“Won't say again”

Homewood Suites Richmond Airport
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Sandston
Reviewed August 6, 2008

We stayed at the Homewood Suites near the Richmond, VA Airport on July 26th. I know I wasn’t a paying customer and was using our reward points, but we were treated as second class citizens during our stay. All I can say I won’t stay at this hotel again!

After a long days trip we got checked in and had to turn in our rental car at the airport that evening, before we left for home the next morning. The young man who worked the front desk told me he would send the hotels airport shuttle to pick me in about ten minutes. I waited for 45 minutes before calling to see when my ride was going to pick me up. I couldn’t believe the front desk clerk forgot me and left me sitting at the airport for well over 45 minutes!! It wasn’t the shuttle driver's fault because he said he needed something to do that night and was very apologetic. After this the front desk clerk was very rude and could have carried less. I noticed that the hotel made free luggage tags from a persons business. So when the next shift started the young lady working the evening shift wouldn’t or just plain forgot to finish the tag. It was nice the people working the morning shift were helpful to make it a quickly before we left on our flight.

We also noticed the bed cover stunk like something rotten and was dirty. Very surprised a company leaves things like this for people to use and does not provides clean bed covers. We stayed at the Hampton Inn in the same general area for years and never had these kinds of problems. Too bad Hilton’s sold it to another hotel chain. I will stay at Double Tree or Courtyard next time.

We couldn’t believe what happened at breakfast in the morning. There were so many people eating in the morning, the hotel didn’t have enough staff working to keep up with the demand for the food. It also didn’t help, they would only cook a fourth of a pan of eggs at a time and everyone would have to wait for them to cook more food. If a hotel has a big crowd and have 15 people waiting for food, why would you only cook enough food for 10 people and know more people are coming? This was happening to all the food on the menu even the coffee and napkins. The hotel didn’t even have enough seats in the dinning area for everyone to sit. We did notice one ethnic group was staying at the hotel, and during the free breakfast, this group was letting a lot of people in the back door that weren’t staying at the hotel, so they could get a free breakfast. We couldn’t believe the hotel staff didn’t do a thing about this and looked the other way. This breakfast experience was terrible and for the people actually staying at the hotel and for others wanting to get to the airport on time. Where was security? I always wonder when a hotel gives a 100% guarantee if there is something else going on at their hotels. They do it to make people think it will have a good stay? I went through this with the Holiday Inn’s 100% guarantee, that didn’t mean diddly squat.

Also, who puts a basketball court right next to the guess rooms? We had people right outside the window playing basketball at 6:30 in the morning, when we were hoping to recover a little bit before our next day travels.

Good luck if you stay at this hotel!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank Eric65109
There are newer reviews for Homewood Suites Richmond Airport

Reviewed July 29, 2008

This is a great hotel for business travelers who can't break the bank on hotel stays. I booked a 1 bedroom suite for $114 a night which was far cheaper than nearby hotels with less amenities. The room was perfect. Extremely clean, nice living room with TV, small kitchen with full size fridge, dishwasher, microwave, 2 burner range and a little bar/counter area with 2 stools. The separate bedroom was very spacious with king size bed, 2nd TV, sink area with granite counters and full vanity with drawers and bathroom. This location has an evening reception Mon-Thurs where they offer free dinner! Not a 5 star meal but very good if you need a quick bite and don't want to go out. Also, pretty good cookies at the front desk!

To the guy who said you need an interpreter, welcome to America. Who else do you think is going to do these jobs? I travel a few weeks per month and 99% of the time you're going to find the maids and other workers are immigrants. Most of the time they don't speak English but I always find them very friendly and happy to do their job. If you need something go to the front desk.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed July 21, 2008

I had never stayed at a Homewood Suites, but after this stay, we are going to stay in one next weekend in Cincinnati as well.

My husband had a one day meeting at the hotel, so the baby and I decided to go along for a quick getaway from DC.

We were very pleased. The suite was perfect with a baby - they provided a pack and play and having the fridge and microwave were invaluable with the baby.

The indoor pool was nice and clean and never crowded. We didn't try the little gym, but it looked adequate. The free breakfast was nothing special, but it was free and adequate.

