“I was talked into this by rep at Orbitz - what a mistake. Didn't look here first for first time EVER and paid for it.”

Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Richmond Airport
Ranked #9 of 15 Hotels in Sandston
Reviewed September 3, 2012

I was booking online while in the car (passenger!) and it was slow on the map view, so I utilized the chat.

The Orbitz rep I booked through (first time) steered me this way instead of towards another hotel.

I had an entire list of surprises.

1 - I selected pets with my reservation and told the rep that when booking. My price & payment were supposed to include "all taxes and fees", so you will imagine my surprise when I saw the signs all around $50 for pets. If you have a pet and don't tell us, there is a $250 fee (or fine). So I got charged an extra $50. This place was the same price as the MUCH nicer holiday inn properties a few exits up. SO ticked. Ended up costing me $175 after the taxes and fees for a $100 room!!!

2 - no pool as the rep promised.

3 - room had mold in bathroom ceiling. Guess who's allergic?

4 - counter was sinking in and collapsing under fridge - prior water damage?

5 - alleged "smoke free" hotel REEKED of smoke upon arrival - AND of the overly fragranced stuff they use to cover it up.

6 - my son found a random wing nut lying around - which we discovered from taking it from his mouth.

7 - staff was nice - even about the pet policy. inflexible on that, but nice. we needed a late checkout due to exhaustion (some people in the hall woke everyone up after we finally got both kids and the dog in bed - it was a long night - but I'm sure given the paper-thin walls there are other reviews about that "screaming kid" or "barking dog" that are us... so... not throwing stones there). Made the dog jumpy at EVERY sound that happened outside our door after that.

8 - paper paper paper thin walls

9 - location - yuk. unless you wish to be able to walk onto the runway, there are probably more convenient places.

Overall just EXTREMELY disappointed with this entire stay. Microtel was a classy brand when it started almost 15 years ago (or longer?) but I don't think it's done a single renovation since then. They definitely stopped winning major awards after 2005, and I can see why.

NEVER Microtel again, and NEVER Orbitz personal booking.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed August 9, 2012

I was sent to Richmond on a business trip and this was the Hotel I was put in at no cost to me, very thankful for that. I was with others on this trip and most of us had issues with our rooms and staff, A/C not working properly, shower handle broke off, breakfast is a joke, rooms not the cleanest. When we checked out the Manager double billed some of our people and acted like it was a hassle to fix it. If sent back we will deny this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank steelers4326
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Low cost, friendly service, small room with older appliances, right next to the airport and near a Wawa. Free continental breakfast but nothing amazing, just basic.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lovinparadise314
Reviewed April 12, 2012

I reserved my room on-line and was extremely happy at the price. The pics on-line led me to believe the room was a lot bigger than it was. Apparently the staff is confused and they all just do their own thing because I called the night before my check in and told them I would be arriving At around 4am and would it be ok if I check in there because if not I would leave home later so me and my family wouldn't have to wait.. Well upon checking in I was told that I couldn't check in until 7am mind you I arrived at 6:30am.. After driving 5 hrs in the middle of the night I didn't want to hear that what I was told the day before was wrong and I had to wait with my baby for 30 min because if the managers rules..finally after getting a little tough another desk clerk checked me in..the room was TINY.. The name Micro was an under statement.. The room is good for really only 2 people at best and no more than a weekend stay.. I ended up upgrading to a suite which was only 20$ more and that was well worth the $20..all though the mini kitchen had no utensils it was very spacious and the bed was surprisingly comfortable..the room was clean, cozy and the bathroom was well stocked.. The downfall is the tv, it's from 1985 and was oddly placed on top of the closet where it was odd to see..but overall it wasn't a bad stay for the price..it was quiet, clean and affordable and I would stay again..

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed March 25, 2012

My mother and I came from kansas to visit my brother on base at Ft. Lee. When we arrived, we found out they did not honor the online price so our stay would be 56 dollars a night, with no discount for staying five days. I am 8 months pregnant and our plane got in at 1:00 AM. I was too tired to go anywhere else, so I paid for one night. When we got into the room, there was pen ink all over the counter. I did not want to put my laptop on it. The internet is "free" but cuts out and reboots. Being 8 months pregnant, I was not happy to find the toilet paper on the opposite wall of the toilet, nor the shower to barely work and take forever to get to the right temperature. For 56 dollars a night, We expected the tv to be modern, not as old as it was. It was also on top of a tall closet. The safe did not work. The air conditioner/heater was old and didn't seem like the filter had been changed. The hotel offers no discount for extensive stays, and the staff was rude when I asked about the discount and told me they couldn't do anything about it. The continental breakfast is simply cereal and bagels. Being out of town, we needed directions, however no one in the area seemed to know where anything else was. After driving around a couple days, we found a Legacy Inn which offered discount weekly rates and only 29.99 a night. Had we known that and not already paid, we would have gone there. Microtel charged to my card more than they should have and I plan to contact the chamber of commerce as well. Doubt I get my money back, but It's worth telling everyone NOT to stay here.

Room Tip: look for Legacy Inn or other hotels in the area
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed February 27, 2012

We reserved a room for one night, and the experience wasn't so bad if you're only staying one night. I definately wouldn't be able to stay more than that. The rooms are very small, and the tv sits on top of a tall chest and you have to look up to see the tv. The tv's are very old. They should really upgrade. The hotel looks fairly new. I don't understand why they have those old tv's.......On the plus side the customer service was great, and the clerk at the front desk gave me a late checkout. We got in very late. She was very nice and possess very good customer service skills.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank colemanlatisha
Reviewed January 5, 2012

We were under a mandatory evacuation from Norfolk, VA due to Hurricane Irene. We arrived at 7 p.m. on August 26th, 2011 for a 3 night prepaid stay at this Microtel and had to pay the $50 pet fee (a total of $200). At about 10 a.m. the next morning we lost power. We went to a nearby Pizza Hut for lunch/dinner hoping the power would be back on when we came back. The power was still off, as was the emergency generator (meaning no lights in the hallways or anywhere). We had 2 towels when we checked in. We asked for more on Saturday morning before the power went out and were told to find a housekeeping cart. Each one we came across had no towels, just washcloths and hand towels. We had to take our dog out around 9 p.m. The hallways were pitch black with no flashlights or any workers around. We slowly felt along the wall to make our way outside. Our room's window only opened 6 inches for any air circulation to come in. After a hot, stuffy, noisy night with kids screaming and running down the halls playing and dogs barking in every room on the 1st floor, we went to check out Sunday morning at 9 a.m. as the power was still off. Claudette at the front desk said they would refund the money for Sunday's night (we had prepaid) since we weren't staying, but they couldn't give us anything back on the previous two nights as they aren't responsible for "acts of nature". We asked for the one night refund to be in writing as the credit card machine was obviously not working due to lack of power. Claudette refused to sign any piece of paper stating the refund. It has now been over five months and I still have not received credit for that one night. I have tried contacting the hotel twice with generic response emails returned to me. I filed a complaint with the BBB and even they couldn't believe Microtel would not refund me the one night I didn't stay due to their lack of power.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RiskyBsness
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandston
Best Western Plus Richmond Airport Hotel
1 mi away
Quality Inn Richmond Airport
Courtyard Richmond Airport
Hampton Inn Richmond-Airport

Been to Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Richmond Airport? Share your experiences!