“Roach motel, stay away”
Review of Sandston Inn

Sandston Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Sandston B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 14, 2008

We made advance reservations via phone and the clerk was not very helpful or aware of the whereabouts of the hotel in comparison to down town. She assured us there was an airport shuttle, and complimentary breakfast. Upon arrival at the airport, we called the hotel and they said the shuttle would be there in 15 minutes to get us. 45 minutes later the shuttle was nowhere to be seen, so we called again and they said it was actually done picking people up for the day, and it was their mistake for not telling us that the first time we called. We then had to pay a taxi to take us the one mile to the hotel. At this point, we'd been waiting around for an hour. Once at the hotel, all they could offer for the inconvenience was a "room upgrade" which was a whopping $5 upgrade to a king room. The AC would not stay on so the room was hot and sticky, and the noise of traffic on the street below kept us awake all night. There was a roach crawling up the bathroom wall. The "complimentary continental breakfast" turned out to be at the Clarion next door, as the Red Roof doesn't serve one. It also was not complimentary, and we had to pay $10. This roach motel is highly unrecommended.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled solo

Reviewed May 31, 2008

My husband and I stayed here while attending the NASCAR race at Richmond International Raceway. They are currently remodeling the motel, and althought the front desk was kind of a mess, our room was nice. It was clean, and everything worked properly. Certainly not a 5 star hotel, but it was very cheap for race weekend ($79) and had a very convenient location (7 miles from RIR). Would stay here again for the race, but not sure for a regular trip. Location seems a little questionable (someone stopped my husband in the parking lot of the gas station across the street to beg for money when he went to get ice).

Stayed: May 2008
1  Thank kateben05
Reviewed April 26, 2008

We were traveling through the area and had max'd out the kids and needed a place to stay. It is a very rough area and we saw the Clarian next door and it didn't look too bad. We went in the Clarian and the front desk guy gave us a high rate (for what the area suggests). He was very personable and suggested the Red Roof Inn that is attached to them. He said they were the same exact room except the Red Roof rooms were accessible from the outside. He would be working there the next morning. We checked into the Red Roof with a guy that had no personality at all. We were so tired and simply wanted to get some sleep. The room was nasty and we should have just left, but couldn't imagine loading the 3 kids back up. The room was very worn and dirty. The remote didn't work and the lock between the adjoining rooms didn't work. We propped a chair against the middle door. The area in front of the sink was wet and my wife put a white towel down on the rug to soak it up and it turned brown. We guessed that someone had spilled coffee there and hoped it wasn't dirt. I noticed the next morning that the pipe under the sink was leaking badly. There were several areas outside that looked half complete and a lot of foot traffic around the central area and office that would make most feel uncomfortable.Early the next morning we loaded up to get this behind us and went to the office and the man from the Clarian was there. We told him about the problems and he just asked what room and shrugged it off. We never stay in places like this and assured each other and the kids that it would never happen again. Paying a few bucks more and planning a bit better would be well worth it. Simply put, we screwed up and learned a valuable lesson. The remainder of our trip we paid about ten bucks more and stayed in nice areas with clean rooms, pools, breakfasts, and felt great about it. We should have known better than this place because we saw the area. For those booking ahead of time and not seeing the area, think again.

Stayed: April 2008
1  Thank dylanr1
Reviewed November 9, 2007

The hotel was adequate for the price. I had an unbelievable experience paying the bill. Although I had my email from the Red Roof Inn website where I made the reservation, the front desk refused to honor the amount on it. In order to leave the hotel I paid the requested amount thinking documentation to the Red Roof company would be adequate for a refund. I emailed Red Roof customer service through their website and called twice. The second customer service representative indicated that the website made an error in the rate. I would think that is a problem between the hotel chain and its website and customers should not have to accept the mis representation.

There appears to be no way to get satisfaction regarding this issue, so I am writing to warn those considering a stay here that they should reconsider.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank LaFrequenttraveler
Reviewed August 19, 2007

Stayed here a number of times in summer 07, mainly as I was only 1 night at a time, and booked by my company at last minute.
Rooms are OK inside, but hotel has been undergoing renovation for an eternity. Many things are unfinished in rooms, closets, door frames, one room had a nasty 2 inch gap behind basin with bare brick visible! Wireless internet doesn't work in most rooms. The biggest issue is the VERY nasty hallway and elevator. You feel like you are walking thru a construction site...and you are!!
So once you are in your room it's not SO bad...but not a pleasant exterior at all!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed May 6, 2007

I called the hotels reservation number two months in advance and reserved our hotel room. When I spoke to the operator they quoted me a rate of $59.99 plus tax for a double room for our family of four. This was the weekend of May 4 and the NASCAR Busch and NEXTEL series races were in Richmond, Virginia this hotel was seven miles from the race track. I was told that I did not need a credit card to hold the room as long as I arrived before 6pm on May 4th.
Our family arrived to the hotel at 5:18 pm and went to check in our room and was told by the desk clerk that our reservation had been canceled! She looked the information in her computer and informed me that she did not know why the reservation had been canceled. I told her I called the reservation number the Monday before and my reservation was still confirmed and in place and the room rate was $59.99 plus tax. She told me that the room was canceled on May 4th and the contact name was "Tammy" which is my name. Well we lucked out and the Clarion next door had one room and went out of their way and made us comfortable but they only had a room for one night.
I called the reservation number Saturday morning and was told the the hotel had a rate hike Friday morning to $119.59 for the weekend and that our reservation was cancelled at 4:52:01pm by the HOTEL. The operator confirmed that the hotel did not require a credit card to reserve a room and that the reservation would be cancelled by 6pm if not held by a credit card. She gave me the number to Guest Relations and was told to give them my complaint. The hotel is privately owned but the regional manger would but informed and they would be in contact with me.
If were could not have found a room then my husband my two children ages 6 and 3 and my self 61/2 months pregnant would have been sleeping who knows where.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank Aspenlm
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandston
Best Western Plus Richmond Airport Hotel
Hampton Inn Richmond-Airport
Richmond Airport Hotel
Richmond Airport Hotel
#7 of 15 in Sandston

Been to Sandston Inn? Share your experiences!