“Typical Garden Inn”

Hilton Garden Inn Richmond Airport
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Sandston
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Unlike some of the prior reviews, I did not see anything wrong with this hotel. It was typical of a Garden Inn with a comfortable bed, friendly service and Garden Inn amenities such as a bar and hot breakfast. My room was very clean and I no issue with noise.

I was tired at my arrival, so just ordered a burger and side salad to room. Nothing great, but it was OK and similar to what I expected. They followed up with a call to check on the order which was a nice touch. As a Diamond member, I get a free breakfast. I had a very good omelette. There was plenty of fruit, bread and cereals for other options.

I would stay here again and have no problem recommending this for an affordable option near the airport.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
HGI-Airport, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Richmond Airport, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2012

I wanted to personally thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to provide your feedback on your experience with our property from your recent stay with us.

We are pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay and greatly appreciate the positive ratings that you gave. Once again, thank you so very much for you time!

We realize that you have so many hotel options when you travel and are thrilled that you chose Hilton Garden Inn Richmond Airport during your stay in Richmond. Your continued loyalty and support to the Hilton Family is also most appreciated and we look forward to the opportunity to serve you again the next time you are in our area, meanwhile, have a wonderful day

There are newer reviews for Hilton Garden Inn Richmond Airport

Reviewed October 18, 2012

A perfect $10.99 way to start the day. Eggs, omlettes, pancakes were individually prepared, cooked to perfection, and served by a pleasant, efficient wait staff. These selections were complemented by a variety of cold and prepared warm dishes.

Even though our room overlooked the I-64 exit, outside noise was not a problem. Inside noise was. The mini-fridge motor buzzed to life at annoying intervals simulating a giant horsefly. We changed rooms to escape the attacks, but they resumed after a deceptive bedtime lull. AC compressor/fan provided a consistent background that did let us return to sleep.

Communication with the housekeeping staff was impossible. Two different Asian women did not understand English, Spanish, or French. One African-American did understand English but ignored or forgot our request to empty waste baskets and change towels.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
HGI-Airport, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Richmond Airport, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2012

We value your feedback and truly appreciate that you shared your experience you had at our hotel with us.
We are sorry we were unable to provide you with the quality of amenities and service you deserved during your recent stay. We apologize for the issues in your room and will work with our team to ensure we’re providing the best amenities for all guests.
If you return to our area, we hope you will consider staying with us again.

Reviewed October 16, 2012

HGI's are designed with business travellers in mind and this property has all the bells and whistles. It is located a short shuttle ride from the airport and they provide shuttle service to the nearby chain restaurants. On the service, this hotel has everything that you are looking for but the management and service leave something to be desired.

My room smelled awful--I couldn't tell if the stench eminated from the heating unit, new carpet installation, or some other source but it was overwhelming. The housekeeping staff failed to clean the room and I had to request the service when I returned from business at 6:00 p.m. Keys "de-magnetized" frequently, requiring a return to the front desk to have them re-programmed.

The bottom line here is that this hotel has just about everything you would expect on a list of amenities and services (including bar and restaurant with limited menu) but the way those assets are managed drops down the rating. Maybe your stay will not include any of these kinds of problems. If that is the case, you will love this hotel. As it was for me, the nice facilities combined with the spotty service and room condition balanced out to a satisfactory but undistinguished business traveller experienced.

Try the Holiday Inn next door. I had a better experience there on a previous trip, although all the hotels in this tight little complex are owned by the same Richmond hotel magnate.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
HGI-Airport, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Richmond Airport, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about our hotel. We apologize for the inconvenient smell during your stay and we are sorry we were not able to provide you with the level of service you deserve. Because travel is very important, we try hard to make sure all our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel. We hope you will consider staying with us in the future.

Reviewed October 11, 2012

I've reviewed this property before and found the staff to be very helpful. This was not the case during this stay. As a HH Diamond member, the restaurant staff appears to have changed and is now the worse I've ever encountered at a Hilton property and this is saying something as I stay at a Hilton property every week. I stayed for three nights during this visit to our nearby beverage production facility. During my stay I grabbed a seat at the restaurant bar area for breakfast each morning and was literally ignored by the wait staff (Shannon and Daphne) every day except for my last day when I was chastised for grabbing silverware from a nearby table as I'd done the previous two days as neither Shannon or Daphne bothered to offer to take my breakfast order. One of the mornings I had to search for someone to take my omelette order. The cook, a real sour-puss, is obviously not a morning person so why are you interfacing with business travelers first thing in the morning? In fact, why have a wait staff that can't effectively wait on customers? Not a good experience. With so many choices in the area, one should try either the Holiday Inn, Holiday Inn Express or Doubletree nearby where they will likely receive better service and maybe a smile to start off each day.