UNOs in walking distance. Lots of typical fast food restaurants within 5 min drive.

not much airport noise. plenty of parking, even the night we were there that it was booked up.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed March 25, 2008

Very clean rooms, very little airport noise. The staff that worked the lobby desk seemed to be the only ones who speak english. I had a problem with my bathroom door...finally resolved the next night but not without complete confusion because maintenance staff spoke no english, only Spanish! Also be aware that some of the rooms(mine was one) have little buttons on the outside by the door that say "handicapped equipped" or something to that effect. The buttons are to be used to warn the occupants inside in case of fire,etc. The problem is they have kids staying there that find delight in pushing the buttons in the middle of the night to jar the occupants awake with strobe lights and sirens going off inside the room. This happened to us. Management claims there is "nothing they can do" to prevent this. It should be noted here that I did not ask for a handicapped room when I booked on their website. If you stay here...do NOT accept a room with one of these buttons by the door....unless you have need of this service.
This is a nice hotel and a nice place to stay as long as you are aware of this problem. Language also was a factor at the morning breakfast. If you had a request or a question about the food, the staff has a difficult time understanding you because of the language barrier.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 4, 2008

I was put in this hotel by Delta after taking a voluntary bump from a flight home - what a pleasant surprise! The lobby is airy and bright - 2 story ceilings, a gas fireplace, friendly desk clerk, warm chocolate chip cookies on the counter:) My room was spacious, appeared to be newly decorated and was CLEAN! I had a king sized bed - very soft, comfy sheets, a small living room, kitchen and bathroom. Everything was clean and nice - no mold, funny smells, dirt, hair or any other nasty surprises. Free wireless internet, free breakfast (full) and free dinner Mon - Thursday. I was there on a Thursday and they were serving chicken terriaki w/rice and a salad. You can also walk across the parking lot to Chicago Uno (10% discount for being a hotel guest). I'd recommend this hotel if you need to get to the aiprort quickly. Whatever you do, DO NOT stay at the Wyndham near the airport - that place is disgusting (that's the first place Delta put me before moving me to Homewood Suites).

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed January 21, 2008

Stayed at the Homewood in Sandston for 1 night for business. My company was having a meeting at one of their meeting rooms and booked to stay there.

It was OK. I base this related to other Homewood Suite experiences I've had. I had a King Bed room. It was nice, but it seemed very awkward in design and shape. Hard to describe in words other than the layout of the room seemed odd. Maybe it was because I was near the elevator and that was just the shape of my room.

Elevator was also towards the back of the hotel which seemed odd. Not used to traveling to the back to go up.

The bed was OK, again not what I'm used to at a Homewood Suite. The room had a fully equipped kitchen with the works and a little bar to sit and eat. The work desk was in the middle of the room across from the TV which seemed in a strange place. Had a couch across the room from the bed.

Breakfast in the morning was OK. Eggs were a little "manufactured" compared to what I remember having at other Hilton brand hotels. Not really anywhere else but Pizzeria Uno near the hotel to eat at which was disappointing.

Internet access, although wireless was very slow and I had a very poor signal from my room. I could have plugged in I guess, but would much rather sit on the couch with my laptop rather than sit at the desk.

Overall I was excited when I heard we were at the Homewood Suites and this particular hotel just didn't meet my expectations based on stays at 3 or 4 others.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank gobluechris
Reviewed November 14, 2007

We have just spent 12 nights at this hotel - we were really impressed. Firstly it is central to all the places we wanted to see - Charlottesville, Williamsburg, Fredericksburg, civil war battlefields etc. It is very easy to find - all routes tell you where the Airport is so if we were ever lost we could always find our way home.
Really lovely helpful staff. Huge comfortable bed. Very roomy room. Cooking facilities. Laundry. Free breakfast and dinner if required. Comfortable sofa. Windows that open - can't fault it. Noise of aircraft very muted, didn't disturb us at all. We would go back very happily.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandston
Hampton Inn Richmond-Airport
Hilton Garden Inn Richmond Airport
Best Western Plus Richmond Airport Hotel
Courtyard Richmond Airport
Candlewood Suites Richmond Airport
Holiday Inn Richmond Airport

Been to Homewood Suites Richmond Airport? Share your experiences!