“Good Stay at this Nice Airport Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Richmond Airport Hotel

Richmond Airport Hotel
Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Sandston
Charlottesville, Virginia
“Good Stay at this Nice Airport Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2009

We stayed at this hotel the night before we went on our trip to Club Med in Florida with the family.

The front desk was nice enough to upgrade us to one-bedroom suites and gave us rooms on the same floor.

I was fortunate enough to use the outdoor pool which was very comfortable and enjoyable. They even have an outdoor volleyball court.

The hotel shuttle was on-time as usual. Operates every hour on the half-hour. Runs actually 24 hours a day (on demand at the wee hours of the night)

Rooms were comfortable but some parts of the hotel were aging and in need of some shape up.

Would stay here again if needed.

• Liked — Proximity to Airport
  • Disliked — Nothing really
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank caneshockey31

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Saratoga Springs, Utah
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2008

I stayed at this location for 3 nights while attending a trade show downtown Richmond. While not at all convenient to the downtown area the hotel itself was fairly accessible. The hotel itself seems to be on the decline and it starting to feel its age. The room was a little dated, and the hallways were dark, dank and all round gloomy. The beds as always were comfy, certainly Hilton standard, the breakfast buffet was decent, and the warm cookies as always were good! One thing that was disappointing was that there was NO upgrade for HHonors diamond member, and I am not sure why that was since the hotel was far from full? I probably would not return, but I wouldn't have a problem staying there again if I had too!

• Liked — Breakfast buffet, and free warm cookies...
  • Disliked — Location, aging interior.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank trngdir76
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2008

I read other reviews for this property on TripAdvisor. I was hoping for a little more than I found based on the reviews. While I thought the hotel was good, it was not as modern as I expected. The rooms were a little tired.

However, the front desk staff was great. Friendly and attentive. The property is clean and safe. The Doubletree's famous warm chocolate chip cookie was awesome. And, for those travelers needing access to the Richmond Airport, the location can't be beat.

If I need access to the airport again, I would stay at this property.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Tired room
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank RoadWarrior519
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2008

I traveled to the Richmond area on business and chose this Doubletree for its proximity to both the airport and the company I was visiting, plus I got an extremely reasonable rate of $89/night.

The hotel shows a few signs of age but everything is clean. The restaurant staff was friendly each morning when I had breakfast. I ordered room service for dinner each night, for the sake of convenience and also because there didn't seem to be many dining options in the surrounding area. The room service guy, Chuck, was great, and the food, while not gourmet by any means, was just fine for my tastes.

The only annoying thing was that my room was missing a remote control for the TV. I didn't make an issue out of it though. Just dealt with having to push the buttons myself.

• Liked — Excellent customer service, great location
  • Disliked — Not much else in the area
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank tigerfly222
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2008

Is it me or Double tree hotels have improved since ten years ago?

This Hotel is just very convenient, and also very comfortable. The staff is very friendly and my favorite part, THE COOKIE, warm and delicious.

The room are just huge, with a separate living room. The beds are very comfortable with soft pillows.

They have a nice bar downstairs and a restaurant next to it. The waitress was so nice, and the salmon salad was just right.

Whatever you do, DO NOT ORDER THE CHICKEN WINGS, there are really small and bad.

Everything else about this hotel I love and I really recommend it if you are staying in the Richmond area or just laying over near the airport.

• Liked — Location and rooms
  • Disliked — Chicken wings
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
3 Thank Fllblueguy
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2008

My husband had a business meeting in this hotel and I came along for the trip. We stayed 2 nights. The hotel was nice enough. The decor was a bit early 90s, but decent. The front desk was exceptionally kind and courteous. There was a guy named Bruce I believe who went out of his way to be partiuclarly accomodating.

The rooms were fine. Small sleeping area and nice sitting area. The biggest downside was the bathroom - dark and dated, nothing special - not awful, just not terribly nice.

Some overall pros - wireless internet is free, the business center is free, tfhere's a free shuttle to restaurants within a 3 mile radius, decent workout facilities - even a sand volleyball court, two TVs in the room, white duvets - which are always a pleasant update to room decor, and even a reasonably priced restaurant and room service.

Cons - no free breakfast, middle of nowhere (although admittedly that's not the hotel's fault), thin walls between rooms (could hear neighbor's TV and emphysema cough), tired looking bathrooms.

Overall a good value and nice option for an airport hotel.

• Liked — Kind staff, nice ammenities and extras
  • Disliked — Bathrooms were drab
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank siteseeing1
Falmouth, ME
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2007

My wife and I stayed at the Double Tree on 10/2/07 & 10/10/07 while flying in and out of Richmond International Airport. The hotel is only a short drive and within sight of the airport but very little aircraft noise. We arrived late (for us) in Richmond. check-in was quick and after had a very good dinner at Wing's (restaurant on-site). We had a double queen suite that was very clean and all the lights and plumbing fixtures worked. The A/C was a little loud and we shut it off when we went to bed. On our second stay the night before we flew home, we actually checked in a little early and had no problems. The room was the same in the condition as our previous stay. Wing's restaurant has a very good dinner menu and also opens for breakfast at 6 AM. The only flaw that we found was the slight odor of cigarette smoke in the corridors but it was minor. We would definately stay there again when flying in and out of Richmond.

• Liked — Cleanliness, on-site restaurant and close to the airport
  • Disliked — Cigarette odor in the corridors and loud A/C
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank dhdinmaine
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandston
BEST WESTERN PLUS Richmond Airport Hotel
Courtyard Richmond Airport
Four Points by Sheraton Richmond Airport
Candlewood Suites Richmond Airport
Hampton Inn Richmond-Airport
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Richmond Airport

Been to Richmond Airport Hotel? Share your experiences!