“Great HGI Except for Cell Phone/Air Card Reception”

Hilton Garden Inn Richmond Airport
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Sandston
Reviewed October 5, 2012

I have stayed here for business several times but this past occasion was the first in a couple of years. I now remember why I haven't returned before this past week. The reception for cell phones/air cards is virtually non-existent inside the rooms. Due to VPN requirements, I use my air card exclusively and do not utilize the hotel Internet connection. Even sitting by the window on the second floor, I could only get intermittent standard cell signal and zero 3G/4G signal. Dropped calls were the norm on the phone as well. I would guess that the construction of the hotel is to blame, given the location of the property in the flight path of the airport. This issue is a deal-breaker for me which is unfortunate as the rest of the HGI experience here is fantastic.

The staff are very friendly and attentive. The hotel is very clean fresh both inside and out. Breakfast is standard HGI cook-to-order or buffet. It was filling and pretty tasty.

If consistent mobile phone and/or broadband aircard reception is no critical, then this is a great choice.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
HGI-Airport, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Richmond Airport, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2012

Thank you so much for your feedback on our hotel. It is so nice to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We are very sorry about the cell phone reception. We do know this is not an issue on the fith floor. Upon your return we would love for you to stay with us again. When you book your reservation please ask for fith floor. You should not experiance cell phone reception there. We hope you do return.

There are newer reviews for Hilton Garden Inn Richmond Airport

Reviewed August 17, 2012

I hate going away for business, especially when there's not much nightlife/attractions in the area. Such is the case here (unless you want to get back in the car and drive), but staying at this Hilton Garden Inn makes those days much sweeter. It is always clean, vibrant, and staffed well to get you checked-in and onward. The rooms are always much too cold when I enter, but this is easily fixed by turning off the a/c. The addition of DirecTV was a good surprise -- 10 channels of HBO? Fabulous. The bed is so comfy, I stop in between meetings and I just want to lay and rest! But I can't. I'm also on a quest to buy this Hilton's pillows, not the soft feathery/down ones, the firmer deep ones. Really, an excellent aid for sleeping in a hotel, which I have trouble doing.

Overall, if your mission is to find an attractive space and get great rest, look no further.

Oh yeah, Herman Miller chairs for the desk space. Elegant touch.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
HGI-Airport, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Richmond Airport, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2012

Reviewed August 15, 2012

My stay at the Hilton Garden Inn was mostly a positive one. After several calls using the Hilton Honors phone number, I was finally able to use my Honors Points. Kudos to the women who were able to change my reservation from a Hilton Garden Inn Downtown Richmond to the one by the airport. The Hilton Garden Inn in Sandston VA was located close to the airport. There was a Holiday Inn and a Hampton Inn on either sides of the Hilton Garden. Within walking distance was a WAWA convenience store and gas station. There were also a few fast-food restaurants (Burger King and Arbys) close by. The hotel lobby was bright and inviting, as was the restaurant area. Jay, at the front desk, was hospitable. A couple of complaints, however: The area at the base of the toilet was not clean (I recognize "evidence" of this since I have boys at home). I had to wipe off the area myself. Also, in the morning, the housekeeping staff started at one end of the hallway, tapping on doors and yelling "housekeeping!!" I thought my door would be spared as there would be record that I was checking out that day and would be leaving soon. No such luck...I had to bear the rapping and declaration of "housekeeping!!," as well.....and at 9am on Sunday morning, no less!! Granted, our "do not disturb" sign was not on the door. It wouldn't have really mattered, however, because you could clearly hear the housekeeping woman knocking and yelling at each door she checked (and she checked many). Overall it was a good stay and I would probably stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
HGI-Airport, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Richmond Airport, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2012

Thank you so much for your positive comments as well as your honest feedback on Housekeeping. It is great to hear your over all stay was pleasant. I have addressed the 9 am wakeup call by my housekeepers with the management of that department to assure we stop that practice immediately. I am very sorry this happened to you however your feedback will prevent it from happening again.