3  Thank ladyinmaryland

I wanted to personally thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to provide feedback on your experience at our property from your recent stay with us.

It is our goal to ensure that each and every one of our guests has the most productive and enjoyable stay as possible and we are sincerely apologetic for any inconvenience which you experienced while staying with us. Please know that we have forwarded your concerns to the Food and Beverage Management for serious review.

Your continued loyalty is very important to us, we realize that you have so many hotel options when you travel and are thrilled that you have chosen Hilton Garden Inn Richmond Airport during your stays in Richmond.

We look forward to the opportunity to serve you again the next time you are in our area and please let me know if ever I am able to be of any assistance, I do hope you have a wonderful day!

Reviewed October 11, 2012

The hotel is a 'typical' airport hotel. Decent enough. One issue I had was that 2 of our rooms STUNK of cigarette smoke. YUCK! They said they'd be redoing the carpets soon. Got 2 free breakfasts for the inconvenience. Woohoo, big deal!

Room Tip: I would check with them before booking.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed October 7, 2012

We stayed at this hotel in January 2012 and again this time in October 2012. We found the hotel to be very clean both times. The rooms, bedding and towels were clean. We were greeted by a friendly desk clerk.

In January I did not have any problems at all but during this stay I had an allergic reaction to something, we think it was the toiletries in the bathroom. When we first entered the room I noticed the bathroom had an odd odor so I kept the bathroom door open a little and we went to visit family and go out to eat. When we returned I took my shower but I used only toiletries that I had brought from home. Shortly after my shower I began to cough uncontrollably. My husband thought maybe we had the air conditioner set to low so he raised the temp however the fan never stopped blowing. I asked my husband to put the toiletries from the hotel in a Ziploc bag and after several minutes of those products being in a sealed bag I stopped coughing. I said to him it wasn't the AC because the fan never stopped blowing air. I really believe it was those products. My husband said if the hotel had new carpet installed recently that the soap could have absorbed that odor from the glue - I don't know what it was but I was becoming very scared. So grateful that the cough stopped. Maybe the hotel is using a different brand of toiletries since our January visit.

Since we have family living in that area and will probably be visiting in the future I believe we will find a different hotel for our next visit. Other than thinking I was going to cough myself to death I liked the hotel just fine.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
HGI-Airport, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Richmond Airport, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2012

If you return to our area, we hope you will consider staying with us again.

Sincerely

Reviewed October 5, 2012

I have stayed here for business several times but this past occasion was the first in a couple of years. I now remember why I haven't returned before this past week. The reception for cell phones/air cards is virtually non-existent inside the rooms. Due to VPN requirements, I use my air card exclusively and do not utilize the hotel Internet connection. Even sitting by the window on the second floor, I could only get intermittent standard cell signal and zero 3G/4G signal. Dropped calls were the norm on the phone as well. I would guess that the construction of the hotel is to blame, given the location of the property in the flight path of the airport. This issue is a deal-breaker for me which is unfortunate as the rest of the HGI experience here is fantastic.

The staff are very friendly and attentive. The hotel is very clean fresh both inside and out. Breakfast is standard HGI cook-to-order or buffet. It was filling and pretty tasty.

If consistent mobile phone and/or broadband aircard reception is no critical, then this is a great choice.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
HGI-Airport, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Richmond Airport, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2012

Thank you so much for your feedback on our hotel. It is so nice to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We are very sorry about the cell phone reception. We do know this is not an issue on the fith floor. Upon your return we would love for you to stay with us again. When you book your reservation please ask for fith floor. You should not experiance cell phone reception there. We hope you do return.
We look forward to serving you again in the very near future.

Sincerly,

Tammy Barker

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandston
Hampton Inn Richmond-Airport
Courtyard Richmond Airport
Homewood Suites Richmond Airport
Best Western Plus Richmond Airport Hotel
Holiday Inn Richmond Airport
Candlewood Suites Richmond Airport

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Richmond Airport? Share your experiences!