“Met my needs”

Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Sandston
Roswell, Georgia
“Met my needs”
Reviewed March 4, 2008

Overall a good experience. Not sure if its the Hampton any longer, the sign says Airport Inn. It right behind the Court yard and next to an old Knights Inn which has changed its name also. The area is a little seedy but you're out in the country not the big city. The hotel was clean, bed were good, quiet nights sleep (which I don't get in the cities). Got a goodie bag on arriving with cookies and chips, water. etc. a nice touch. Cookies and coffee, are always available in the lobby, breakfast was hot with plenty of choices, did I mention free? Fast food across the street. No problem staying here again.

• Liked — Clean, location, price, service
  • Disliked — area
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Denver, CO
Reviewed August 1, 2007

Rooms have new mattresses and bedding, but are cramped. Only 10" from foot of double bed to bureau. Since we were here to visit friends the lack of space wasn't an issue. It would be very tight for a family with active children. Breakfast room could have been tider.
Our friends warned us that the neighborhood isn't exactly safe -- a visitor was shot last month at an adjacent property when muggers demanded money. The property where this indicent occurred was almost vacant, meaning the locals are avoiding it when they fly out of Richmond. The Hampton was bustling with swimmers enjoying the outdoor pool in the evening. The parking lot and entrances are well-lighted. Keep your "city wits" about you and don't loiter in the parking lot. The area is ethnically mixed and fast food is about all you will find.

Stayed July 2007
2 Thank miss_utility
Denver, CO
Reviewed June 18, 2007

I stayed at the Hampton Inn at the Richmond Airport this past weekend. All I needed was a clean, safe place to stay, and this Hampton Inn met my needs. They serve a free hot breakfast which was actually impressive - several kinds of coffee, fresh fruit, hot food (eggs and sausage to put on biscuits), and a large variety of muffins, bagels and pastries.
The bedding and towels certainly weren't anything special, but about what I expect from a Hampton Inn.
It's easy to find and really close to the Richmond Airport. I would definitely recommend this hotel to others.

• Liked — Good location, good value
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank vastephl
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 10, 2007

I had a 6am flight from RIC so even though I live 25mins drive away I decided it was worth staying at the airport. I'd stayed at the Doubletree a month previous and found it quite acceptable but for the night I wanted it was around $240/night which was certainly more than it was worth. Instead I chose to redeem a paltry 10,000 Hilton HHonors points for a stay at the Hampton Inn, included in this was parking for the duration of my trip. Alternatively if I was to pay for a room it would have been close to $150 for the night so the points redemption was good value.

The hotel itself is on Route 60 a stones throw from the airport so close to plenty of fast food joints. If you want something better then head into the city, a 10 min drive away.

When checking in I asked about the shuttle times. I was a little cautious when they said the first shuttle left at 5am. Even though Richmond is a small airport with checked luggage I was concerned I'd struggle to be able to check in on time. Strike one for the Hampton Inn.

We went to our room which was right beside the elevator despite my Hilton preferences noting I was to be far from the elevator. Strike two.

The room itself was quite OK, it was suitable for a short overnight stay near the airport and certainly had quite a Hampton Inn feel to it. I did have a couple of bottles of water and chips on the bed, even though my HHonors Gold preferences didn't ask for them. Nice touch.

We turned on the TV and were struggling with the remote. The batteries weren't flat (the red light on the TV was blinking whenever I pressed a button) but it just wouldn't do anything. I phoned down to reception and was told someone would attend to it. They never arrived but somehow the remote started working sporadically. Don't know how...The remote was coated in a rather sticky substance though. Nice.

As we weren't sure about the shuttle we tried calling a few cab firms but none were able to help or just fobbed us off to other people. We called the Marriott Courtyard next door and their shuttle runs from 4.30am, if you have an early flight it might be worth going next door and bribing the driver to take you.

The bed was comfortable enough and the bathroom amenities perfectly acceptable for a hotel of the standard. I still can't understand why hotels do soap and not shower gel though!

We chose to get up early the following morning expecting quite a few people to be chancing their arm at getting the first shuttle. In the breakfast room (which doesn't appear until 5.30am) a few airline crew were assembled. The driver, in his wisdom, asked at about 4.50am if anyone wanted to go a little earlier. We jumped at the chance along with the airline crew and had no problems with catching our flight.

Overall I'll say this was a below average stay. Sure this is a Hampton and I usually stay at Hiltons when within the Hilton family but it just didn't come across too well. With the exception of the driver the service was mediocre and a few small touches could really make this a lot better. In the future I'd much rather stay at the Homewood Suites or Doubletree. The Hampton does make for a good value Hilton points redemption though.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank OP2002
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed September 14, 2006

I am a huge Hampton Inn fan. I have to say that the staff at this hotel were very pleasant; my problem is with the management. For some reason, the management had decided to offer less than 20 channels on the TV. I could not even get my Fox News fix. Apparently the folks at the front desk had received numerous complaints concerning this matter. The clerk readily brought up the100% satisfaction offer. I accepted, the first time that issue had ever arisen in the years I have patronized Hampton Inn. The rooms were very good as was the continental breakfast. The TV issue was a big deal to me, however. I would urge anybody considering staying at this hotel who considers TV selection important to first verify the problem has been corrected.

Stayed November 2005
4 Thank maryanddave
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandston
Courtyard Richmond Airport
Richmond Airport Hotel
Richmond Airport Hotel
#7 of 15 in Sandston
Candlewood Suites Richmond Airport
Hampton Inn Richmond-Airport
Four Points by Sheraton Richmond Airport
Hilton Garden Inn Richmond Airport

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Richmond Airport Hotel? Share your experiences!