she grew up during that era. My only regret is that we didn't seek out the family cemetery and the church. Yes, it is a remote area of Virginia, but the drive is a lovely one and worth going "back in time."

7 Thank sogal2
97 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 81 helpful votes
“A long, long trip to see a tiny museum”
Reviewed July 4, 2014

I grew up watching the Walton's on TV. I have taken my family to fan events that feature the actors and actresses. We are big fans of the show. I thought the museum was tiny. I drove past it without even noticing it. Yes, they have souvenirs and displays but not much. There was nothing else to see or do it the area. The most exciting part of that day was accidently driving through a small Native American village. Take food and drink with you if you go.

Visited March 2014