“Below expectations”

Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Sandston
Youngstown, Ohio
“Below expectations”
Reviewed January 17, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Homewood Suites last weekend along with other family members. The staff was rarely available and service was way below expectations. We were glad the suite had a kitchen and went grocery shopping for breakfast as the breakfast in the lobby was pretty poor by Hilton standards. The coffee in the evening was stale. Hotel management did call me to follow up on the various service complaints and explained their 100% guarantee policy which resulted in a compelete reimbursement for our 2 night stay.

• Liked — THe location was good for the family events I had planned.
  • Disliked — The service was extremely disappointing.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Dearborn, Michigan
Reviewed January 5, 2009

Compared to other Homewood Suites hotels, this one is below average. The breakfast is about worthless. It has the smallest selection of any Homewood Suites or Hampton Inn that I have seen. The breakfast hostess was laying on the sofa texting on her cell phone while the yogurt sat lukewarm without ice. Another annoyance is that the thermostat is a dial which makes it impossible to control the room temperature.

• Disliked — breakfast
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed November 25, 2008

Convenient location right near the airport makes this a good place to stay. Rooms are spacious and clean. The hotel has a shuttle that will also take you local if needed. Having Uno's across the parking lot was a plus. I would stay here again with family or on business travel.

• Liked — Spacious Rooms; Uno's Next Door
  • Disliked — Not much to do without driving somewhere
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
Concord, New Hampshire
Reviewed August 22, 2008

We were in the area for a softball tournament with teenage girls with a fair amount of down time. Homewood Suites are great for living space, not just a place to sleep. Got a very good group rate and saved a lot of money with the all-included breakfasts and weekday "manager's specials" food offerings at suppertime. The breakfasts varied and the quality of the food was quite good. The rooms were very clean (nice showers!) and the staff was friendly. The front desk immediately responded to a request for a change from a King bed to two doubles. The eating area also proved to be a great gathering place. Another plus is the separate room offering two computers with internet access and printers. The proximity to the airport was not a noise problem - excellent soundproofing. Never heard anyone on our floor and the place was usually full. A lot of business and military travelers. I agree that the pool is small, but certainly adequate along with the whirlpool. On site laundry was very helpful. Nearby convenience store (WaWA) to stock the fridge or get takeout. The nearby Uno's gives 10% off to hotel guests. Definitely worth a little bit more for the comfort and room to spread out.

• Liked — great room that was clean and quiet.
  • Disliked — liked everything...
  • Stayed August 2008
Missouri
Reviewed August 6, 2008

We stayed at the Homewood Suites near the Richmond, VA Airport on July 26th. I know I wasn’t a paying customer and was using our reward points, but we were treated as second class citizens during our stay. All I can say I won’t stay at this hotel again!

After a long days trip we got checked in and had to turn in our rental car at the airport that evening, before we left for home the next morning. The young man who worked the front desk told me he would send the hotels airport shuttle to pick me in about ten minutes. I waited for 45 minutes before calling to see when my ride was going to pick me up. I couldn’t believe the front desk clerk forgot me and left me sitting at the airport for well over 45 minutes!! It wasn’t the shuttle driver's fault because he said he needed something to do that night and was very apologetic. After this the front desk clerk was very rude and could have carried less. I noticed that the hotel made free luggage tags from a persons business. So when the next shift started the young lady working the evening shift wouldn’t or just plain forgot to finish the tag. It was nice the people working the morning shift were helpful to make it a quickly before we left on our flight.

We also noticed the bed cover stunk like something rotten and was dirty. Very surprised a company leaves things like this for people to use and does not provides clean bed covers. We stayed at the Hampton Inn in the same general area for years and never had these kinds of problems. Too bad Hilton’s sold it to another hotel chain. I will stay at Double Tree or Courtyard next time.

We couldn’t believe what happened at breakfast in the morning. There were so many people eating in the morning, the hotel didn’t have enough staff working to keep up with the demand for the food. It also didn’t help, they would only cook a fourth of a pan of eggs at a time and everyone would have to wait for them to cook more food. If a hotel has a big crowd and have 15 people waiting for food, why would you only cook enough food for 10 people and know more people are coming? This was happening to all the food on the menu even the coffee and napkins. The hotel didn’t even have enough seats in the dinning area for everyone to sit. We did notice one ethnic group was staying at the hotel, and during the free breakfast, this group was letting a lot of people in the back door that weren’t staying at the hotel, so they could get a free breakfast. We couldn’t believe the hotel staff didn’t do a thing about this and looked the other way. This breakfast experience was terrible and for the people actually staying at the hotel and for others wanting to get to the airport on time. Where was security? I always wonder when a hotel gives a 100% guarantee if there is something else going on at their hotels. They do it to make people think it will have a good stay? I went through this with the Holiday Inn’s 100% guarantee, that didn’t mean diddly squat.

Also, who puts a basketball court right next to the guess rooms? We had people right outside the window playing basketball at 6:30 in the morning, when we were hoping to recover a little bit before our next day travels.

Good luck if you stay at this hotel!

• Liked — The bed was good
  • Disliked — The workers
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Eric65109
PA
Reviewed July 29, 2008

This is a great hotel for business travelers who can't break the bank on hotel stays. I booked a 1 bedroom suite for $114 a night which was far cheaper than nearby hotels with less amenities. The room was perfect. Extremely clean, nice living room with TV, small kitchen with full size fridge, dishwasher, microwave, 2 burner range and a little bar/counter area with 2 stools. The separate bedroom was very spacious with king size bed, 2nd TV, sink area with granite counters and full vanity with drawers and bathroom. This location has an evening reception Mon-Thurs where they offer free dinner! Not a 5 star meal but very good if you need a quick bite and don't want to go out. Also, pretty good cookies at the front desk!

To the guy who said you need an interpreter, welcome to America. Who else do you think is going to do these jobs? I travel a few weeks per month and 99% of the time you're going to find the maids and other workers are immigrants. Most of the time they don't speak English but I always find them very friendly and happy to do their job. If you need something go to the front desk.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
Washington, DC
Reviewed July 21, 2008

I had never stayed at a Homewood Suites, but after this stay, we are going to stay in one next weekend in Cincinnati as well.

My husband had a one day meeting at the hotel, so the baby and I decided to go along for a quick getaway from DC.

We were very pleased. The suite was perfect with a baby - they provided a pack and play and having the fridge and microwave were invaluable with the baby.

The indoor pool was nice and clean and never crowded. We didn't try the little gym, but it looked adequate. The free breakfast was nothing special, but it was free and adequate.

UNOs in walking distance. Lots of typical fast food restaurants within 5 min drive.

not much airport noise. plenty of parking, even the night we were there that it was booked up.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandston
Hampton Inn Richmond-Airport
Hilton Garden Inn Richmond Airport
Courtyard Richmond Airport
Best Western Plus Richmond Airport Hotel
Four Points by Sheraton Richmond Airport
Holiday Inn Express Richmond Airport

Been to Homewood Suites Richmond Airport? Share your experiences!