“Side trip for my Mother-in-law's birthday”

Walton's Mountain Museum
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Schuyler
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Took my MIL here for her birthday since she is a huge Walton's fan. It's about 2.5 hours from her home but I knew she'd enjoy it very much. And she did. It wasn't what I was expecting but she seemed very pleased with the visit and that's what matters. I expected to see more items from the show but there didn't seem to be that much. There were a lot of photos, magazine articles, newspaper articles, etc. There is also a 30 min video of interviews with cast members (must have been taped in late 80's, early 90's, based on the clothes they were wearing. Seems like much more could be done with it than what they have. I didn't watch it much growing up so maybe that's why it didn't hold much interest for me. My MIL did and she loved every minute of it.

3  Thank Jeffrey W

Reviewed July 8, 2013

The picture I'm seeing above is NOT the museum...maybe it will change when I post, but I'll add a picture or two so you know what it looks like. The museum chargea $8.00, free to veterans or at least they let my daughter in for free. It is a wonderful place with near exact replica's of the rooms in the Walton's house, Ike Godsey's store and the Baldwin sister's recipe room. Lots of pictures, autographs and a cute little gift shop. The building is the actual school where Earl Hamner, the writer of the Walton's, graduated. You'll need about an hour to an hour and a half to see the whole place completely. The $8 fee goes to service the community.
Let it be known, the actual Walton house is not associated with the museum. That is the picture I see above. It cost $7.50 to get into that, you get the key and are told to lock the door behind you so know one gets any freebees....no discount for veterans. You buy the ticket in the country store below the house which is where John-Boy did the local newspaper. The price, I felt, was a little much, but I just had to pay being a fan of the show. I can't believe 8 children and parents lived in that house. It isn't as big as the one you see on the show. You can go look at the dam near the house (a very short drive) and you can go to Ike Godsey's store. The store burnt down, but there is another that they rebuilt and they serve GOOD food (take out only) at a very reasonable price. On the show you are led to believe that the store is a long way from the Walton house, but it really is not and the school and church are very close by as well!
All in all it was very interesting and I'm glad I was able to find it (way, way back in the woods) and visit it with my daughter. Not very handicapped friendly, but my daughter who has right side paralysis was able to get around just fine. Take you time and enjoy!! There was no choice for just family visit as mine was, so I had to select so I chose Family with teens, which in fact we are family with an adult daughter.....(that needs to be fixed)

10  Thank Ricki M
Reviewed July 6, 2013

We found staff enthusiastic, very helpful and friendly The exhibits were as near to real as you could wish for we were lucky enough to be allowed into the kitchen for pictures, value for money is unbeatable ... thanks xx

3  Thank maggieLewi
Reviewed June 29, 2013

My husband and I were recently in VA Beach, and on the way home he surprised me with a birthday visit to the Walton's Mountain museum. What a thrill! I grew up watching and loving the Walton's and this was truly a dream come true.
The drive there was breathtaking and beautiful and once we got there we were greeted by wonderful and charming folks. The gentleman running Ike's store was very nice. My hubby bought me an autographed copy of Spencer's Mountain.
Thank you Mr. Hamner for your wonderful gift of storytelling, and thank you for the opportunity to return to my childhood. God bless.

4  Thank OHbeachlover
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Its quite a treck to this museum they need signs on 64 and route 29 and 6. The museum is worthwhile and has wonderfull sets and lots of interesting exhibits. The hosts-hostess are rude and don't show interest. I asked about the Walton house nearby and if was it open. I did not see anyone out and about. I was told it was a B&B now. The idea was imparted by the rude host is it was not open so I missed out on a good exhibit. I think this could be a great museum if the person young or old running it smiled and showed their enthusiasm. Also if these two attractions worked TOGETHER it would be a slam bang!

1  Thank Sandy C