Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Richmond Airport
Ranked #9 of 15 Hotels in Sandston
Reviewed October 29, 2012

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 26, 2012

This hotel is aging and not well. The room had worn out carpet, a "caulked up" shower, mal-functioning fixtures in the bath and an air conditioner that was erratic. Nothing seemed fresh and clean. The breakfast was very minimal. Perhaps this is true of all Microtels but the room had no bedside lamps. Only a long flourescent tube that went the width of the bed. The lighting was harsh and unpleasant. The only other lights were "can CFLs" in the ceiling.The service was adequate and the room rate seemed fair for what you got. Arrive informed.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 6, 2012

I have stayed at this location several times in the past three years, Each time I am treated with great customer service at check in, my room meets my expectations, the morning breakfast is quality and the check out is friendly and quick. I am the customer and there are several choices at the Richmond Airport area, Microtel Sandston is and continues to be my #1 choice.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 1, 2012

I didn't find the place in the terrible condition that some others have written, was just a basic crash pad for a night - you get what you pay for.

BTW - this hotel does not have a shuttle to the airport and being only 1 mile from the airport terminal I guess that's not a big enough fare for the cab companies to care about you - I called the three listed on the airport website's ground transport section (the night before I needed a ride) and all three told me sorry every cab is busy elsewhere so call someone else... so I walked a mile with my bags down the road to the terminal. That's not a knock on the Microtel itself (other than a shuttle would sure help) but be forewarned that unless you have your own car with you, the taxis should not be relied upon.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Breakfast was good and timely. Rooms were nice, plenty of parking. Would like fluffier towels. Showers need to be worked on, hard to turn on. Light in bathroom constantly flickered.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 13, 2012

no real ammeneties at this hotel,small fitness center,no buisness center,right under take off path,toilet ran constantly.water stains and patches in the hall way. bed was comfy breakfast was in fact a joke. asked day manager if there was anywhere around to get computer access,he just shook his head and didn't even speak

Room Tip: stay else where
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 3, 2012

I was booking online while in the car (passenger!) and it was slow on the map view, so I utilized the chat.

The Orbitz rep I booked through (first time) steered me this way instead of towards another hotel.

I had an entire list of surprises.

1 - I selected pets with my reservation and told the rep that when booking. My price & payment were supposed to include "all taxes and fees", so you will imagine my surprise when I saw the signs all around $50 for pets. If you have a pet and don't tell us, there is a $250 fee (or fine). So I got charged an extra $50. This place was the same price as the MUCH nicer holiday inn properties a few exits up. SO ticked. Ended up costing me $175 after the taxes and fees for a $100 room!!!

2 - no pool as the rep promised.

3 - room had mold in bathroom ceiling. Guess who's allergic?

4 - counter was sinking in and collapsing under fridge - prior water damage?

5 - alleged "smoke free" hotel REEKED of smoke upon arrival - AND of the overly fragranced stuff they use to cover it up.

6 - my son found a random wing nut lying around - which we discovered from taking it from his mouth.

7 - staff was nice - even about the pet policy. inflexible on that, but nice. we needed a late checkout due to exhaustion (some people in the hall woke everyone up after we finally got both kids and the dog in bed - it was a long night - but I'm sure given the paper-thin walls there are other reviews about that "screaming kid" or "barking dog" that are us... so... not throwing stones there). Made the dog jumpy at EVERY sound that happened outside our door after that.

8 - paper paper paper thin walls

9 - location - yuk. unless you wish to be able to walk onto the runway, there are probably more convenient places.

Overall just EXTREMELY disappointed with this entire stay. Microtel was a classy brand when it started almost 15 years ago (or longer?) but I don't think it's done a single renovation since then. They definitely stopped winning major awards after 2005, and I can see why.

NEVER Microtel again, and NEVER Orbitz personal booking.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandston
Best Western Plus Richmond Airport Hotel
Courtyard Richmond Airport
1 mi away
Quality Inn Richmond Airport
Holiday Inn Express Richmond Airport

Been to Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Richmond Airport? Share your experiences!