Thank you for choosing the Hilton Garden Inn as your choice of hotels when you visited the Richmond area and we do look forward to serving you again in the near future.

Tammy Barker,
Hilton Garden Inn

Reviewed August 8, 2012

Conveniently located near Richmond airport (RIC), the hotel has a great staff, is clean, comfortable bed & pillows ... what else can you say, oh ya, recently updated with a full line of DirecTV channels. Way to go HGI!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
HGI-Airport, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Richmond Airport, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2012

Reviewed July 29, 2012

Clean hotel. Room was OK, get the suite to have some room. Housekeeping was terrible. $11.00 for breakfast ridiculous, for the rate they should have free continental breakfast. Pool?? why bother, small, over chlorinated and not ventilation. Exercise room was kind of a joke as well. Nice beds and pillows.

Room Tip: Get the suite for added room and pull out
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
HGI-Airport, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Richmond Airport, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2012

I wanted to personally thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to provide feedback on your experience at our property from your recent stay with us.

It is our goal to ensure that each and every one of our guests has the most enjoyable stay as possible and we are sincerely apologetic for any inconvenience which you experienced while staying with us.

We do apolagize for the disturbance by housekeeping Saturday and Sunday. I have addressed this with the Housekeeping manager to assure this does not happen again as it is not common practice at our hotel to disturb the staying guest that early.

As for the unattentiveness of the front desk staff I have also addressed that with the Front office manager to assure that too does not happen again.

Again I appreciate your feedback as it helps us in correcting issues like this so that they do not happen again.

We look forward to the opportunity to serve you again the next time you are in our area and please let me know if ever I am able to be of any assistance.

Reviewed July 23, 2012

When I called to make the reservation (2 nights) I was told that I could have a noon checkout on my last day. When I arrived, I double checked that I would have it, and they told me there was no way I could get a noon checkout and I must be out by 11am. The reasoning was that there was a full housechecking out that day, and they need everyone out. I'm pretty confidant that they don't have enough housekeepers to clean EVERY room exactly at 11am. We paid to sleep in the room, yet aparently 930am on a Saturday morning is adequate to wake up the guests for housekeeping services. My advice would be to wait until 11am on weekends. They also were knocking on our door at 930am Sunday, the day of checkout. We were checking out in an hour and a half, leave us be. Clean the room when we leave! I paid to sleep in the room, on a relaxing vacation, I didn't pay to be given a wake up call every morning at 930am. I work at a hotel and we would never knock on a door until 11am if the guests were staying over. It's just curtious!

The room was very clean, which was the positive aspect of the hotel. The check in staff was super nice, but unfortunatley that was the only time he worked during our stay. We requested cab company numbers and both staff at the desk acted completely annoyed with us when we asked if they had a reccommendation.

The pool was very dirty, and the whirpool was colder than the pool and even dirtier. I was disappointed. If you are simply looking for a clean room, they have them here. Try another hotel for a pool or whirlpool.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank hotel m
Reviewed July 1, 2012

My family of 4 stayed here on a Thursday night after a day in Richmond (on our way to Virginia Beach). It's a very nice, new hotel. I actually felt out of place being a leisure traveler because everyone else appeared to be a business traveler. The room was nice. Had a fridge/micro, which I always prefer. There isn't much around the immediate area, but it's right across from the airport. If you have to stay in the area, this would make a good base. We drove into Richmond for dinner at Station 2 Burgers (also very good). There are several restaurants in that revitalized "urban lofts" section of Richmond but you definitely need a car.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for visiting our hotel during your travels to the beach. It is great to hear you and your family enjoyed it. Thank you for your great comments.

We look forward to being able to serve you again in the future.

Tammy Barker

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandston
Hampton Inn Richmond-Airport
Courtyard Richmond Airport
Homewood Suites Richmond Airport
Best Western Plus Richmond Airport Hotel
Holiday Inn Richmond Airport
Four Points by Sheraton Richmond Airport

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Richmond Airport? Share your experiences!